stupid rednecks..... now the left front tire rubs when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > stupid rednecks..... now the left front tire rubs when turning

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

stupid rednecks..... now the left front tire rubs when turning

So today my sister wanted to take my jeep to a hiking spot with her boyfriend.

The way up is a gravel road about 10 miles long, very much like a washboard. And on top of that, it is a little too thin, not quite big enough for two cars to pass each other.

So on the way up, some *** holes with no shirts on in a buick from the 80s some swirving around a corner, slam on their brakes, the rear end of their car starts to slide, and slides right into my steel bumper, completely ****ing up the rear panel of their car. Of course they speed away without stopping, running another person off the road a few hundred feet back.

DAMAGE: So far the only thing that is actually damaged is the steering wheel now must be completely upside down to steer strait. It doesn't pull however. The bumper is barely scratched, and that is the only body damage. However, when I make a hard left, the tire rubs against the lower control arm.

Also, the inner fender inside the wheel well up against the fire wall is dented? I dont know how the tire could be pushed back that far because of the control arms, but someone enlighten me? Is there anything else I should look for?

How should I go about fixing this

Thanks.

Leave your inbred childish comments somewhere else. They are not welcome on JF
wmeyer116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

not all rednecks are bad, i say this cause i is one,

that being said your tie rod, drag link are both prob bent,

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dude... That sucks. Where were you? Since you are close I can give you a hand. Visually inspect everything.

Did you file a police report? Get a tag number?
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ha well so am I, But not to the extent of driving drunk, without a shirt, and hitting someone and speeding off.

thanks for the info. Im gonna check that tommorrow
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
mil
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dang, time for an insurance claim. Didn't your sister call the cops????

x2 on the tierod and drag link being shanked.
mil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jacks river Is where she went. I wasnt even there but they didnt get a good look at their car, or the license plate
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

if all it hit is the bumper, the frame is likely bent... which forced the axle to one side via the track bar/steering arm, causing the steering to be way off

if the frame aint bent I think yer sis may have told you a story. a bumper impact ain't gonna bend any steering/suspension links.

the tire/wheel will/should have a nice mark on it if they ran it in the ditch and bent the track bar.. the control arm brackets might be bent.

some pics and more dammage info would help..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
hvacguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im in ooltewah if you need some help bro
hvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmeyer116 View Post
jacks river Is where she went. I wasnt even there but they didnt get a good look at their car, or the license plate
I was up in that area this weekend and believe me...there's some stupid stuff that goes on up there on Grassy...I didn't do anything stupid, but know of some stuff that's gone down up there haha. Sorry about the jeep man. Time for an upgrade though if it's the tie rod/draglink

This is off topic, but up there have ya'll heard about any good wheeling? I saw a road that had a HUGE ditch down the middle of it and it looked pretty fun to drive down, but I was wondering about where it goes...sorry for the off topic post lol

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
if all it hit is the bumper, the frame is likely bent... which forced the axle to one side via the track bar/steering arm, causing the steering to be way off

if the frame aint bent I think yer sis may have told you a story. a bumper impact ain't gonna bend any steering/suspension links.

the tire/wheel will/should have a nice mark on it if they ran it in the ditch and bent the track bar.. the control arm brackets might be bent.

some pics and more dammage info would help..

I too am a little suspicious of your sister's story.

Can you post some pics?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If someone hit me, I think I'd get a good look at their car, and if they would have tried to drive off I would have followed them. Also, I would assume there would be paint on the bumper from the other car.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

i would never let my sis borrow my jeep... especially "to a hiking place with her boy friend" but maybe thats bc she has a problem with running into curbs and i dont usually like the guys shes dating lol.

but if her story is true... based on your profile im guessing you still have stock arms... the car couldve hit your tire and bent the lower control arm or damaged the bracket.

honestly just crawl under your jeep and take some pics... if you cant tell whats bent by looking then post up and im sure we can help you.
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
TheBoogieman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

I too am a little suspicious of your sister's story.

Can you post some pics?
That's what I was thinking.Boyfriend was driving and showing off his skills,wrecked the Jeep and Sis made up a story.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
If someone hit me, I think I'd get a good look at their car, and if they would have tried to drive off I would have followed them. Also, I would assume there would be paint on the bumper from the other car.
I think if someone came around a curve flying, and slid sideways into my vehicle, I would TRY to get a look at the car and the driver and the license plate, but I'd probably be more concerned about my underwear at the moment.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmeyer116 View Post
So today my sister wanted to take my jeep to a hiking spot with her boyfriend.
Number 1 rule of lending tools, money, or vehicles. Never loan out any of those that you personally don't have the wherewithal to replace or that you care about the condition they are returned in. Makes enemies, ruins family relationships, and loses friendships if something you care about comes back worse for wear and you didn't want it to.

Quote:
The way up is a gravel road about 10 miles long, very much like a washboard. And on top of that, it is a little too thin, not quite big enough for two cars to pass each other.

So on the way up, some *** holes with no shirts on in a buick from the 80s some swirving around a corner, slam on their brakes, the rear end of their car starts to slide, and slides right into my steel bumper, completely ****ing up the rear panel of their car. Of course they speed away without stopping, running another person off the road a few hundred feet back.
Just out of simple curiosity, how do they know the rear quarter was so badly damaged when they never saw it? It's not possible to see damage on another vehicle that passes you like that.

Quote:
DAMAGE: So far the only thing that is actually damaged is the steering wheel now must be completely upside down to steer strait. It doesn't pull however. The bumper is barely scratched, and that is the only body damage. However, when I make a hard left, the tire rubs against the lower control arm.
Based on that, I would suspect that they have damaged the trackbar or as others have said, draglink and/or tie rod.

Quote:
Also, the inner fender inside the wheel well up against the fire wall is dented? I dont know how the tire could be pushed back that far because of the control arms, but someone enlighten me? Is there anything else I should look for?

How should I go about fixing this

Thanks.
You need to get some good clear pics up if you want more help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.