stubborn fan clutch removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > stubborn fan clutch removal

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

stubborn fan clutch removal

I have been trying for hours to remove the fan clutch but cannot not get it to come off. I used the instructions on Jeep TJ 4.0L Fan Clutch
but it will not come loose.
I put a strap wrench on the pulley but cannot keep it from moving.

I am terribly frustrated, I have soaked the nut in liquid wrench penetrating oil but it doesn't help.

Any ideas on how to get this thing off?

Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
fatcop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I removed the whole fan assembly with the clutch attached when replacing the water pump a couple weeks ago and I would think that would be a much easier option than what you are going through. You have the added benefit of being able to see what your doing and do your work standing up at a bench, rather than hunched over into your engine compartment. As I recall it was 4 bolts holding the assy to the water pump studs. It all came out in one piece and was the clutch, the fan, and the the flat bell thing that the serp belt rides on turning the water pump.

Last edited by fatcop; 10-04-2009 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: nuts, bolts, same difference :)
fatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just did mine yesterday took me like ten minutes. Take an air hammer if you have one and place it on the left side of the nut(so it hammers down to the left to loosen) and it will come right off. then just spin it off and pull the whole fan assembly out change it and put it back in. Use air hammer to do the same thing to give it a little tighten.
Hella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
F9K9

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella View Post
Just did mine yesterday took me like ten minutes. Take an air hammer if you have one and place it on the left side of the nut(so it hammers down to the left to loosen) and it will come right off. then just spin it off and pull the whole fan assembly out change it and put it back in. Use air hammer to do the same thing to give it a little tighten.
Applying tension to the belt, a large crescent wrench and a BFH will accomplish the same thing in removing the fan/clutch assembly w/o damaging the nut. Either way works fine. Not all have the luxury of air tools.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have an air hammer and I will give that a try, I'm to tired to work on it any more today.
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well the fan clutch comes with a new nut so if it gets damaged oh well as long as it comes off. But just use a wider chisel head and it wont dig into the nut.
Hella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Or just dull it up a little with a grinder.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yep air hammer with a long broad chisel on the end. I have taken off 100's of fan clutches with them before, always made a slight indentation into one of the flats on the nut, then angled the chisel toward the direction it spins off, and they come right off 99% of the time.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pickle fork, large crescent wrench and air hammer works well...
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
I have been trying for hours to remove the fan clutch but cannot not get it to come off. I used the instructions on Jeep TJ 4.0L Fan Clutch
but it will not come loose.
I put a strap wrench on the pulley but cannot keep it from moving.

I am terribly frustrated, I have soaked the nut in liquid wrench penetrating oil but it doesn't help.

Any ideas on how to get this thing off?
I just had to remove a very stubborn one. No matter how hard I smacked the large crescent wrench I had sticking up, all it did was spin the pump pulley on the belt.

I took an adjustable sliding clamp and just used the sliding part to clamp around the belt in such a way as to tighten the belt around one of the other pulleys.

Then I got a chunk of solid bar stock about 2 feet long, wrapped some rags around the core support rod to protect it and then went all home run on the handle of the crescent wrench. Popped it right loose.
Unread 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Air hammer did the trick!!! Thanks to all, I love learning these tricks.
Unread 10-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
Air hammer did the trick!!! Thanks to all, I love learning these tricks.
That's what I came up with after all else all else failed...
Unread 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I just had to remove a very stubborn one. No matter how hard I smacked the large crescent wrench I had sticking up, all it did was spin the pump pulley on the belt.

I took an adjustable sliding clamp and just used the sliding part to clamp around the belt in such a way as to tighten the belt around one of the other pulleys.

Then I got a chunk of solid bar stock about 2 feet long, wrapped some rags around the core support rod to protect it and then went all home run on the handle of the crescent wrench. Popped it right loose.
that fails to work for me... the water pump is spinning under the belt how can i make the water pump not spin
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use a big strap wrench to prevent the pulley from spinning as I loosen the nut. If the strap wrench slips, flip it around since it only holds in one direction. Caution that most strap wrenches are not big enough for that pulley, you need a big one. I found my strap wrench in my Lowe's plumbing department. The strap wrench for sale in their tool department wasn't big enough.
strap-wrenches.jpg

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i was looking at doing that method.. but i got to wait till its warmer for tha... i have York OBA so removing my serpentine belt is not a quick thing to do, i have to take my airbox out just to get to the bolts under the york to losen the belt. If worse comes to worse, i will have to do that one warm day soon.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.