Stroker or Supercharger TJ? What would u do & why? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stroker or Supercharger TJ? What would u do & why?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

View Poll Results: Stroker or Supercharger
Stroker 31 70.45%
Supercharger 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvestris View Post
I've never really been a fan of turbos because it takes time for them to spool up, also all the oil lines and how problematic they can be, although they create incredible amounts of boost. I'd go for a centripetal supercharger. Although it creates small amounts of boost, It's fairly cheap, easy to install, and sounds pretty cool too. A stroker wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I would imagine that a turbo wouldn't be the best idea for a trail rig. Supercharger gets my vote.
and when's the last time you drove a turbo 4.0L? or even rode in one? or even researched enough to learn about turbos?

Read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...ml#post6564578

scrapinrocks YJ -

Over 250 ft-lbs of torque before 2500rpms. at the wheels.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...-picts-661277/

NOPLANS - 4.6L stroker + turbo -

^^he seems to be doing pretty good on trails

I keep saying it...and I'll say it again...a properly setup and sized turbo system will talk to the 4.0L very nicely, with zero lag.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #17
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
When I've got 5000 lbs in the bed of the 8000 lb truck towing a 3000 lb trailer with a 4500 lb rig on it and the trailer has a weeks worth of firewood, water, spare parts, and fuel on it, I'm quite pleased that the tow rig has a turbo on it.
Hey now your changing the terms lol. Superchargers on Diesels is not a good animal as we all know. Turbo's belong there agreed. Gas motors I have seen turbo cars I have driven turbo cars (in the 1000 plus range that are daily driven). I would rather have the twin screw ( KB or whipple)

BTW no matter how good you tune a turbo there is ALWAYS a lag in the turbo kicking in. I have even seen guys run them with one small and one big. Theory that the small spools almost instantly then it spools the big one faster. They basically come on hard around 3k. That is why guys don't normally run them. A twin screw blower has power instantly and almost makes a perfect graph. Meaning it makes almost a perfect table top on the the chart power goes straight to peak and stays there from 2k thru 6k or what you have it setup for. Issue is I don't think they make one for a 4 cyl or 6cyl. I know you can make one off of a supercharged ford thunderbird.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #18
Silvestris
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
and when's the last time you drove a turbo 4.0L? or even rode in one? or even researched enough to learn about turbos?

Read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...ml#post6564578

scrapinrocks YJ -

Over 250 ft-lbs of torque before 2500rpms. at the wheels.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...-picts-661277/

NOPLANS - 4.6L stroker + turbo -

^^he seems to be doing pretty good on trails

I keep saying it...and I'll say it again...a properly setup and sized turbo system will talk to the 4.0L very nicely, with zero lag.
I'm not saying that turbos absolutely can not do well on a trail, far from that, but it's costly in order to. It's a lot easier, cheaper, and more practical to get the low RPM power needed in a supercharger.
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^ actually if you get anything but a roots (twin screw blower) a centrifugal blower acts almost the same and also in the same RPM range so it is another worse thing for jeepers. What rpm do most of us wheel in? I am around 500-1200 crawling.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #20
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If your current motor is in good shape, I'd say supercharger. If it needs rebuilt anyways, do the stroker. The 4.9L is a waste of money though. It's WAY more expensive than a regular 4.6/4.7L stroker and doesn't get you that much more. If you are going to spend the money on a 4.9L, just do the v8 swap. The main attraction to a stoker (I6 jeep motor that is) is the bang for the buck. You loose that value with the 4.9L.
Unread 08-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #21
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

4.6/4.7 is great for tons of cheap power. Supercharger would be great for a DIY guy with no engine building skills (me). In time, when I need more power, I'll stroke mine. The 4.0 has been a great engine, and I'd like to continue it's service.
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
Hey now your changing the terms lol. Superchargers on Diesels is not a good animal as we all know.
You should study up on roots style blowers and where they came from.

GM developed the 6-71 blower in it's Detroit Diesel division in 1938 and all of them since have to be adapted to use on GAS motors.

The number designation should have given you somewhat of a clue. It represents a diesel engine with 6 cylinders of 71 cubic inches of displacement.

Also the later Detroits use Turbos to feed the blowers.
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvestris View Post
I'm not saying that turbos absolutely can not do well on a trail, far from that, but it's costly in order to. It's a lot easier, cheaper, and more practical to get the low RPM power needed in a supercharger.
you clearly haven't investigated enough, resulting in inaccurate web wheeling .

scrapinrocks built his turbo setup for under $1000, including the fuel management. and his torque curve is a thing of beauty at only 6psi, making torque before the dyno can even register it.

I dare you to find a Series II M90 Eaton from a Grand Prix in the junkyard, and have an intake manifold adapter machined for less than that. Later M90's have the coating on the rotors.

The only way you could go that cheap with a supercharger is an M90 from a Supercoupe...and that still requires more fabrication.
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #24
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been considering the Dodge 6.7 I6 Cummins Turbo diesel. That thing would rock!!!Big engine though. not sure I could stuff it in there. Maybe if I break the inline 6 I have I'd consider it.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #25
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
I've been considering the Dodge 6.7 I6 Cummins Turbo diesel. That thing would rock!!!Big engine though. not sure I could stuff it in there. Maybe if I break the inline 6 I have I'd consider it.
yikes! Look into a 4BT Cummins instead.
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
wavelength20
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larubie View Post
Planning on doing the 4.9 Stroker soon, but I like the Supercharger idea for the YJ. Not realistic to do both (over kill, I think) so lets see what you guys think?

Anyone who has done this and what they think would be great too.

How much time do you have to complete the modifications? If the engine is performing well as it sits now and you do not have a lot of time, the supercharger may be your best bet.
wavelength20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #27
Silvestris
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
My dad had one of those in his 01 Dodge Ram. Pulled a 4,000 lb boat around and he had plenty of power to spare. You could easily hear that factory turbo spool up. I wish I kept it.
Unread 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So how much do you want to spend??

stroker + boost is the best option for a torque motor and a great sounding engine IMO.

If I had the extra money I'd just go with ripp's supercharger since it's a day job and has a lot of people (who actually own it) backing it up.
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #29
beauhawk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I own a turbo car and love it! I've driven many other turbo vehicles and they're all a blast. I have built up and tuned my system over the years, and helped others work on their cars. However, a turbo gas engine would be my last choice on the trail. Throttle response, never mind lag, will NEVER be the same (unless you want to run anti-lag, and you don't). Premium fuel will need to be run to get the most out of it and keep the "knocks" away. And lets not get started on RELIABILITY. Sure you can throw some forged low comp pitsons (yes, 8.8 is fairly low) and even a stroker, but then you're getting in used LS1 territory. V8 swaps aren't the most difficult or expensive ways of making power. I fourth the V8 swap!

Nevermonday- I appreciate your shared enthusiasm for turbos, but I have to ask, how did he turbo a Jeep for under $1000? Obviously a used turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and DIY tuning was in order. Is he a welder? Most fab shops would look at the whole same sided intake/exhaust layout and instantly quote 1k just for a manifold. Does he have a buddy that gives him free dyno time? That's not cheap either. Not trying to stir anything up, I'm just curious...
beauhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #30
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Again, you guys are confusing swaping a small displacement turbo engine into a jeep with putting a turbo on a 4.0L+ I6.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LOOSE LOW END POWER BY ADDING A TURBO TO YOUR 4.0L!!!!!!!!!

You are just not going to gain anymore low end power, unless you run a pretty small turbo, then you might get some more umphf below 1500rpm. I don't know about you guys, but I don't need anymore low end grunt for off road, just more power to push my barn door down the highway.

Please think about the actual application of what you are talking about.

Tags
stroker , supercharger , turbo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.