summer top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > summer top

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
ClassicTj
2013 JK Wrangler 

summer top

anyone ever run a factory soft top without windows, duster, and windjammer. i dont have a safari top and i started running this setup for summer just wondering if the factory top will be more waterproof then a safari.

ClassicTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
OpeyTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i would have to assume it would be at least somewhat
OpeyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i run the soft top without the windows off all summer. if you have the doors on when the rain is coming, roll up the windows and pull the seats up like you would when someone is climbing in the back and the seats will stay bone dry. and if the doors are off, keep a tarp in the jeep and throw it over the seats.
JohnW720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have both. I'll run the factory soft top without windows if there might be a chance of rain. It provides a lot more coverage for the rear passenger than the Safari top.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
zjwn2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I usually run soft top with no back windows for most of the year if it rains and you have the doors on you stay pretty dry. I usually do not have a back seat in and have removed the carpet. We did not have a cold winter this year here so my jeep has been like this since january
zjwn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
TBombadillo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I also run the factory soft top without windows for most of the summer season. Works well to keep both sun and rain off of front passengers (wife is a Irish redhead with very fair skin...). However, if it rains without the windows zipped in I often will have some wetness of the top of the back seat and on the carpet above the wheel wells. The real challenge is road spray while I am driving on wet roads. Spray from other cars and my rear wheels can effectively, if slowly, soak anyone or anything in the back seat. I tend to throw my windows in the back seat if I am concerned.
The real reason that we can’t have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post “Thou shalt not steal,” “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” and “Thou shalt not lie” in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment. -George Carlin
TBombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Johann2006

I tried to use the factor top, however, the sliders that mount on the back are worn and needed a bungie cord to hold one in place. Needless to say that looked very unkept. Have decided to go with a bestop. Only thing I don't like is the additional charge for the windshield frame kit.

Also, I noticed the noise was a bit excessive - flapping through the cabin. I know...it's a Jeep right!
Johann2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
ClassicTj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys when I figure out how to post a pic from my phone I will. We have had two down pours and it's dry. I really like the look as long as the rear corners hold up with my highway driving.
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
TBombadillo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I found that my rear seatbelts caused most of the flapping noise. A couple of lightweight bungee cords to hold each belt to the roll bar worked well. I even found some all black ones so they blend in with the roll cage padding.
The real reason that we can’t have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post “Thou shalt not steal,” “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” and “Thou shalt not lie” in a building full of lawyers, judges, and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment. -George Carlin
TBombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicTj View Post
Thanks guys when I figure out how to post a pic from my phone I will. We have had two down pours and it's dry. I really like the look as long as the rear corners hold up with my highway driving.
Easy fix. I wrap bungee cords around the center of corner flaps to the roll bar. They keep the bottoms tight in the tub rail, keep them from flapping, and also take care of the seat belt flapping.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run that way most of the summer....just put the windows and soft doors in the back in case....
The top has held up fine driving it like that in the highway
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.
sheriff1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
ClassicTj
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is how I set it up
image-195938092.jpg   image-3334239304.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.