"Sunrider" soft top on the freeway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "Sunrider" soft top on the freeway

Heavy Duty JK hinge kits ARE HERE !!!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
billybob00
2002 TJ Wrangler 

"Sunrider" soft top on the freeway

I'm considering pulling the trigger and buying a soft top that lets you fold back the front, i.e. the "sunrider" position.

My main use of this will be driving to/from work, and if its a nice day, just flip back the top, rather than taking down the entire soft top. However, my commute consists purely of freeway driving. I have been reading that its not advised drive > 50 MPH with the top folded back in the sun rider position.

I came across a thread by someone who claims they fixed it:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/tr...nt-150756.html

However, I *don't* want to take out my windows, I want to keep them on. Essentially, I want to keep my doors on, windows up and everything, just flip back the top and drive on the freeway. Anyone do this? I don't want to spend $1k on the top, only to have it flapping madly, especially since that's the main reason I want it.

Also: I've got to say I'm not a fan of the look of the Trektop NX -- I don't like how its slanted at the back. I much prefer the boxy square look of the factory soft top. Are there any soft tops with the sun rider feature + original factory look? I think the original Bestop Sunrider does this, but I've heard its being discontinued (?)

Thanks!

billybob00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You can get by with the windows on, but you should unzip the back window and roll it up. Otherwise the top becomes like a big parachute and it puts some stress on the back window.
banjo_picker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
billybob00
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So the only way it is really usable is to roll up the back window?
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
DezertTJ
Phrasing

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't suggest running it with the windows on while on the highway. I have hit 70mph without windows and the front flipped back, but it still seemed like it was too much for the top. <55mph with windows on has been fine with mine, but anything above 60 is pushing it
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
billybob00
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ah... that's pretty disappointing. This is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a soft top in the first place. There's no way to secure it in place?
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its not really a matter of securing it… it is more that it will beat itself to death and eventually get torn up.

Definitely want the back window down. I have left my rear windows on at 65 mph and it wasn't a problem. But you do have to make some allowances. There is a lot of force rom the wind. If the windows are out, then you can go 75 if you want. It won't be instant death for your top, but it will be flopping.

I love my sun rider and have used it for many years with a 20 mile highway commute. The time difference between going 65 and 75 mph on a 20 mile commute is only 2 minutes. That is 2 more minutes that you can enjoy having your cool sun rider top!
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
fromme
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob00 View Post
Ah... that's pretty disappointing. This is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a soft top in the first place. There's no way to secure it in place?
If that's the only reason you want a soft top, then I suggest you install a sunroof in your hardtop with removable glass.
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #8
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't had any issues with the back with my Bestop Sunrider at highway speeds and the windows on.

I have had issues where the top will disconnect from the velcro on the door surrounds and flap if the doors are not on. The biggest annoyance though is the top does not stay inserted in the header when the header is not attached to the windshield.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Understand if you don't like the look, but I've had both the Sunrider and now the Trektop NX, and the latter is better in most every respect. HATED those stupid door surrounds in the Sunrider, and it was louder too. And I had the same problem rikkards had, although I eventually screwed the front flap to the header. That sort of worked.

OTOH, the sunrider feature on the Trektop NX requires you to pop the front half out of the door surrounds and that's not particularly easy unless you just leave them out. They need pull tabs. I end up using a small flathead screwdriver to pop them out.
goducks3620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks3620 View Post
Understand if you don't like the look, but I've had both the Sunrider and now the Trektop NX, and the latter is better in most every respect. HATED those stupid door surrounds in the Sunrider, and it was louder too. And I had the same problem rikkards had, although I eventually screwed the front flap to the header. That sort of worked.

OTOH, the sunrider feature on the Trektop NX requires you to pop the front half out of the door surrounds and that's not particularly easy unless you just leave them out. They need pull tabs. I end up using a small flathead screwdriver to pop them out.
The documentation states it should click in but it seems like whatever is supposed to "click" is not pronounced enough or the slot in the header is too tight to get it in that far.
Once I have to replace the top I may look at the Trektop NX.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have not had the problem of the top pulling out of the header. My top is pretty old. I am the second owner… I think the first guy bought the top with the Jeep. Maybe they made them better back then? I don't know.
Unread 04-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
billybob00
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo_picker View Post
Its not really a matter of securing it… it is more that it will beat itself to death and eventually get torn up.

Definitely want the back window down. I have left my rear windows on at 65 mph and it wasn't a problem. But you do have to make some allowances. There is a lot of force rom the wind. If the windows are out, then you can go 75 if you want. It won't be instant death for your top, but it will be flopping.

I love my sun rider and have used it for many years with a 20 mile highway commute. The time difference between going 65 and 75 mph on a 20 mile commute is only 2 minutes. That is 2 more minutes that you can enjoy having your cool sun rider top!
Which top do you have, Trektop or Supertop? I understand there is a difference between the two.
Unread 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob00 View Post
Which top do you have, Trektop or Supertop? I understand there is a difference between the two.
Supertop I believe. It came with the Jeep when I bought it in about 2003. The guy I bought it from was the first owner and I'm pretty sure he got the top when he bought the Jeep new in 1999. Back then I don't think the Trektop existed, but I could be wrong.
Unread 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
Colorowdy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I never remove any of my windows for the sunrider on my LJ I unzip both sides of the rear window, and unzip the rear portion of my side windows to allow the air pressure to escape.
Colorowdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorowdy View Post
[…] unzip the rear portion of my side windows to allow the air pressure to escape.
Good idea! I never thought of trying that. I always just take them all the way off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.