suspension lift for begginers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > suspension lift for begginers

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
kingodlid
2007 JK Wrangler 

suspension lift for begginers

99' TJ SPORT 4.0L V6
I want to put a 4 inch suspension lift on it and 33/or44" tires. I want to be able to do some beginner/mid level rock crawling. I could care less about putting it in the mud. I can do it with the help of some buds. My concern is axles, gear ratios, steering column, etc. Can anyone advise me on what I [U]really needto do for a 4" suspension lift and tires?

kingodlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
tinyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forums.

1.are you sure its a v6? we have inline6's
2.fill in your profile, not just put stock for everything.
3.try finding the tj wrangler faq/basics thread, everything is covered in there.

Off the top of my head...
you'll need a sye(slip yoke eliminator ) if your jeep's a non-rubicon. stock steering is fine for 33's. your gonna need adjustable control arms tool.

*edit*
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...embers-722109/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bu...points-734737/
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, where to begin. For starters you have a 4.0 I6, not a v6. If you want 33" tires then a 4" lift is plenty, but you should do a sye and a cv drive shaft for the rear. You will need to do a front end alignment after the lift. And be sure you put the bump stops in or you will kill your fenders. You will want to regear the differentials and if you have a rear dana 35 it would be wise to upgrade to a super 35 kit, ford 8.8 or a dana 44 . If you want to run 44" tires you need one ton axles. You will need to highline the body amongst many other things.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would do the Zone 4.5 combo lift or just a 3" zone lift. I'm installing a 3" zone lift on my TJ right now and it's a very nice kit, comes with everything you need.

IMO 4" is too much lift without replacing the stock control arms with adjustable arms, you're going to need a SYE with the lift too.
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
kingodlid
2007 JK Wrangler 

My bad. Looong day flying. Excuse me, inline, not V6. Thanks for the help
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There's a very slight difference when running 33's or 44's.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
There's a very slight difference when running 33's or 44's.
just need to add a super 35/30 kit and some axle trusses
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you want to drop quite a bit of money, you aren't going to do 4" of lift properly. Most people are fine with a shrunken wheelbase, offset axles, and a fat transfer case drop. That's not doing it properly. It doesn't sound like you know why you need exactly 4" of lift so do some research and read some build threads. I think you'll quickly realize there's A LOT more to this than just slapping on some "4" lift kit" and some 33's. You'll also realize 4" is overkill for 33's. The lower you go, the better off you are. As for your axle ratio, axles, etc, it'd help if you'd fill out your profile. It's more 'applicable' than you seem to think.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
kingodlid
2007 JK Wrangler 

Reason for doing this is 50/50, crawling/asthetic. It is my DD. It's got 190K. I'm really struggling with buying a new one. I've had her for over ten years and she's very dependable. I just want to be able not have any significant issues on the trail. I don't plan on putting her in a mud bog. Looking at what Imped originally had with the 2.5 seems more logical (being that this is my DD). I'll certainly updat the post as I make progress.
Thanks

Tags
axle , gear ratio recommendation , suspension lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.