SYE/CV Driveshaft recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SYE/CV Driveshaft recommendations

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 11-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

SYE/CV Driveshaft recommendations

I just finished up a 8.8 swap and I'm thinking of my next mod which will be a SYE/CV driveshaft. I've looked around and it looks like JB Conversions has a decent price on a SYE kit. Looks like CV driveshafts are a bit pricey though. Does anyone offer a kit which includes the SYE/CV driveshaft, and what should I expect to be a good deal. I know the SYE kit is around $200 but the drive shafts are up as high as $450. Also, will I be able to get rid of my transfer case drop when I do this mod? I have a 03 TJ with a 4 inch lift, 4.0 engine, 5 spd trans, and I added new Adjustable rear uppers when I did the 8.8. I have a slight vibe around 2k rpms which isn't bad as it fades away with higher Rpms, but I want to get it right. I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I heard good things about the advance adapters SYE ... but for a driveshaft .... why not just get a stock front driveshaft from the wrecker, and have it shortened/balanced at a shop?

even if it needs new u-joints it will still be cheaper than the 300-400 dollar ones you see online for sale ....
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Iron Rock Offroad. They carry a hack n tap kit with refurbished drive shaft for 199. It's the best deal you'll find without resorting to CL or sourcing the parts yourself.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
I heard good things about the advance adapters SYE ... but for a driveshaft .... why not just get a stock front driveshaft from the wrecker, and have it shortened/balanced at a shop?

even if it needs new u-joints it will still be cheaper than the 300-400 dollar ones you see online for sale ....
Stock frontdriveshaft off of TJ? Will other models work?
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymatt View Post
Stock frontdriveshaft off of TJ? Will other models work?
i believe anything will work, as long as the driveshaft ends are meant for the same size u-joints as those on your axle yokes.

I know for sure people have used Cherokee XJ fronts and TJ fronts. I'm sure a ford explorer front would work too.

I think the center-ball (the CV part of the joint) can be a ***** to replace if you really need to overhaul it, but in the end you end up way cheaper than $400.

There is no way in hell i would dish out that kind of money for these "designer" drive shafts from Tom Woods or whomever
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have one of these kits from Adams driveshaft, been under mine for a few years now with no issues.

SYE KIT & 1310 JEEP CV DRIVESHAFT XJ YJ TJ NP231 231J - eBay (item 320622630617 end time Dec-26-10 09:32:34 PST)
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddybrit View Post
I have one of these kits from Adams driveshaft, been under mine for a few years now with no issues.

SYE KIT & 1310 JEEP CV DRIVESHAFT XJ YJ TJ NP231 231J - eBay (item 320622630617 end time Dec-26-10 09:32:34 PST)
Thanks! Looks like a nice setup at a decent price.
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
i believe anything will work, as long as the driveshaft ends are meant for the same size u-joints as those on your axle yokes.

I know for sure people have used Cherokee XJ fronts and TJ fronts. I'm sure a ford explorer front would work too.

I think the center-ball (the CV part of the joint) can be a ***** to replace if you really need to overhaul it, but in the end you end up way cheaper than $400.

There is no way in hell i would dish out that kind of money for these "designer" drive shafts from Tom Woods or whomever
So I could find me a front DS off of a explorer or XJ, and then take it in to a driveline shop to shorten it and balance it? How much do they typically charge for that work? So the XJ/Explorer front driveshafts have the CV joint on one end??
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
StvDiego

You can guess what might work or do it right once...

The Advance Adapters SYE is a good setup which is what I have on my TJ with a Tom Woods driveshaft.

You can not go wrong, nor will you get better service, with a Tom Woods driveshaft. TW also sells a kit setup with SYE and driveshaft for under $400 shipped. There are good and valid reasons why thousands of experienced and knowledgeable off-roaders run a quality SYE and driveshaft like the Tom Wood.

Having a driveshaft fail when you need it most does not make for a fun day.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post

The Advance Adapters SYE is a good setup which is what I have on my TJ with a Tom Woods driveshaft.

You can not go wrong, nor will you get better service, with a Tom Woods driveshaft. TW also sells a kit setup with SYE and driveshaft for under $400 shipped. There are good and valid reasons why thousands of experienced and knowledgeable off-roaders run a quality SYE and driveshaft like the Tom Wood.

I find that hard to believe. It looks like they have it priced at $370 plus a $100 core charge. Core charge for what? Why would they want my original Slip Yoke junk? I don't understand? I'll call them tomorrow.
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

According to the Tom Woods site, it appears as if the setup is $500 or $525 for a TJ plus the mystery $100 core charge? How and why is this better than the Ebay Adam's Rugged Ridge SYE and CV driveshaft kit? I don't believe either are guaranteed to not vibrate, and both appear to be good products with the Tom Woods being "pretty" which I don't care about. Any advice from anyone else from experience? Thanks...
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post

In Moab 2 years ago a good friend of mine had a brand new TW driveshaft fail whilst we were on the Kane creek trail. Apparently the one he had purchased had a new type of plastic bushing in the double cardan that TW no longer use. The problem was promptly rectified and the replacement has been trouble free but it wasn't much help to us on that day.
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

JB Conversions SYE
Get a shaft made locally by a good driveline shop. Shouldn't be more than $300 or so.
Adjustable uppers and lowers
Ditch t-case drop....hell, ditch the stock skid. You're not limited anymore with your adjustment.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
JB Conversions SYE
Get a shaft made locally by a good driveline shop. Shouldn't be more than $300 or so.
Adjustable uppers and lowers
Ditch t-case drop....hell, ditch the stock skid. You're not limited anymore with your adjustment.
Thanks. That's good to know. Sounds like it will be a pretty effective mod. I'll definitely be getting this with my christmas cash this year.
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddybrit View Post
In Moab 2 years ago a good friend of mine had a brand new TW driveshaft fail whilst we were on the Kane creek trail. Apparently the one he had purchased had a new type of plastic bushing in the double cardan that TW no longer use. The problem was promptly rectified and the replacement has been trouble free but it wasn't much help to us on that day.
Yeah, I don't see spending $600 or so on a TW setup. Then they charge $100 core charge on I don't know what. Very confusing website they have for the premium they charge.

I don't understand why they want a $100 core charge for components that are being replaced that are completely different? Hmmm. Is it just another method of just charging an extra 100 bucks? HMMM...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.