Sway Bars and Track Bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sway Bars and Track Bars

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sway Bars and Track Bars

Hey All

I'm new to the TJ world, coming from a YJ.

Can I ditch my track bars? How about my sway bars?

I did a bit of research and couldn't find much about this!

Thanks!

Unread 07-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

TJs with coil springs are different than your YJ with leaf springs. Without a trackbar in a TJ not much to keep your axle under the jeep laterally. Keep them. Swaybar less critical. Some remove although most keep them and either use disconnects for offroad or go to something like Anti-rock/Swayloc.
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do I have front and rear trac bars? Sorry if this is a stupid question..trying to learn...

I was told to ditch the rear sway bars, and just disco the front when offroading...

I was told to get adjustable trac bars (yes plural- hence my first question about front and rear)..this a pretty solid move?
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You have front and rear swaybars and front and rear trackbars. With 4" of lift your axle displacement is probably enough that you will want adjustable trackbars to recenter axle under jeep. Keep rear swaybar. Removing it is not going to add anything offroad and will give you a little more body roll onroad. Maybe check the links to make sure they are long enough but after doing that just leave the rear alone. On the front discos is a good cheap option for offroad. If you have the $$s go to an offroad swaybar (e.g. Antirock) or a dual rate swaybar (e.g. Swayloc).
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes you have a front and rear track bar. you need both of them.

keep the rear sway bar. it is flexy enough to keep connected even when off road. you will want the stability of it connected for when you are on a side hill. invest in some discos for the front, or an anti-rock.

you need adjustable track bars for lifts over 3". you can adjust them to keep your axles centered. otherwise just reuse the factory track bars.
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Front and rear adjustable trackbars - Will allow you to re-center the axles post lift. Due to the trackbars on the TJ, when you lift the axles move off center. The adj. TB's will mitigate this issue.

Front and rear sway bars - Either run front discos or replace with Currie AntiRock. Leave rear connected but make sure the end links are the correct length for your lift.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway , track , bar , removal , no

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.