Superior C-Clip Eliminator install & Testing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Superior C-Clip Eliminator install & Testing

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Superior C-Clip Eliminator install & Testing

Copied my thread from JU for anyone here that doesnt browse that forum.

Superior requested to have one testing candidate from up North. Luckily we had the oppourtunity to get our names in the hat, and ended up with a shiny new Dana 35 C-Clip eliminater chromoly axle kit from Superior.

I selected a freind of mine that I thought would be perfect for putting this kit to the test.

He runs a 99 sahara with a mild lift, 33" ssr's, winch, 2.5" lift, and a bit of armor. A frequent wheeler, this Sahara see's trail time anywhere's from 2-6 times per month. In addition to his jeep being ideal for the strength portion of the testing, it is also a daily driver that logs 3-6k miles per month. Also making it a perfect tester rig for a kit that changes the sealing process at the axles.

By all means this kit is for the do it yourselfer. I think total time was about 3 hours for us to do the intstall. That was taking things slow, and included a few additional steps that wont be included in the production kits.

We started by laying everything out and matching all the parts to the list supplied with Superiors directions.

Then we tore into the sahara's rear axle. Pulling the cover, c-clips, shafts, and brakes.

Little sidenote. We got ahead of ourselves and actually pulled all the shoes off the brakes. This can be avoided if you follow the instructions, simply unbolt the baking plates, and hang the entire assemble to the side.

Next we popped the original backing plate studs out of the housing ends.

Used a small bearing puller supplied with the test kit, and removed the stock bearings. After popping the seals out with a pry bar of course.

Loved this puller. Really simple and easy to use. Doesnt slip out like those habor freight slide hammer types.

Next came the fun part. The cleaning. Probably the most important step in assuring a leak free install. We followed the directions to a "T" on this one, cleaning all the surcafes with non abbrassives like wire wheels and brake cleaner.

Shiny, see?

continued

bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Now it was time for the good stuff. Installing the new components.

The new seal and bearing housing is a two peice unit, that has a d44 axle bearing race pressed ione, and another that is designed to bolt on over the d44 race.

It is very important to get the torque sequences right to ensure good sealing, so we again, followed the supplied directions perfectly.

Using the large nuts that were supplied as spacers, we torqued the first plate to spec against the original housing flange.

Next, with a supplied drillbit, we drilled a 5th hole though the housing, using the new retainer plate as a guide.

Next came the stock drum brake backing plate. For people who can follow directions from the beginning, your shoes will still on the plate at this time. :thup2:

Next came the second half of the seal housing. Again, we used the 5th hole in the housing as a guide (after torqueing to spec), and drilled through the stock backing plate.

You can see in the picture that the 5th bolt installs from the opposite direction as the other 4. This bolt goes in before the axle shaft.

Unfortunately our camera sense faded towards the end as it was getting late. The remainder of the job was pretty much the reverse of the start, except this time we didnt need to address c-clips :thup2: :thup2:

Slid the shafts in, slip the retainer plates over the 4 protuding studs, and torq them to spec.

Here is a shot of one of the axles supplied with the kit.

I can honestly say this was one of the best thought out and well manufactured after market products I've installed to date. No additional grinding, fitting, modifying, or anything of that type was required. It just went exactly how the directtions said it was supposed to.

The kit has been in for just about a week, and about 600k now. No signs of leaks what so ever.

It goes out on its first trail test this weekend.

Just as a disclaimer, this is by no means meant to be detailed install intructions for anyone getting the kit. Superior supplies a 6 page set of instrucitons with some of the best pictures and details I've ever seen for an after market product.

This is just a writeup and review from some guys testing the kit. Hopefully providing some feedback for anyone interested in this type of upgrade.
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
wonderboy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post
Copied my thread from JU for anyone here that doesnt browse that forum.

Superior requested to have one testing candidate from up North. Luckily we had the oppourtunity to get our names in the hat, and ended up with a shiny new Dana 35 C-Clip eliminater chromoly axle kit from Superior.

I selected a freind of mine that I thought would be perfect for putting this kit to the test.

He runs a 99 sahara with a mild lift, 33" ssr's, winch, 2.5" lift, and a bit of armor. A frequent wheeler, this Sahara see's trail time anywhere's from 2-6 times per month. In addition to his jeep being ideal for the strength portion of the testing, it is also a daily driver that logs 3-6k miles per month. Also making it a perfect tester rig for a kit that changes the sealing process at the axles.

By all means this kit is for the do it yourselfer. I think total time was about 3 hours for us to do the intstall. That was taking things slow, and included a few additional steps that wont be included in the production kits.

We started by laying everything out and matching all the parts to the list supplied with Superiors directions.

Then we tore into the sahara's rear axle. Pulling the cover, c-clips, shafts, and brakes.

Little sidenote. We got ahead of ourselves and actually pulled all the shoes off the brakes. This can be avoided if you follow the instructions, simply unbolt the baking plates, and hang the entire assemble to the side.

Next we popped the original backing plate studs out of the housing ends.

Used a small bearing puller supplied with the test kit, and removed the stock bearings. After popping the seals out with a pry bar of course.

Loved this puller. Really simple and easy to use. Doesnt slip out like those habor freight slide hammer types.

Next came the fun part. The cleaning. Probably the most important step in assuring a leak free install. We followed the directions to a "T" on this one, cleaning all the surcafes with non abbrassives like wire wheels and brake cleaner.

Shiny, see?

continued
(Click free)
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
wonderboy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now it was time for the good stuff. Installing the new components.

The new seal and bearing housing is a two peice unit, that has a d44 axle bearing race pressed ione, and another that is designed to bolt on over the d44 race.

It is very important to get the torque sequences right to ensure good sealing, so we again, followed the supplied directions perfectly.

Using the large nuts that were supplied as spacers, we torqued the first plate to spec against the original housing flange.

Next, with a supplied drillbit, we drilled a 5th hole though the housing, using the new retainer plate as a guide.

Next came the stock drum brake backing plate. For people who can follow directions from the beginning, your shoes will still on the plate at this time. :thup2:

Next came the second half of the seal housing. Again, we used the 5th hole in the housing as a guide (after torqueing to spec), and drilled through the stock backing plate.

You can see in the picture that the 5th bolt installs from the opposite direction as the other 4. This bolt goes in before the axle shaft.

Unfortunately our camera sense faded towards the end as it was getting late. The remainder of the job was pretty much the reverse of the start, except this time we didnt need to address c-clips :thup2: :thup2:

Slid the shafts in, slip the retainer plates over the 4 protuding studs, and torq them to spec.

Here is a shot of one of the axles supplied with the kit.

I can honestly say this was one of the best thought out and well manufactured after market products I've installed to date. No additional grinding, fitting, modifying, or anything of that type was required. It just went exactly how the directtions said it was supposed to.

The kit has been in for just about a week, and about 600k now. No signs of leaks what so ever.

It goes out on its first trail test this weekend.

Just as a disclaimer, this is by no means meant to be detailed install intructions for anyone getting the kit. Superior supplies a 6 page set of instrucitons with some of the best pictures and details I've ever seen for an after market product.

This is just a writeup and review from some guys testing the kit. Hopefully providing some feedback for anyone interested in this type of upgrade.
Just thought i would help you out.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Interested to see how it does. I've heard it is very strong. I've got a Super 35 so I won't be getting this kit, but I have heard it is great for those running 33s.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Wonderboy, thanks a lot for fixing those posts. Not being a regular here I wasnt sure what I did wrong.

The tester has had it going for a week now, and should be wheeling it this weekend.

I agree Weezul. Having had quite a bit of experience with superior products over the years, I have faith this kit will serve its purpose for the mildly built wrangler on 33's.
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Wonderboy, thanks a lot for fixing those posts. Not being a regular here I wasnt sure what I did wrong.
You did nothing wrong, it's just that our software doesn't allow photos to be posted from new members with fewer than 50 tech posts. That prevents people from coming here solely to post inappropriate photos as has happened in the past.

Nice first thread, thanks and welcome to JF! Great pics too.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
4lo2.5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

any idea on teh price?
4lo2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lo2.5 View Post
any idea on teh price?
Sorry, just the installer here. I will report back as soon as I hear something official.
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice setup
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not being a regular here...
By the way, since you don't spend much time here, check out this thread.

LINK ---> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/super-35-a-513492/

Quite the long, interesting, entertaining read! There is some discussion of Superior's c-clip eliminators in there somewhere, as well as other items.
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
rissacher
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bad kit

bump to diff thread

Last edited by rissacher; 03-29-2009 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: bumped discussion to different thread
rissacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissacher View Post
sorry to say I had a very different experience from the original poster. This kit sucks.
I think you need to keep this to one thread until the problem is resolved. Otherwise you are just slandering a great company, a great upgrade and a great member of this forum who designed it.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
sorry to say I had a very different experience from the original poster. This kit sucks.
Care to elaborate on why you feel this way???

Its gonna be interesting to see where this thread goes....

And another note, it says that rig sees between 3k-6k miles a month?? So, 36k-72k miles per year If thats true, even I think I would start to hate my Jeep if I spent that much time in it
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I think you need to keep this to one thread until the problem is resolved. Otherwise you are just slandering a great company, a great upgrade and a great member of this forum who designed it.
link to details?

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.