Stroker or Supercharger TJ? What would u do & why? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stroker or Supercharger TJ? What would u do & why?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

View Poll Results: Stroker or Supercharger
Stroker 31 70.45%
Supercharger 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #46
wrangler04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

v8 swap or why not do both? Enough power is good, more is better and too much is just right

wrangler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #47
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

stay away from avenger, plan on adding a stand alone engine management system to the 4.0 if you do much to it. The factory conmputer doesnt read boost, so it gets pretty lean up high, and if it isnt lean due to bigger injectors then your way rich down low. Pick your poison, my 4.0 will be stock until i pull it, and then i would need a 3.3 or 3.9 cummins or something to drop in.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #48
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
stay away from avenger, plan on adding a stand alone engine management system to the 4.0 if you do much to it. The factory conmputer doesnt read boost, so it gets pretty lean up high, and if it isnt lean due to bigger injectors then your way rich down low. Pick your poison, my 4.0 will be stock until i pull it, and then i would need a 3.3 or 3.9 cummins or something to drop in.
Ya know.... I'm not sure where you guys keep coming up with this stuff... the only difference in the KB and avenger units is the KB comes with SOME programing. Older Avengers used engine oil and needed a PITA return line put in.... If the Avenger is set up and used as its designed/recomended, it works flawless. I've got more experience with Avengers than I care to talk about, If you intend to run it like a race horse constantly and or tow with it, then YES, you should use a programer and expect to spend alot time fooling around with it.

on a personal note, I'd go with the Avenger before messing around with piecing a turbo kit together or purchase a turbo kit.... Only speaking from experience tho.

My life pretty much revolves around Diesel and I still like the 4.0 in the jeep, to get a 4bt to keep up with a properly geared 4.0 requires black smoke.....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #49
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
Ya know.... I'm not sure where you guys keep coming up with this stuff...
For me its from personal experience with owning an avenger SC on my 4.0 jeep 5 years ago.
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #50
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The first mistake most make is substitue power adders for gears...... a 4.0 that lugs without a charger, will still lug with a charger.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 10-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #51
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The first mistake most make is substitue power adders for gears...... a 4.0 that lugs without a charger, will still lug with a charger.
not my mistake, i ran it on a jeep with 31's and 3.73 gears. I wanted to see what a fast jeep was like, but even when i swapped out the SC 4.0 for a 5.3 vortec it wasnt fast.
Unread 10-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #52
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
not my mistake, i ran it on a jeep with 31's and 3.73 gears. I wanted to see what a fast jeep was like, but even when i swapped out the SC 4.0 for a 5.3 vortec it wasnt fast.

4.56's make a properly geared 4.0 with both 5spd's and auto overdrives with 31" tires, the v-8's have the same/worse problem than the 4.0 due to the higher rpm torque curve even tho they have a little more power.

There is no substitute for proper gearing.

I have a Lj Rubi at the shop I put ARB/5.38's in for 33's which eats one of the KB supercharged tJ's I put together with 4.56's and 33's for lunch, bone stock no programmer, air or exhaust. they didn't believe me either.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 10-08-2010, 03:59 AM   #53
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm running the RippMods Supercharger (and have proper gears) and the thing is absolutely awesome. If you call RippMods' technical support, Ross will talk to you for as long as you want about their product to make sure your questions are answered.
Ox Lockers and Warn Powerplant Winch
Improve MPG: The Factors Affecting Fuel Efficiency
Cummins 4BT Jeep Wrangler TJ Diesel Conversion
VnutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #54
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
4.56's make a properly geared 4.0 with both 5spd's and auto overdrives with 31" tires, the v-8's have the same/worse problem than the 4.0 due to the higher rpm torque curve even tho they have a little more power.

There is no substitute for proper gearing.

I have a Lj Rubi at the shop I put ARB/5.38's in for 33's which eats one of the KB supercharged tJ's I put together with 4.56's and 33's for lunch, bone stock no programmer, air or exhaust. they didn't believe me either.
4.56 + 31's + 5 speed = 65 mph 2550 rpm

maybe i should have tried it, but its to late now
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #55
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you also do understand that diablo sport has come out with the tuning abilities for the 2005 and the 2006 models right? meaning you can add what ever injector/map sensor to the jeep and have the jeep tunes via the cmr software. and its done with out any piggy back system

just some information out there for yall.
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #56
TurboRubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running a Turbo Charger from 505 Performance with intercooler. It was installed prior to the new Diablo Predator tuners being released with the ability to Flash the Jeep PCM, so I'm still on a piggy back computer until I've got $300 to blow (pun intended).

It runs dynomite, and I experience 0 lag, I say again 0 lag or spin up waiting.

Super chargers definatley have their advantages being belt driven.. The power consumption by the belt, is more than made up for in power gains, and there is no added back pressure in the exhaust.

But, as for the poll... For an off-roading vehicle, I'd vote the stroker. Once your mod is done, there are no extra components to maintain, break or carry spare parts for.. No extra vacums or belts to worry about. Granted, the Turbo/Super chargers don't require tearing the motor apart to install... So pick your deamons. Put the work in up front and rebuild the motor, or put your work in later tuning and maintaining.

All 3 options make the Jeep kick even more a$$.
TurboRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #57
gbean120
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
First off, Titan has HORRIBLE reputation, at least on naxja.org and jeepstrokers.com. I have read many people describe all different kinds of failures from them. Just do a search on those forums. That being said, I have never ran a titan stroker (nor will I) so this is all second hand internet "knowledge" so take it for what it's worth, and also, I just had to replace my camshaft in my Golen stroker, so they aren't perfect either. Lastly, unless Titan is using an expensive custom offset ground crank, their stroker is NOT a 4.9L as they advertise, and I doubt they are for that price.

Bottom line, 258 crank =

4.5L stock bore
4.6L .030 over bore
4.7L .060 over bore
4.8L with a 4" bore, and you are REALLY pushing the thickness of the cylinders walls at this point

Anything with larger displacement is going to require using longer stroke than a stock 258 crank. Also, the small gain in displacement doesn't do much for you, especially considering the cost in parts that CAN'T be picked up at autozone for under $200.
Can you simply drop in a 258 crank and leave the stock bore to increase displacement? Will that lower the power band?
Unread 10-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #58
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you keep the factory pistons, you'd need to use both the 258 crank and rods. That would yield a 4.5L. The power difference from .1L is negligible, so yeah, you'd get a lot more low end power if that's what you are asking.
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #59
gbean120
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
If you keep the factory pistons, you'd need to use both the 258 crank and rods. That would yield a 4.5L. The power difference from .1L is negligible, so yeah, you'd get a lot more low end power if that's what you are asking.
Can you change the camshaft to lower the torque band?
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #60
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, they do make cams that make more over all power including on the low end, but the stock cam is kinda hard to beat for low end grunt. I run a Comp Cams 68-231-4 IIRC and it's got pretty good low end, but especially compared to the huge cam I had in there before, it's awesome. It's all relative I guess. I wouldn't expect to get a whole lot better low end just from a cam swap compared to the stock cam.

Tags
stroker , supercharger , turbo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.