Sweet Coolant Smell but No Coolant Leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sweet Coolant Smell but No Coolant Leak?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet Coolant Smell but No Coolant Leak?

So as some know, I have basically had a major once over on my 2.5L. The newly replaced head, new thermostat, new hoses, new temp sensor, new radiator & cap & the new water pump replaced 11 mnths ago.
The majority of the wrok has been done over the last couple months. I notice a sweet coolant smell when i get out of my Jeep. The overflow coolant container isnt loosing coolant and I cant see any leaks anywhere. I thought it may have been just coming from the coolant bottle due the the yellow flip lid that doesnt really seal tight when snapped on. I took a balloon and stretched over the fill and snapped the yellow did over that.....fit tight then. I then took some very dense spunge foam and put a piece in the overflow channel to maybe help keep smell contained. I still smell the coolant. Any ideas ......
Also they did a pressure test on the motor when they found the cracked head which was replaced. I dont smell it coming from the exhaust either. Definitely coming from under hood area / not inside the jeep.

JB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
yv4me
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It always seems to take a long time for the smell to leave after any anti freeze spill. With the top off, I can sometimes smell just a whiff when the thermostat first opens. Maybe from the pressure forcing the vapor thru the coolant recovery bottle? As long as there are no leaks, it will go away in time.
Unread 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
brkeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I blew the plastic cap off my radiator. After replacing the entire cooling system it took several weeks for the smell to go away.
brkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Give it time to either burn off or to show its head. Keep watching for stains on and around radiator, not drips but stains & smears.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I did use engine bright degreaser to wash the engine bay down , hoping that would do it but no. Ill keep an eye on it.
JB73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.