Stupid simple hood part, can't find! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stupid simple hood part, can't find!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stupid simple hood part, can't find!

I'm looking for the plastic bushing that goes on the prop rod hinge. Been googling all morning, I must not know what its called, because surely someone makes a replacement part.....

Sheesh, in the last 12 months I have had more plastic and rubber go on me. Just yesterday I replaced all my windshield washer hoses and connectors. Last weekend it was all my vacuum hoses. I'm guessing 17 yrs is the upper limit

JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181101498347

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/bushing-5020057ab.html
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Link 1 is the retainer clip, not the hinge bushing. Link two is a different design for a different model Jeep altogether.

Unread 11-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Link 1 is the retainer clip, not the hinge bushing. Link two is a different design for a different model Jeep altogether.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seeing this post reminds me I've lost both pieces of bushing off my hood prop. It's not something that's listed in the parts list so it'll need a little thinking about. I'll have to measure the required inside/outside diameters and see what I can come up with.

With the milder climate here my vacuum and washer lines seem OK still, but I now wonder for how much longer...

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know if you come up with anything.

My rubber and plastic lines were all showing heat deterioration. Inside the cab were mostly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Seeing this post reminds me I've lost both pieces of bushing off my hood prop. It's not something that's listed in the parts list so it'll need a little thinking about. I'll have to measure the required inside/outside diameters and see what I can come up with.

With the milder climate here my vacuum and washer lines seem OK still, but I now wonder for how much longer...
Unread 11-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have you tried calling Daveysjeeps? You could try calling Crown. Last resort would be to try the dealer to at least get a part number. GL
OME ZJ/LJ lift, 33" MT MTZ on AR-23 wheels, front and rear JKS trackbars, 1" seat risers, MORE 1" BL and MML, factory Ipod adapter. Light khaki jeep club #72
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So the plastic/rubber parts have a ... 17 year shelf life. Forget about the wrecker where you might get a 15 year old part. My bet is Chrysler still sells brand new ones.... and how expensive could it be? Even if it is $17.00... thats only $1.00/year.
Unread 11-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's not a separate part. For $60 and up, I can buy a whole new prop rod, includes the bracket with captive bushing. I'm thinking it just plain ain't available, but I'm still hoping to spend $ versus $$

As for calling Davey's, well, billiebob is close - I don't want another 15yr old part.
Unread 11-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed my hood prop, at least for now. I was trying to think where I'd find plastic top hat bushings of the size required and remembered my old AGM battery hadn't been weighed in, and was still in the garage. It has two 8mm posts on top of the battery and I'd put the caps off the replacement on there. I trimmed the ends off so I had a pair of flanged tubes, I then checked fit, too wide, and trimmed a bit from the circumference. With the flanges trimmed down too they do the job.

I had been looking at the sharpie marker in my toolbox and wondering if that would work, along with some clear PVC hose and possibly some PVC outer from electrical cable. Typing this I'm also thinking the glue lined heat shrink I have here at home would do a good job and not come off easily.

Here's what I've done. Might try the heat shrink next if this doesn't last.
hood-prop-bushing.jpg  

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, not a bad idea. I have a pair of those caps handy myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.