Stupid Question # 2 -- Fuel Injector Cleaner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stupid Question # 2 -- Fuel Injector Cleaner

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
AnonymousCoward

Stupid Question # 2 -- Fuel Injector Cleaner

Is fuel injector cleaner worth its cost?
Will it do more harm than good?
Does it replace the need for a $100+ professional cleaning?
How often should it be used?

It's not a question I see often though I have seen it come up in other threads. We're confronted with it in every auto parts sales-event paper so I thought it would be worth bringing up. I'm sure there's more than one new TJ owner sorting out his maintenance schedule that has wondered if this is a useless shiny bauble or a worthwhile purchase.

AnonymousCoward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Run a quality fuel like Chevron with Techron, and you don't need an injector cleaner.
I have access to a Motorvac injector cleaner, and I have used it on my own vehicles, as well as others. I have yet to see it make a difference, despite the claims of the manufacturer.

I run Chevron fuel almost exclusively in my cars, and have no EFI related problems. Chevron because they are EVERYWHERE in this town, but any national oil company brand will do.
Curly
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need it unless you're using the spray stuff to clean the IAC.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
Is fuel injector cleaner worth its cost?
No, all modern gasolines now contain sufficent fuel injector cleaning additives. That did not used to be the case which caused clogged fuel injectors when fuel injector cleaning additives sales surged. But old habits die hard so not many know they no longer need to add more fuel injector cleaner additives. Years ago, I used to have a whole bunch of Jeep dealerships as customers so I used to BS with the mechanics when I had a chance. I asked them a few times if any had ever seen a truly clogged fuel injector and only the old-fart mechanics had but they all pretty well said they hadn't seen one in many years. None of the younger mechanics ever had.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel , injector cleaner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.