Swapping out springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping out springs?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Swapping out springs?

I have the Full Traction 3" kit and it sags a little bit too much for my liking and i wanted just another inch or so. I was thinking of swapping in RE 4.5" coils. To do this what control arms would I have to change the lower, upper, or both. I would add extended brake lines. What else would I need? Please just don't turn this into a discussion about how thats too high for a SA.

IH8ROADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

first question do you have a SYE?
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

RE coils tend to provide actual lift a bit more than rated, so you would probably get closer to 2" more lift out of them. If you only want another inch, you should consider just adding 1" spacers on the the springs you have. But if you go with the RE springs, you will most likely need adjustable upper arms to set the geometry right.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would install a SYE I was thinking since a majority of the sag is in front of putting 5.5" coils in front and 4.5" in back. Would that be a good setup or would they not sag much from engine weight, new bumper, winch etc. Or would you recommend 4.5" in front and 3.5" rear or 4.5" all around and spacer in front to compensate for sag. Also will I need lower control arms or just upper adjustables? Would I need extended bump stops too or are the FT kit ones fine?
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any opinions?
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't swap in 4.5" RE springs since RE springs have such a high spring rate and will sit closer to 5". Your 3" components weren't designed for that high of a lift. If you're wanting to counteract sag just buy some .75" spacers or something. Those work well.
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i would just buy a set of NEW RE 3.5 coils, they will give you PLENTY of lift and you could keep what you have now, probably just adj. your TC drop if you have vibes.

good luck,

John
Unread 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97casteeltj View Post
i would just buy a set of NEW RE 3.5 coils, they will give you PLENTY of lift and you could keep what you have now, probably just adj. your TC drop if you have vibes.

good luck,

John
X2 I would consider the RE 3.5" springs. Many guys run 35s with a properly set up RE 3.5".
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What if I wanted to go 4.5" coils all around. What mods would I need on top of my full traction setup? Would the stock control arms work or would I be pushing the limit? If so what are good control arms for a reasonable price.
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well in order to do that much lift properly I would recommend a SYE and rear cv driveshaft. I would only to a TC drop temporarily with that much lift. You would need upper adjustable control arms front and rear to adjust the pinion angles. Adjustable lowers would be a good idea if you still want to stick to short arms. You'll either need adjustable trackbars or drop brackets if you don't have them already. Possibly longer travel shocks and or brake lines. You'll have to take measurements with the amount of flex you gain with 4.5".

When it comes down to it. If you want to do it right and make it easy, I would just buy a whole new lift kit. Go with the RE 4.5" Superflex kit. It is very complete. Worth the money and I'm sure you can get some cash back if you sell your current lift. You'll spend about the same amount of money if you buy new coils, control arms, etc. on your own to get 4.5" than you would have if you just got a lift kit.
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Well in order to do that much lift properly I would recommend a SYE and rear cv driveshaft. I would only to a TC drop temporarily with that much lift. You would need upper adjustable control arms front and rear to adjust the pinion angles. Adjustable lowers would be a good idea if you still want to stick to short arms. You'll either need adjustable trackbars or drop brackets if you don't have them already. Possibly longer travel shocks and or brake lines. You'll have to take measurements with the amount of flex you gain with 4.5".

When it comes down to it. If you want to do it right and make it easy, I would just buy a whole new lift kit. Go with the RE 4.5" Superflex kit. It is very complete. Worth the money and I'm sure you can get some cash back if you sell your current lift. You'll spend about the same amount of money if you buy new coils, control arms, etc. on your own to get 4.5" than you would have if you just got a lift kit.

YEP!! work smarter not harder!!

i'm running the RE 4.5 kit and JKS 1.25 BL and its great!! though i think i'm going to put a 1.75" spacer in the front to level it out but buy the kit b/c it comes complete with everything you need to run it properly.....if you go to www.4x4groupbuy.com you can get the RE 4.5" SF kit and it has AA SYE and a Tom Woods custom shaft that comes with it for FREE, call and talk to Jason he is the owner and will help you with everything....thats where i got most all my stuff from and have no regrets at all!!

-John
Unread 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
IH8ROADZ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay So I really dont want to head down that road of all thos extra things. If I put in the 3.5" RE coils how well do they retain their height and how much net lift will i actually gain?
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerboy07 View Post
Okay So I really dont want to head down that road of all thos extra things. If I put in the 3.5" RE coils how well do they retain their height and how much net lift will i actually gain?
the RE coils are known for NOT sagging and the 3.5 coils will actually give you around 4" to 4.5" of lift, i know my 4.5 coils gave me close to 5.5" of lift!
they are great coils

-John

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.