Swapping front Coil Springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping front Coil Springs

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 06-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
alt13

Swapping front Coil Springs

alright, here's the deal, i've got a '97 4cyl TJ, with a 2" spacer lift all around. this setup was great at first, but i recently installed a 9500lb mile Marker winch, and due to the extra weight the front end looks to be stting lower, still no big deal, no tire rub when articulated or anything, i just don't like how it looks. I saw in another thread that someone swapped in front coils from a XJ and said they were taller, and i wanna know how much taller are we talking? and are they really taller or just a stiffer spring? If this is a good solution i'm set cause there are 3 XJ's back home on the farm, 2 just waiting for me to take them apart!!

alt13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
matt3liv
1984 CJ8 

or, you could just swap in some stiffer TJ springs. I have an 03 SE. It has a BB, and the stock 127 springs up front. I have a Warn M6000 on the front and it sags a little bit. I'm looking for some 130 springs for the front now.
matt3liv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stock Cherokee springs will give you 1.5" - 2" of lift.

Grand Cherokee springs from a V8 model will give you around 3" of lift. If they come from an I6 model, it will be closer to 2" - 2.5" of lift.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Tinker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Stock Cherokee springs will give you 1.5" - 2" of lift.

Grand Cherokee springs from a V8 model will give you around 3" of lift. If they come from an I6 model, it will be closer to 2" - 2.5" of lift.
OK, but, is thye lift due to a taller spring or is it due to a stiffer spring. I have the same setup as the first poster and I have the 6 cyl. springs already (129's), and I still need just a bit more.
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Both longer and higher spring rate, but mostly due to the higher spring rate.

If you're concerned about ride quality, I don't think you'll notice a difference.

We did this to my friends TJ about 3 years ago and ended up using V8 ZJ springs in the front (no spacer) and a 2" spacer in the rear. It sat perfectly level like this.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
markc522

just get rusty's 3" springs.
this is a pretty common thing to do.
$100 bucks and no guessing if your spring rate/length is going to work.
yellow jeep club member #874
JEEP: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
markc522 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.