Surging and poor performance.....fuel filter? fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Surging and poor performance.....fuel filter? fuel pump?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
lwoods
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Surging and poor performance.....fuel filter? fuel pump?

Hey all, had an interesting day today. Boss needed my work truck so I drove my rig to Cincinnati and back for work today. Haven't had any problems out of it like this but on the way up, going up the hills it started surging like it was losing fuel or fire, pretty violently.

Started home and it did fine, then it started surging every now and then then progressively got worse. I realized at this point it was when I went past a certain point in the skinny pedal travel is when this got worse. Was thinking maybe gas, was down to half a tank, pulled over, filled up and dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in. Ran fine for another 15-20 miles then started surging again, in almost a rythm, and I lost so much power that I couldn't even maintain 50 on I75, so I limped on the shoulder to the next exit, pulled over, cut the engine, topped off, engine was off about 4 minutes, started back up, everything was fine for about another 20 miles then it started again, but just slightly. By this point I was home so I haven't tried anything again.

Either way, it was directly related to the amount of travel on the pedal, and either topping off or shutting the engine off and turning it back on fixed it for a while.

The only other thing that I can think of being an influence is that it was absolutly pouring the rain most the whole time.

So, fuel filter? Fuel pump? Something else?

'97 TJ 4.0 5speed, patriot blue, spice top, lift is out of the mail and on the jeep. 4.10's, Dana 44 with LSD (Detroit going in there soon), 33x12.50 Cooper STT, 4" OME springs, DT shocks, 1" Body lift, JKS quicker discos, JKS adjustable front trackbar, RE adjustable rear trackbar, SYE and Tom Woods shaft. Smittybuilt SRC front bumper, homemade rear bumper, been stolen, flopped, and recovered. Duke sucks!
lwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any codes? TPS, o2 sensor?
Unread 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
lwoods
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing, everything checks out just fine! Idles just fine, everything, just seems to happen after 20 or so minutes, then a shutoff resets whatever it is.
'97 TJ 4.0 5speed, patriot blue, spice top, lift is out of the mail and on the jeep. 4.10's, Dana 44 with LSD (Detroit going in there soon), 33x12.50 Cooper STT, 4" OME springs, DT shocks, 1" Body lift, JKS quicker discos, JKS adjustable front trackbar, RE adjustable rear trackbar, SYE and Tom Woods shaft. Smittybuilt SRC front bumper, homemade rear bumper, been stolen, flopped, and recovered. Duke sucks!
Unread 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the fuel pump assembly.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post

I wouldnt go that far yet, dropping the tank and changing the fuel pump is a job of its own.

The surging, or as i referred to as "bucking", happened to me in my jeep at random times after a deep water crossing trail ride.

Try the TPS, pop it off the back of the throttle body, spray some electrical cleaner in it, dry it out, or maybe pick up a new one < 35$.

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
$lick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
Its time for it anyway,but testing it woudn't hurt.Hook up a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail and drive it.Anything below 45psi means replace the pump.For it to surge it would be dropping much lower than 45 though.
Unread 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check the cat. Put your hand up close to the tailpipe. Do you feel a thumping or just a hot breeze.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
lwoods
1997 TJ Wrangler 

*bump* Would like to hear from someone who has experienced this problem. What happens when the TPS is going bad?
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwoods View Post
What happens when the TPS is going bad?
Erratic throttle response of an electrical nature that likely wouldn't limit any power whatsoever, not the type of problem you're having. It usually causes nothing more than an eratic idle and/or jumpiness when applying throttle.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
lwoods
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry, so what do you think? Just like it's choking out when you floor it, and if you press down too hard like going up a hill it just surges from what it should be to no power at all and then back to fine again, over and over in about 1-2 second intervals. But then turn it off, start it back up and it's fine for a while.
Unread 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just for grins, let's re-examine the TPS which operates very much like the volume control on a radio. Without the engine running, cycle the throttle lever fully about a hundred times, which you could do via the accelerator pedal if you don't want to do it at the throttle body. If the TPS is merely dirty from getting worn inside, which is how they go bad, your symptoms will likely change; they may either get better or worse after doing this. Cycling the throttle that much will "wipe" the resistor inside and either temporarily clean it off or at least move the junk (carbon) around to a different location... any of which could change the symptom somewhat if indeed the TPS itself is bad. If there's a big change after doing that, you likely have a bad TPS. If there's no change, it's probably not the TPS.

This is just a way that might help isolate the problem either away from or to the TPS.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #12
lwoods
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry,

It's hopefully gonna be a slow day at work, so I'll go out and give that a try before I head out for lunch today and we will see what happens. Thanks!
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
moparjunkee
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry

Sorry for hi jacking, but if I didn't know better, I would think that this was my rig being described. I am asking for the same solution and will be watching this thread close to see what the outcome is.
Unread 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Test the fuel system before you waste anymore time on this.Only takes a few mins and you will know if you need a pump assembly.
Unread 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
lwoods
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No problem moparjunkee, if you are having the same one stay tuned.

**Update**

I did as Jerry suggested, and I couldn't get it to do it again. I didn't get to drive far put I floored the skinny pedal and I haven't been able to do that in several days without it choking out once in a while. So it's still not definitive, but it's looking positive.

I'm back in the work truck tonight so I can't do any long range testing.

Will report back over the weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.