Switches, realys and lights...finally in..thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Switches, realys and lights...finally in..thoughts?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
USAFCOP
1998 ZJ 

Switches, realys and lights...finally in..thoughts?

Well On a whim I started and finished this project. Four swtiches on the dash, relay box and Fogs.
The switches are from Radio shack and fit nicely. Some CAT-5 is used to trip the relays remotley from under the hood. CAT-5 works great because you get 8 leads and its easily flexed...Under the hood is a relay box that is taped because I cant find the screws... and Houses an 8 fuse AUX fuse panel. 7 30Amp relays ( 2 in use ) and a 4 gauge feed from the battery. And I have 5 unused relays for later use. The box needs some loom and what not but I ran out...Its mounted using rivets and a piece of aluminum Angle iron....I hate rust. Also If you notice on the Firewall side of the Angle iron mount the ground post....best random thought ever...Double nut and have a nice big ground post to use. It all works good. So just have to clean up the wiring and Im done....what ya think..

Any opinions?

Hopefully a new CJ-7 project in my garage Soon enough.
USAFCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Sahara Matt
Sahara in Disguise

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of keeping it all together in the box. Looks good

MY Poor mans paint job and herc, az- rockers, plus flush mount cirlce taillights

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...uliner-560064/
Sahara Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 04:49 AM   #3
JustPlainJef

Jeep wiring

I looked through some of the posts to get an answer, but this was the closest I could find, so I thought I'd bump it and ask on the same thread. (great work on the setup below, BTW. I have tons of CAT5, so I think I will use that idea...)

I have two sets of Hella 500's (one driving, one fog). I want to set them up to come on via dash mounted rockers AND also turn on when I turn on my brights. They came with all the wiring and one relay, but I need to also tie into the bright switch. Initial thought would be to buy a second relay and to wire the two relays in parallel so either the toggle or brights would kick the lights on.

Any advice / diagrams / suggestions would be wonderful.

Not that it should matter much (will add to signature later), but:

'97 TJ, mostly stock
30"-ish tires
K&N Replacement Air Filter
Rancho RS 5000 shocks
Crap Genuine Steel Rustbucket front / rear bumper / nerf bars

I think that's about it.
JustPlainJef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
USAFCOP
1998 ZJ 

Hey man. all you have to do is is go to one of your headlights and find the Highbeam wire ( the wire thats hot when you put on your HB's) than use that 12V source to trip a relay. and use the out put of that realy to trip the realy that the dash mouted rocker switch trips to turn them on ( same lead ) If you tap the high beam line with out using a relay, when you turn on the rocker switch it will also try to feed the highbeam line and blow the fuse. With the relay installed it wont be able to go backwards to the high beam but will activate when you put your high beams on. If this isnt clean just PM me ill try to explain it more clearly.

Hopefully a new CJ-7 project in my garage Soon enough.
USAFCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
JESSETHELJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here this mihgt work I think you want to have your fog lights and your brights on at the same time? Try this.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/821713/4
JESSETHELJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
JustPlainJef

Yeah, I wanna have the fog lighs on when the brights come on, but I also want a switch to control them. This way, I can have them on without the brights on if I need to.

I found that some relays (Single Pole Dual Switch or something like that) have two seperate switching circuits for the same line, so I think that's what I will be looking for.
Unread 05-16-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
RWB214

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainJef
Yeah, I wanna have the fog lighs on when the brights come on, but I also want a switch to control them. This way, I can have them on without the brights on if I need to.

I found that some relays (Single Pole Dual Switch or something like that) have two seperate switching circuits for the same line, so I think that's what I will be looking for.
Be careful doing this.. I tried to set it up that way on my jeep once and just got some smoky wires under the hood when the lighs were getting power from 2 different circuits. This will start a fire if it doesnt blow a fuse first.
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #8
JustPlainJef

I greatly appreciate the concern. What I am hoping to have is two switches, but only one power circuit. I think I'm looking for a relay with two switches for the same primary circuit. I have read about them, but never actually seen them...

Does anyone know where I could find one?

If I can't do it like that, I will likely (if possible / safe) wire up two relays in parallel, but still on the same circuit.
Unread 05-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Achped
1985 CJ6 

lol your heater was on.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #10
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wired my reverse lights like this. I wanted to be able to turn them on when I put the shifter into R, and I wanted a seperate switch, but I didn't want to worry about turning off the switch when putting it into reverse(two powers feeding the same circuit). I used two 5 post relays. When the relay is in the off position for the shifter, it opens up a second line in the relay, which i used to send power through from another relay that was wired to the switch. This way if i leave the switch on, and my shifter goes into R, it cuts off the power from the rocker switch. I'll post a diagram I drew up when I hook up my scanner later.
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #11
JustPlainJef

OK Cool, thanks! When I get home, I'll throw a pic up and see if I have it wired right...

I found a 4 pole relay, maybe it's what I need...
Unread 05-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD831
I wired my reverse lights like this. I wanted to be able to turn them on when I put the shifter into R, and I wanted a seperate switch, but I didn't want to worry about turning off the switch when putting it into reverse(two powers feeding the same circuit). I used two 5 post relays. When the relay is in the off position for the shifter, it opens up a second line in the relay, which i used to send power through from another relay that was wired to the switch. This way if i leave the switch on, and my shifter goes into R, it cuts off the power from the rocker switch. I'll post a diagram I drew up when I hook up my scanner later.
That sounds exactly what I'd like to do! I'd be interested in seeing the diagram.

Can you run the wiring from the stock taillights (reverse light) to a new lamp being used for reverse or is separate wiring required?
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
JustPlainJef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl
That sounds exactly what I'd like to do! I'd be interested in seeing the diagram.

Can you run the wiring from the stock taillights (reverse light) to a new lamp being used for reverse or is separate wiring required?
I did do that, and it will work fine as long as you aren't trying to run a pair of 2,000 watt lights off the back. You are using the original circuit for the existing backup lights AND the new ones (unless you disconnect the stock ones).

Second question, what's the best way to get just the required voltage to the relay, if I take off of another circuit? I don't want to pull too much power out of the existing circuit, and I don't want to melt any wires. Any thoughts? Resistors or just smaller wires or what?

Thanks!!!
Unread 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can run whatever wattage you'd like. I ran a line right off the battery. The stock reverse light wiring is used only to energize the relay, allowing the connection between the battery and the lights.
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
crsmith

I installed a set of reverse lightgs using the five-post relay, as was suggested. I hid the relay in the left tail-light housing, so the relay would be dry and I had access to the wire on the reverse light. By using that wire as a trigger for the relay, when the reverse lights go on, it closes the relay and completes the circuit to my 55 watt reverse lights (which are on their own power feed from the battery). I also put a switch on the dash, connected to the relay as well, so that when I flip it, the switch will turn on my reverse lights, in case I need light at night when I'm stopped somewhere.
crsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.