Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

supercharger on the 2.5

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ozntz 
#1 ·
I have a 2001, with a 4 cy. My problem is that I don't have the finaces to got bigger at this time. I have a 2 inch lift with BFG AT 31 10.5s. I want to be able to run 33s with good clearance and still get reasonable power. What I am looking for is the best recomendations for power, gears, and lift. Is the supercharger worth it? What is my best choice for low end tourque as far as gears go? And, what is the biggest I could go on wheels and Tires?

#3 ·
Your not gonna be able to swap out the engine in alot of states on newer vehicles due to emissions. I dont think anyone makes a supercharger for a 2.5 but im not posative. If you do decide to throw something together in that form please let me know id be interested in hearing your plans. Sorry this post wasnt much help

#4 ·
my understanding is that as long as you regear you'll be ok. some people don't bother regearing and just deal with a little less power. yeah, it's not cheap, but it's cheaper than a supercharger i bet :) just regear, slap a k&n filter in there, and be happy you have a jeep.

J

#6 ·
some places do sell kits for the 2.5. I think jason at redrock said where he got his turbo set up done they sell kits for the 2.5. but anyway just swap gears. throw in 4.56s and youll be good

#9 ·
Quarry Adams said:
Thats for a 2.4L
Read further :rolleyes: Check the product info link on the site... the 2.4 is new. They have had superchargers for the 4.0 & 2.5 for some time.

#11 ·
mYJ said:
Read further :rolleyes: Check the product info link on the site... the 2.4 is new. They have had superchargers for the 4.0 & 2.5 for some time.
thats awsome, i had no idea they made em at all for the 4 cyl jeeps. thanks for clarifying that for me.

BTW i didnt mean to seem rude at all

#12 ·
redrock4x4 said:
You may want to contact Zach at 505 Performance and see how his turbo kit is coming along for the 4 cyl's, I know he had a few prototypes done last time I asked.

http://www.505performance.com

I recently put one of their kits on my 4.0 and I couldn't be more pleased.
Jason just wondering but what did the 4.0L SC run you?

:brickwall Dave :brickwall

#13 ·
Whether you sc or turbo the 2.5, be aware that you still have the D35 in back (unless you've already switched it). Would be real leary about adding that much power with that axle in hte back.

I'd be looking to replace teh jeep with a comparable 4.0 jeep.

#15 ·
Price verses difficulty

Avenger superchargers makes a kit for the 2.5 but its nearly $4,000. However its fairly easy to install. But is I went with a 4.0 swap that would be a lot more work and time on a DD. Plus I'm sure that I would need to replace most everything else going with it. So it is going to cost me a lot either way. What gears do you guys recommend? Thanks again

#19 ·
Wheels4186 said:
Jason just wondering but what did the 4.0L SC run you?

:brickwall Dave :brickwall
It's not a supercharger, it's a turbo. I couldn't go the supercharged route on my TJ due to the brake and power steering mods I've done, nor did I want to as unlike a supercharger, the turbo is not even there when you don't want it. I don't have a touchy pedal off road, I've gained no more power off road, unless I want it. The turbo is capable of building full boost at 1,500 rpm, or virtually no boost all the way through the rpm range if you're not under a significant load.

The turbo only spools up while the engine is under load, a SC spools up based on engine rpm. For a TJ that's wheeled hard I wouldn't even consider a SC unless it was centrifugal.

Anyhow back to your question, Zach's kits retail for $3499 which includes their new electronic fuel management (which I don't have yet, I just have a manual FMU). Eventually they will be adding ignition management to their computer as well, but for now it's not yet there. We will be selling their kits for a bit less than that, but we're not quite decided yet what our price will be. There will be a forum member discount on these. If you're interested in one contact me and I'll work up a price for you.

Another interesting thing they've recently come up with is a methanol injection kit for their turbo kits which is fully compatible with their computer. Basically what happens is you hit a switch, methanol is dumped into your intake which lowers your intake temps and increases your octane, and boost goes up by 3-4psi while you're running the methanol. Zach says they were seeing gains of up to 80 rear wheel horsepower with the methanol kit (due largely to the lower intake temps), however the engine was still running every bit as safe as with the regular kit. One methanol bottle should be good for about 20 1/4 mile passes from what I've been told, and the kit should retail for $695.

If you're looking to build serious power from a Jeep engine, Zach's the guy to talk to. They've done several 4.0's over 400hp now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.