Swaybar QD questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swaybar QD questions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
NH2112
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Swaybar QD questions

I was out doing some wheelin' with a friend this past weekend, and when he pulled his GC up onto a rock to check his suspension travel I decided I'd have to do it afterward. Well, I don't have as much as he does. In fact, it doesn't seem like there's very much travel at all.

I've been planning on getting swaybar QDs for a while but "haven't really seen a need" so far - now I do, though. Here's where it gets confusing. I've seen kits from JKS (the original IIRC), Skyjacker (but don't recall if they had them for stock heights), and Warrior Products (least expensive.) Are there any reasons to go with one over the other, besides price? And when I get that front end all dangly, what about my poor rear axle which, I'm guessing, will still be limited in droop?

'90 YJ w/4.2l & 4.0l head, Weber carb, 5-speed, 4" RC lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG MT KM2s.
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
woodie416
1999 XJ Cherokee 

for the most part, they all serve the same purpose up front. i know some are easier to disconnect over other types. i dont have any experience with any ones other than my cheap rustys offroad disconnects. as far as the rear goes, leave it alone. i think i have heard on here that it is not a good thing to disconnect the rear for safety reasons. maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A set of swaybar discos will help you flex quite a bit more than that. IMO, the JKS are the best and easiest to deal with but you pay a premium for them. Any other brand will get the same thing done, but other brands are known to rattle when driving on the street. There are also a few write ups on using Clevis pins from a local hardware to make your own version on the cheap. Personally I just carry a wrench and remove the bolt between the sway bar link and the axle bracket. It only takes a minute or two and it was free.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used the bolt removal method for over a year, works great and is free. When you disconnect the swaybar and rotate it up out of the way there is a small support on the front bottom of the spring perch that leaves a hole behind it. This is a great, convenient place to zip tie the sway bar links and hold them up out of the way of the tire.

Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects

I then ran with the home made discos above for 2.5 more years before the lift. All they do is eliminate the bolt and make the job tool free. Buy extra partss to keep spares in the Jeep and use extra washers to keep everything nice and tight.

When you get around to lifting the Jeep you'll need new sway bar links and upgrading to commercial links can be done then.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
swaybar , quick disconnect , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.