JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Swap Durango 5.2 into 4 cylinder 97 TJ ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/swap-durango-5-2-into-4-cylinder-97-tj-1067181/)

kyumanaz 07-11-2010 01:06 PM

Swap Durango 5.2 into 4 cylinder 97 TJ ?

I heard that you can put a Durango 5.2 engine and tranny into a 97 TJ to replace my 4 cylinder. Is this possible. I saw it somewhere on the forum before, but can't seem to locate the thread. I live close to the Mexican border, and the mechanic my in-laws go to said he can do it for about $800 including the engine mounts. Do I need the Durango's wiring harness/computer, ect or can they be spliced in. He replaced an engine in a Grand Am for us aboub 5 years ago for about $350, and did a great job. This would be a cheap way for me to get some great power for my TJ. Funny how this whole Jeep thing goes. A year ago I bought it to go fishing and things like that, and now I'm wanting to upgrade everything. I don't have a great cash flow, so me doing some things in Mexico will allow me to do some things I couldn't otherwise afford.

crusher242 07-11-2010 02:29 PM

There's going to be a lot more work in this than you realize. You need to splice the harnesses together and find the right computer. Your also better off getting the donor parts from another jeep. Good luck. I've seen them done before and the power is outstanding.

Wheelin98TJ 07-11-2010 04:33 PM

It will end up running more than $800.

Here are the other things you will need to address in addition to the wiring harness and the computer:

1. Transmission (your 30RH auto doesn ot have the correct bolt pattern)
2. Transfer case (your t-case has a 21 spline input and you'll need a 23 spline)
3. Exhaust
4. Raditaor
5. Cooling fan
6. Transmission shifter (you can make the stock TJ shifter work)
7. Transmission crossmember (might be able to work with the stock skid plate)
8. Tranny cooler lines if using an auto
9. Driveshafts
10. Power steering hoses
11. Fuel line (stock line can work if it is saved)
12. Throttle

I'm probably still forgetting a few things.

It would be really tough to get it done for $800 including labor. the parts alone + $50 in fluids will quickly cut in to the budget.

kyumanaz 07-11-2010 10:50 PM

What would be the easiest 6 or 8 cylinder to install?????

Jsinclair 07-11-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyumanaz (Post 9772455)
What would be the easiest 6 or 8 cylinder to install?????

I think the major opinion is that if you're going to swap, you can swap a V8 for close to the price you would be able to do a V6. So a V8 is the better option. I'm collecting parts for the Dodge 5.2 swap (5.9 if I can find a good motor) you can get pretty much everything from Evan at Backwoods he can even splice the two wiring harness' to make everything work.. check it out
BackWoodsOffroad.com - Performance parts and accessories for off road 4x4's along with Wrangler Jeep V8 conversions.

Nawarsaleh3 11-21-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ (Post 9770435)
It will end up running more than $800.

Here are the other things you will need to address in addition to the wiring harness and the computer:

1. Transmission (your 30RH auto doesn ot have the correct bolt pattern)
2. Transfer case (your t-case has a 21 spline input and you'll need a 23 spline)
3. Exhaust
4. Raditaor
5. Cooling fan
6. Transmission shifter (you can make the stock TJ shifter work)
7. Transmission crossmember (might be able to work with the stock skid plate)
8. Tranny cooler lines if using an auto
9. Driveshafts
10. Power steering hoses
11. Fuel line (stock line can work if it is saved)
12. Throttle

I'm probably still forgetting a few things.

It would be really tough to get it done for $800 including labor. the parts alone + $50 in fluids will quickly cut in to the budget.

So im not sure what to do here, stick with the 4.0 swap and get the ax15 and 231-t case(23spline) or go with the v8 option of the dodge 5.2 or 5.9?

Well i live in California and considering the fact i want ligit smogs done in the future, to bar it i belive it would have to be a 4.0L swap.

But if i decide to go with the 4.0L can i use the harness and ecu i pulled out the cherokee, i understand i would need to flash the cherokee ecu due to it being for an auto trans...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-swap-1814738/

:thumbdown::thumbdown::confused::confused:

rbkelley89 11-21-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nawarsaleh3 (Post 17909138)
So im not sure what to do here, stick with the 4.0 swap and get the ax15 and 231-t case(23spline) or go with the v8 option of the dodge 5.2 or 5.9?

Well i live in California and considering the fact i want ligit smogs done in the future, to bar it i belive it would have to be a 4.0L swap.

But if i decide to go with the 4.0L can i use the harness and ecu i pulled out the cherokee, i understand i would need to flash the cherokee ecu due to it being for an auto trans...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-swap-1814738/

:thumbdown::thumbdown::confused::confused:

you will still pass smog as long as the motor comes from the same year or newer vehicle

Knuckelhead 11-21-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbkelley89 (Post 17912066)
you will still pass smog as long as the motor comes from the same year or newer vehicle

Only if the emission system is intact and mated with a compatible computer that controls the environmental emission equipment...

The time now is 03:37 PM.