suggestions on a front bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > suggestions on a front bumper

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
akread
2005 TJ Wrangler 

suggestions on a front bumper

Hey guys,
so im in the market for a new front bumper to replace my stock one. i need something not to expensive because im on a tight college budget but good quality and looks decent. also preferably something not too heavy. currently im looking at the src front stinger from smittybuilt but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i don't necessarily need a stinger. any style would be fine.

thanks,
andy

akread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Grindahl

Don't make the Smittybilt mistake like I just did...
Grindahl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

some guys here, myself included, dont like to buy something thats not made in the USA. Smittybilt is not a USA product. i have a Fabtech prerunner bumper and it seems to fit what youre looking for as well. its not heavy, looks great IMO, and when i purchased it the price wasnt too bad.

this is my favorite pic of my TJ but you can see the bumper pretty well in it.

when i said 'not heavy', i meant just the weight. its a pretty strong bumper made with quality American steel. ive pulled out more than a few really-stuck rigs of all sizes.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here are some better shots.

wired my stock lights through the grille

the bumper also came with a pair of HUGE shackles that go through very large hoops on the front. i dont keep them on because of thieves and someone else may need one while wheeling.

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akread View Post
Hey guys,
so im in the market for a new front bumper to replace my stock one. i need something not to expensive because im on a tight college budget but good quality and looks decent. also preferably something not too heavy. currently im looking at the src front stinger from smittybuilt but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i don't necessarily need a stinger. any style would be fine.

thanks,
andy
Reasonably priced. Not heavy. Great design and quality product. Sounds like Savvy!!
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you can get a lod off road front for under 200 shipped, they had a 54 inch and a 44 inch shorty for the same price standard with d ring mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Reasonably priced. Not heavy. Great design and quality product. Sounds like Savvy!!
thats a great suggestion as well. if i didnt like mine so much id get a savvy bumper.

Savvy Off-Road

Unread 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akread View Post
Hey guys,

thanks,
andy
I bought my Warn bumper on Ebay for $200.Sturdy,but not real heavy (44lbs.).
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand why everyone thinks they have to replace there front bumper. I would just use the stock one but cut off the ends.

I finally destroyed my stock one and ran without a front bumper for almost a year (you really don't need one since you have a 3" tube running across the front frame rails). When I finally did decide I needed a front bumper (to have an attachment point for flat towing), I went to a local fab shop and had them bend me a copy of the stock bumper but in 3/16 steel. Works great $70.

PS> don't get one of those bumpers made of 2x5 tube or whatever. They add 2 more inches of overhang out front which reduces your approach angle (that's one of the reasons I really like the stock bumper, it adds virtually no length to the vehicle).
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
akread
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
here are some better shots.

wired my stock lights through the grille

the bumper also came with a pair of HUGE shackles that go through very large hoops on the front. i dont keep them on because of thieves and someone else may need one while wheeling.
that one come painted? just curious. i really like the looks of it. thats prob what ill end up with. doesn't seem too pricey i think i saw around 350?
and thanks for the suggestions guys
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My vote is for savvy bumper. You can run it almost flush (depends on the sway bar), and it will grow with you. Well priced, and it weighs less than stock (can't beat that for weight).
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
akread
2005 TJ Wrangler 

also do you have the front steering box skid? i was thinking about getting this with the bumper also.
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If I had all my wisdom now....when I bought my front bumper... I would have 110% bought the savvy bumper.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
eblack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the jeeptubes.com bumper. Thats what i have and its the best investment i have made... well close to the aussie, or front and rear winches.
eblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Front trail stinger
only 29 pounds and the welds are BEAST

smittybilt is crap

Poison Spyder Customs:

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.