supercharger and turbo charger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > supercharger and turbo charger

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
ejmonkey3

supercharger and turbo charger

just out of curiosity has anyone on here put either one on the 4.0. i know there is actually a quite a few companys doing this for jeep. just wanted to see if anyone has done it, or is, or thought about it. so yeah lets here some stuff about this guys

ejmonkey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Conundrum

Doing some drag racing?
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

there is a couple of guys who have done them, if for on road then turbo if for off then super, not worth it to most

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Binya Binya

Er hm. We're not all "guys" here.

Both my fiance and I have considered putting the Avenger Supercharger on the Jeep. We got an awesome quote from the guy for a new one after some haggling for about $1800. At the time, we have bigger issues to pay for, so we haven't done it yet. I'd love to do it though.

My fiance built his own turbo kit and put it on his Accord, and has a lot of power, and we figure ...hey, a little extra power won't hurt the Jeep. A few things will need to be modified first, and it'll use more gas, but what the hell.

So, down the road for me. =)

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"]*~*2002 Yellow Jeep Wrangler X*~*
*~*Five Speed*~*4.0 Litre*~*6 Cylinder*~*
*~*Flowmaster Exhaust*~*
*~*AEM Cold Air Intake*~*[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Binya Binya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
ThisguyhasADD
2002 WJ 

new manifold, oil lines, turbo.... whole lot more not a bolt on ha.... i would like to see a huge front mount on a jeep though!!!!
ThisguyhasADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
pwcracer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

supercharger

I installed one on my mustang and it was far from bolt on, as I had to change or upgrade the following due to SC

Fuel injectors, fuel pump, coil, CAI, and Mass Air Flow sensor, then as a result of the added power, I had to replace clutch and upgrade the radiator. To tune all of this, I had to buy a unit that connects to the EEC (via laptop) and reprogram all the fuel and spark curves as well as reduce timing due to the added cylinder pressure. I added a wide band o2 sensor to monitor fuel air ratio to prevent engine from running lean.
I love tuning my car and it has turned into a hobby for me.

Id like one for my jeep as I feel needs more power, and it would give me a chance to compete with my bros classic bronco
pwcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
ejmonkey3

both i think would be much easier than on a mustang. add ons such as these on cars tends to be more difficult due to upgrading everything else as well. but yeah i wonder how the 4.0 would hold up you know under that kind of load? thats my concern cause if anyone does put that on i mean motor will be shot after 100k give or take.
Unread 09-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
BK'sTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i like the turbo idea more than a supercharger. a turbo is free horsepower driven by your exhaust but with a supercharger, it takes horsepower to make horsepower with the belt drive and whatnot. plus a turbo doesn't put a load on the engine at idle or when your not on the gas because it only builds boost under power. plus you get the greatest looks from the ricers when you pull up next to them and rev it up and they hear the blowoff valve.

"I don't believe in repeat offenders, I believe in dead offenders." Ted Nugent
BK'sTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Go Here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/avenger-supercharger-install-286369/

http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/...ly/avenger.asp

http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...t_4/index.html

This is what I'm going with next Spring:
http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...wrangler40.htm

These should answer most of your questions.

HTH
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
ni0h

There are kits to do both.
Mr Banks had his new supercharger kit on a 98, I think it was, out touring small shops, and I just happenned to be in the right place at the right time, and I got to take it out for a bit. It's set pretty mild for longevity. You'd definitely notice the improvement. For a ballpark comparison, it's about like being one gear lower than you are, but at the revs of the gear you're in. It would make a little bit of tire noise idling in first and stomping it.
ni0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmonkey3
both i think would be much easier than on a mustang. add ons such as these on cars tends to be more difficult due to upgrading everything else as well. but yeah i wonder how the 4.0 would hold up you know under that kind of load? thats my concern cause if anyone does put that on i mean motor will be shot after 100k give or take.

The main thing to watch out for if you are going to use a turbo (and an S/C) for that matter is heat.

Heat will kill a motor real quick, which is why a good intercooler is key to engine longevity, at least in a F/I application.

To me the 4.0 is the perfect candidate for Forced Induction. It has a low compression ratio from the factory, has been known to take abuse and last 100's of thousands of miles, and parts are relatively cheap for it as well.

As long as your motor is in good shape to begin with, I see no reason why a 4.0 couldn't handle between 6-8 PSI of boost, be it from a Turbo or S/C.

And all that trash about turbo's only being good on the road is just that. You won't have any lag issues at all as long as you properly size your turbo to the exhaust output of your motor. Plus the 4.0 has plenty of torque down low, so getting up and moving into the powerband shouldn't be a problem either.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
ejmonkey3

yeah id only get a turbo, nothing beats the sound of a blow off valve plus better gas mileage, not allways underload and the best part is there cheaper usuallly, plus its alot easier messing with it trying to get high or low boost instead of trying to mess around with belts all day.
Unread 09-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
LeeGro

the thing about a turbo though, would be the lag if, unless you got a small one, then your not really doing to much. sc have a pretty good powerband.
Unread 09-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeGro
the thing about a turbo though, would be the lag if, unless you got a small one, then your not really doing to much. sc have a pretty good powerband.

But see the I-6 makes enough torque to where if you're down low in the RPM band, you can get yourself up and moving pretty good.

That's the main reason I dislike turbo 4 cylinder motors, they pull hard up top, but it takes forever to get there.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #15
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well put Jeeples.

The biggest concern with jeeps, is there is no tuning software out. You cant just plug in the ecu to your laptop like you can, per-say, on a mustang. There just isnt a market for it so noone makes it. Other than Hypertech, and then you can only do so much. Im sure there are ways to do it with preset 'chips' such as the one that kenne bell's blower comes with, or the EDGE chip.

So if you did a turbo, you couldnt just slap it together and go. Turbo cars are hard to tune anyway. Im not saying it cant be done, as i would love to build my own turbo kit, it could be done for relatively nothing. But then the tuning comes and you kinda hit a brick wall.

You dont necessarily need a new manifold for a turbo, you could run the turbo all the way back, have a rear mount turbo, intercooler upfront, some extra piping, and bada bing bada boom. Dont knock it because it has been done, (Well at least on a mustang.) and would save you from fab'ing a new manifold.

Blowers, in a sense, dont need horsepower to make horsepower. They DO, but the extra effort is so little, it doesnt matter. They CAN have Blow-off valves so if you like the sound of a BOV, then you can have it with a s/c too. And there is no fiddling with belts to achieve more boost. It is pulleys, so you get the pulley you need and put it on before you assymble everything.

And you CAN get good (in relation to stock) gas mileage with forced induction.
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.