Swap Durango 5.2 into 4 cylinder 97 TJ ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swap Durango 5.2 into 4 cylinder 97 TJ ?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
kyumanaz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Swap Durango 5.2 into 4 cylinder 97 TJ ?

I heard that you can put a Durango 5.2 engine and tranny into a 97 TJ to replace my 4 cylinder. Is this possible. I saw it somewhere on the forum before, but can't seem to locate the thread. I live close to the Mexican border, and the mechanic my in-laws go to said he can do it for about $800 including the engine mounts. Do I need the Durango's wiring harness/computer, ect or can they be spliced in. He replaced an engine in a Grand Am for us aboub 5 years ago for about $350, and did a great job. This would be a cheap way for me to get some great power for my TJ. Funny how this whole Jeep thing goes. A year ago I bought it to go fishing and things like that, and now I'm wanting to upgrade everything. I don't have a great cash flow, so me doing some things in Mexico will allow me to do some things I couldn't otherwise afford.

kyumanaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There's going to be a lot more work in this than you realize. You need to splice the harnesses together and find the right computer. Your also better off getting the donor parts from another jeep. Good luck. I've seen them done before and the power is outstanding.
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It will end up running more than $800.

Here are the other things you will need to address in addition to the wiring harness and the computer:

1. Transmission (your 30RH auto doesn ot have the correct bolt pattern)
2. Transfer case (your t-case has a 21 spline input and you'll need a 23 spline)
3. Exhaust
4. Raditaor
5. Cooling fan
6. Transmission shifter (you can make the stock TJ shifter work)
7. Transmission crossmember (might be able to work with the stock skid plate)
8. Tranny cooler lines if using an auto
9. Driveshafts
10. Power steering hoses
11. Fuel line (stock line can work if it is saved)
12. Throttle

I'm probably still forgetting a few things.

It would be really tough to get it done for $800 including labor. the parts alone + $50 in fluids will quickly cut in to the budget.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
kyumanaz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What would be the easiest 6 or 8 cylinder to install?????
kyumanaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Jsinclair
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyumanaz View Post
What would be the easiest 6 or 8 cylinder to install?????
I think the major opinion is that if you're going to swap, you can swap a V8 for close to the price you would be able to do a V6. So a V8 is the better option. I'm collecting parts for the Dodge 5.2 swap (5.9 if I can find a good motor) you can get pretty much everything from Evan at Backwoods he can even splice the two wiring harness' to make everything work.. check it out
BackWoodsOffroad.com - Performance parts and accessories for off road 4x4's along with Wrangler Jeep V8 conversions.
Jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Nawarsaleh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
It will end up running more than $800.

Here are the other things you will need to address in addition to the wiring harness and the computer:

1. Transmission (your 30RH auto doesn ot have the correct bolt pattern)
2. Transfer case (your t-case has a 21 spline input and you'll need a 23 spline)
3. Exhaust
4. Raditaor
5. Cooling fan
6. Transmission shifter (you can make the stock TJ shifter work)
7. Transmission crossmember (might be able to work with the stock skid plate)
8. Tranny cooler lines if using an auto
9. Driveshafts
10. Power steering hoses
11. Fuel line (stock line can work if it is saved)
12. Throttle

I'm probably still forgetting a few things.

It would be really tough to get it done for $800 including labor. the parts alone + $50 in fluids will quickly cut in to the budget.

So im not sure what to do here, stick with the 4.0 swap and get the ax15 and 231-t case(23spline) or go with the v8 option of the dodge 5.2 or 5.9?

Well i live in California and considering the fact i want ligit smogs done in the future, to bar it i belive it would have to be a 4.0L swap.

But if i decide to go with the 4.0L can i use the harness and ecu i pulled out the cherokee, i understand i would need to flash the cherokee ecu due to it being for an auto trans...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-swap-1814738/

Nawarsaleh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawarsaleh3 View Post
So im not sure what to do here, stick with the 4.0 swap and get the ax15 and 231-t case(23spline) or go with the v8 option of the dodge 5.2 or 5.9?

Well i live in California and considering the fact i want ligit smogs done in the future, to bar it i belive it would have to be a 4.0L swap.

But if i decide to go with the 4.0L can i use the harness and ecu i pulled out the cherokee, i understand i would need to flash the cherokee ecu due to it being for an auto trans...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-swap-1814738/

you will still pass smog as long as the motor comes from the same year or newer vehicle
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
you will still pass smog as long as the motor comes from the same year or newer vehicle
Only if the emission system is intact and mated with a compatible computer that controls the environmental emission equipment...

Tags
engine swap , durango , tj , wrangler , 2.5 , 5.2 , swap , wiring harness , computer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.