Stroker or Supercharger TJ? What would u do & why? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stroker or Supercharger TJ? What would u do & why?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

View Poll Results: Stroker or Supercharger
Stroker 31 70.45%
Supercharger 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #31
beauhawk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I said throttle response, but there is the whole turbine in standing in the way of exhaust escaping thing...

Man, we hijacked this thread pretty good!

OP- That Kenne Bell kit makes SUPERB torque down low, even though I voted stroker.

beauhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #32
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
If your current motor is in good shape, I'd say supercharger. If it needs rebuilt anyways, do the stroker. The 4.9L is a waste of money though. It's WAY more expensive than a regular 4.6/4.7L stroker and doesn't get you that much more. If you are going to spend the money on a 4.9L, just do the v8 swap. The main attraction to a stoker (I6 jeep motor that is) is the bang for the buck. You loose that value with the 4.9L.
Not true. The Titan 4.9L Stroker is $3,500 which is the same price for the Golen 4.7 Stroker. However, the 4.7 from Titan is about $900 cheaper than the 4.9L. I spoke to both company's and I like the back ground and detail work done to the Titan motors. The 4.9L will give you 315hp and 345 on the torque. The 4.7L 285hp and 310 torque. Yes, more money, but more power I feel well worth the price. With that much power does one really need the forced induction?
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #33
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just what is the detail and background work you like from Titan over Golen's strokers?? You do also know about the additional items you will need on both engines right!?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #34
wj_jeep92
2002 WJ 

from my limited knowledge id agree with almost everyone above. you wont lose any low end grunt but your not going to gain anything off the line. if its also a dd i would go with a turbo instead of any other option. if you can manage to stay out of boost, you can get good (for a jeep) gas mileage. with a supercharger your always boosting unless your completely off the gas. i want to eventually turbo my wj so maybe im biased. just my 0.02
wj_jeep92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #35
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Every time I read a thread on Jeep forums about forced-induction I die a little inside. Get frustrated, and can normally only bring myself to post something about lots of mis-information...

Reality for most people, you should do what best fits your mechanical ability and budget...
If it were me, I would without a doubt go 3/4 Gen Chevy V-8.
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #36
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvestris View Post
My dad had one of those in his 01 Dodge Ram. Pulled a 4,000 lb boat around and he had plenty of power to spare. You could easily hear that factory turbo spool up. I wish I kept it.
No that would be the 5.9 in the 01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
Silvestris
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
No that would be the 5.9 in the 01.
All I know was that it was a 24 valve inline 6 and it had masses of power.
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
gbean120
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I love these threads! Blaine, I have seen your truck and its massive! My wife loves your camper! I hope I can haul my family / jeep / trailer up on a run during the holidays! I just got an 8.1L Suburban and looking forward to seeing if that 450 ft lbs can pull it all. I wanted a diesel, but was scared to deal with a used one.

I know one of you JF guys (I forgot who) put supercharger on his. It has a highway shutoff so that its not wasting gas. Then he scored a sweet older 4.2L and used it to stroke is motor too! So don't ask which one, do both! FYI: He said he ran 6lbs with the supercharger and lost 3lbs after stroking. So stroking gives you the equivalent of 3lbs boost (based on his 4.6). So he changed a pully out and put it back to 6lbs of boost. I think I read someplace that each lb of boost is about 12 ft lb. I like the 4.6 for reliability, don't forget to tune it!

<<>>EDIT FOR GRAMMER AND MISSUSE OF WORDS.....and BTW the supercharger that this guy had was an Avenger.
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #39
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Just what is the detail and background work you like from Titan over Golen's strokers?? You do also know about the additional items you will need on both engines right!?
Not so much detail than not seeing where the extra grand is coming from... You get all the seasoning and machine work with Titan that you get with Golen, but the price difference becomes confusing. Look, I'm sure that both are great builders.

As for the additional item, yes I know what it takes. I just like to hear what others are doing, planing, and thinking about when it comes to forced induction or strokers.

One of the facts that I have come to terms with is that my present power plant is very healthy at nearly 90K miles. So, why rip it out to replace it with a stroker when a simple supercharger will work just fine for my needs.

Just learning by listening...
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #40
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First off, Titan has HORRIBLE reputation, at least on naxja.org and jeepstrokers.com. I have read many people describe all different kinds of failures from them. Just do a search on those forums. That being said, I have never ran a titan stroker (nor will I) so this is all second hand internet "knowledge" so take it for what it's worth, and also, I just had to replace my camshaft in my Golen stroker, so they aren't perfect either. Lastly, unless Titan is using an expensive custom offset ground crank, their stroker is NOT a 4.9L as they advertise, and I doubt they are for that price.

Bottom line, 258 crank =

4.5L stock bore
4.6L .030 over bore
4.7L .060 over bore
4.8L with a 4" bore, and you are REALLY pushing the thickness of the cylinders walls at this point

Anything with larger displacement is going to require using longer stroke than a stock 258 crank. Also, the small gain in displacement doesn't do much for you, especially considering the cost in parts that CAN'T be picked up at autozone for under $200.
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #41
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
Hey now your changing the terms lol. Superchargers on Diesels is not a good animal as we all know. Turbo's belong there agreed. Gas motors I have seen turbo cars I have driven turbo cars (in the 1000 plus range that are daily driven). I would rather have the twin screw ( KB or whipple)

BTW no matter how good you tune a turbo there is ALWAYS a lag in the turbo kicking in. I have even seen guys run them with one small and one big. Theory that the small spools almost instantly then it spools the big one faster. They basically come on hard around 3k. That is why guys don't normally run them. A twin screw blower has power instantly and almost makes a perfect graph. Meaning it makes almost a perfect table top on the the chart power goes straight to peak and stays there from 2k thru 6k or what you have it setup for. Issue is I don't think they make one for a 4 cyl or 6cyl. I know you can make one off of a supercharged ford thunderbird.

LOL,. I'll run a turbo over a supercharger. this is some of the stuff I custom build and put together.

The chevy is a street legal driver with around 1100HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
I've been considering the Dodge 6.7 I6 Cummins Turbo diesel. That thing would rock!!!Big engine though. not sure I could stuff it in there. Maybe if I break the inline 6 I have I'd consider it.
How bout twins on a 6.7?

it's already been said....... proper set up/size can have no lag and blow a supercharger away.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #42
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

People who make general statements about power adders, what they can and can't do, and where they do and do not belong have no idea what they are talking about and should stop commenting. You are not speaking from any real world experience and you are just repeating what you heard some other guy repeating about what they read on the internet.
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #43
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Calm down man, this is a simple thread on a simple subject.
Unread 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #44
AZSahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I considered both and decided to put an L-76 V8 in my 98 TJ. A cheaper option would be to salvage an LM7 powertrain/harness/computer from a wreck. These gen 3/4 GM V8s put up amazing numbers with incredible dependability, and they can be adapted pretty easily to a TJ.
AZSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #45
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I was planning to go ahead and order the Kenne Bell supercharger and would you know it they stop producing it! Crap, this always seems to happen to me. I am not real sure about the Avenger and the RIPP is somewhat new. Now what? I guess the KB units were not selling enough to keep producing them. OK turbo guys lets hear it cause I know its coming...

Tags
stroker , supercharger , turbo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.