Super 30/35 kit Yukon - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
outnumbered3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Super 30/35 kit Yukon

So I know what most are going to say but I would like to here some thoughts from you guys. I have 1999 TJ I6 Manual trans. I would like to step up to 35's and have the ablity to get Yukon Super 30 and 35 kit for next to nothing install only with gears. So my question is will the super 30/35 handle 35's (light to med) wheeling is all I do now. Who knows what the future holds for me. I know most well say hold out for a 44.I have found out 44's are hard to come by and when you do they are a lot of money and gone quick. I only need the housing for the 44 as I can also get supper 44 kit for install price only also.

I called Yukon and they said no problem with the super 30/35 handling 35's. I would like to here from people that have experience with this.

Or if someone that has a 44 rear housing lying around they want to sell me.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Generally speaking yes you'll be fine with 35's with a Super 35 but is that used Super 35 complete with its locker and are the axle shafts 30 spline?

Some "Super 35" kits aren't really true Super 35s, they include smaller diameter 27 splne shsfts. Real Super 35 kits come with a locker and 30 spline shafts.

The Dana 30 is already up to 35's, within reason. Stronger axle shafts become mandatory on a Dana 30 once a locker is added. Is that Super 30 complete with 30 spline shafts and locker?

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
outnumbered3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. It will be brand new kit from yukon with their air lockers. it looks like theirs are 30 spline. so I should be fine I know someone in the industry that is giving me a great deal but all the off road shops are telling me dont wast my money on the 35 upgrades. thanks for the help.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds good you'll have zero problems with your 35's.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 05:57 AM
XJ_jeepin_06

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run a Super 35 and have zero problems on 32s. I would imagine if you're not trying to rock bounce you'll be fine on 35s.

Now for the front I would personally stay with 27 spline axles. Most of the time you'll snap the ujoint before the shaft. If you have 27 spline shafts you can carry your factory shafts as a spare or someone else in the group will likely carry a spare. With 30 Splines you will have a much harder time finding spares on the trail Just my thoughts.

1997 TJ. Red. 4.0/AX15/NP231 SYE. D30/S35. Lokka/E-Locker. 4.10s. JK Rubi Tires/Wheels.
Antirock.

2000 2dr XJ D44HP/9in ARBs. 36" Iroks. Lots of skids/Lots of Damage. SOLD 6-6-2013
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_jeepin_06 View Post
I run a Super 35 and have zero problems on 32s. I would imagine if you're not trying to rock bounce you'll be fine on 35s.

Now for the front I would personally stay with 27 spline axles. Most of the time you'll snap the ujoint before the shaft. If you have 27 spline shafts you can carry your factory shafts as a spare or someone else in the group will likely carry a spare. With 30 Splines you will have a much harder time finding spares on the trail Just my thoughts.
I see these comments often about finding trail spares and always wonder why I should be looking to other people for my spares. If you think you need spare parts carry your own. I suppose if I broke the set of shafts I was running and then broke my set of spares on the same run then I would need to look for help from others, but that would be a rare occurrence IMO. The switch to 30 spline inners (stick to 27 spline outers) is a good move IMO. And 30 spline inners are actually pretty common on trail runs I'm on if I really did need help from someone else (in contrast to say a move like going to 35 spline rear shafts).
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM
XJ_jeepin_06

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I see these comments often about finding trail spares and always wonder why I should be looking to other people for my spares. If you think you need spare parts carry your own. I suppose if I broke the set of shafts I was running and then broke my set of spares on the same run then I would need to look for help from others, but that would be a rare occurrence IMO. The switch to 30 spline inners (stick to 27 spline outers) is a good move IMO. And 30 spline inners are actually pretty common on trail runs I'm on if I really did need help from someone else (in contrast to say a move like going to 35 spline rear shafts).
Just addressing a possible con is all. I am normally the guy who others use for spares. I don't like having to find spare parts for my broken rig. I have broken a few sets of ten factory shafts and spicer ujoints. And a yukon shaft with CTMs. This is on 33s and a heavy xj. It was always the ears or ujoint to shatter. I haven't ran a super30. I also haven't wheeled with anyone that had a Super 30, which would mean if I ran a S30 I'd need to carry an extra set of chromo shafts, $$$.

1997 TJ. Red. 4.0/AX15/NP231 SYE. D30/S35. Lokka/E-Locker. 4.10s. JK Rubi Tires/Wheels.
Antirock.

2000 2dr XJ D44HP/9in ARBs. 36" Iroks. Lots of skids/Lots of Damage. SOLD 6-6-2013
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Agreed. If you break 30 spline what's a stock shaft going to get you... 30 feet further before they break. I too know plenty of guys running 30-spline chromoly up front, both Dana 30 and Dana 44 and can't remember a time of them breaking.

I recall a number of 27-spline chromoly breakage in the last 15 years. And too many to remember stock shaft carnage both Dana 30s (u joints & shafts) and 44s (u-joints).

Chromoly shafts generally take care of the common u-joint failures.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
Agreed. If you break 30 spline what's a stock shaft going to get you... 30 feet further before they break. I too know plenty of guys running 30-spline chromoly up front, both Dana 30 and Dana 44 and can't remember a time of them breaking.

I recall a number of 27-spline chromoly breakage in the last 15 years. And too many to remember stock shaft carnage both Dana 30s (u joints & shafts) and 44s (u-joints).

Chromoly shafts generally take care of the common u-joint failures.
About the same here. We switched over to the 30 spline inner fronts after a few hub breaks on the same rigs and then the inner would go. I much prefer to keep the breakage outside of the diff and we did and also very much slowed down outer failures at the same time.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.