Swar bar help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swar bar help

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Swar bar help

I started hearing a clunking when I turn to the left or going over a bump. Through some research I'm about 95% sure it's the sway bar as it clunks when I rock it from side to side. I haven't been able to find any information about how to fix this problem though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jonnyb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Responsible options are replace with stock links, replace with quick disconnects or replace with antirock/dual rate swaybar.
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went out and looked as i rocked it and I see the one that is loose. I'm a little tired so I didn't think to do that before I just rocked it back and forth. I'll look in to those options. There's a jeep guy at one of the places I go, maybe he'll be there tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

which would you recommend, the disconnects or the antirock sway bar?
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
sar50
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a broken sway when I purchased my jeep. I put an Anti-Rock on the front and have been very pleased. I run an RE 3.5 lift and with the Anti-rock in the middle hole, I can still get full flex out of my suspension.
sar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

is it really bad to drive with it clunking like that? I'm about to get a new job and will be moving shortly and might not have time to change it out...i was just going to get a cheap one and put it in just until i had some time and a little bit more money for an Anti-Rock...it doesn't sound very good driving around.
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb1984 View Post
is it really bad to drive with it clunking like that? I'm about to get a new job and will be moving shortly and might not have time to change it out...i was just going to get a cheap one and put it in just until i had some time and a little bit more money for an Anti-Rock...it doesn't sound very good driving around.
If you are going to drive it, I'd take the link out entirely so its not banging things up under there. You're going to have a lot more body roll in corners without link connected. Wouldn't recommend it for an extended period of time for general onroad, safety reasons, but in and of itself its not going to hurt your vehicle.
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
mquerry
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you using the stock link? If so, is it just a loose bolt? If after-market, how do the bushings look?
mquerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's a stock link and I got another cheap one to put on until I get the job thing settled and I have some cash coming in for something better. I do however have another problem now...I have a nut that is stuck. It doesn't look too badly rusted but I've been spraying it with wd-40 for about 2 days now, tapping it with hammer, heating it up...I'm about out of things to try so if anybody has any tips on that I'd appreciate it as well.
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think my next resort is to get a nut splitter and just be careful using it so I don't screw up the threads on the bolt.
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's a stock link and I got another cheap one to put on until I get the job thing settled and I have some cash coming in for something better. I do however have another problem now...I have a nut that is stuck. It doesn't look too badly rusted but I've been spraying it with wd-40 for about 2 days now, tapping it with hammer, heating it up...I'm about out of things to try so if anybody has any tips on that I'd appreciate it as well.
Which nut is it? If its either of the nuts on the stock links I would think you should be able to get a nut splitter on it and just crack it off.
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it's the 18mm one that comes with the link, which is why i was contemplating on just using the nut splitter. One more trip to the store.
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
jonnyb1984
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok got that pesky nut unstuck and I'm at the last obstacle. The top part of the link was separated from the bottom...I got the bottom part off, but the top part is stuck on the sway bar. Does that top part screw in there or does it just feed through? If it screws in I might be stuck enough to where I have to take it to a shop...i currently have it soaking with lubricant. Thanks again everybody.
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok got that pesky nut unstuck and I'm at the last obstacle. The top part of the link was separated from the bottom...I got the bottom part off, but the top part is stuck on the sway bar. Does that top part screw in there or does it just feed through? If it screws in I might be stuck enough to where I have to take it to a shop...i currently have it soaking with lubricant. Thanks again everybody.
Its a tapered bolt so it will be in there good. If you do a search there are plenty of threads about how people get those out, but options include pickle fork, pitman arm puller, whacking the corner of the sway bar (not the bolt) with a BFH, etc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.