Stroked 4.0...What else can I expect to need to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stroked 4.0...What else can I expect to need to do?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Stroked 4.0...What else can I expect to need to do?

I picked up a 2002 TJ X automatic with engine issues. Decided against a V8, going to stroke it instead. Nothing too crazy, going to a 4.5.
It already has a 4" short arm lift so I'll probably do a 1" body lift so 35s will fit comfortably.
I am figuring on:

The bill from the engine rebuilder = $1500-$2000
Labor for engine pull/reinstall = unknown quantities of beer and pizza
Possibly gears = $1000 (may try the 3.73s for a while first to save $)

I am mainly wondering about whether or not there is anything I'll need to do/upgrade for everything to work as it should. And will I have to run higher octane gas?

Thanks in advance. And here's a couple poor quality pics:

img00698.jpg

img00701.jpg

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
jeff83
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had a stroker in an MJ that i had. I ran 93 octane in it. As far as other things with 35s you will need bigger brakes, upgraded steering like a currie setup or something, CV driveshaft and SYE. Other than that it is mostly personal preference when it comes to everything.
1999 XJ Classic (daily driver)
1997 TJ Sport (building)
jeff83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably gonna want a new rear axle, that doesn't have an D44 in it I'm guesing?
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
vincec
2001 TJ Wrangler 

wow the way I hear it around JF if a jeep dose not have a Dana 44 it like driving a ticking time bomb planted right underneath your balls.
vincec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincec View Post
wow the way I hear it around JF if a jeep dose not have a Dana 44 it like driving a ticking time bomb planted right underneath your balls.
Welp, if you plan to wheel at all and have a stroker and 35" tires, thats pretty much exactly what it is
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
see for yourself.
http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
Probably gonna want a new rear axle, that doesn't have an D44 in it I'm guesing?
Yeah, it's a D35. I know it won't last when I start really using the rig but it should do me for a couple months until I figure out what I want to do with axles/gearing and free up the money to do it after spending $ on the engine.

I need to keep this project from costing me too much so I'm going to try to wait for some really good deals before I jump into anything.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
sigged.
Jblankster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Buford
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to build my engine eventually. low comp forged pistons/rods and a stroker crankshaft (hopefully forged) and maybe a power adder =)
1998 Wrangler Sport - 3" Full traction lift w/ quick discos, 1" front spacers, 33" TSL, dynomax exhaust/K&N filter, KC longrange bumper/windshield lights, Hi-lift, BestTop Sunrider soft top, Kicker speakers front/back, AMSOIL oil in all drivetrain.
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious, what sort of engine issue does it have that has you looking at a stroker? Not saying you shouldn’t do it, just wondering why (a 4.0 that new rarely has to be rebuilt).
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
Yeah, it's a D35. I know it won't last when I start really using the rig but it should do me for a couple months until I figure out what I want to do with axles/gearing and free up the money to do it after spending $ on the engine.

I need to keep this project from costing me too much so I'm going to try to wait for some really good deals before I jump into anything.
Then just stay with 33s, or what ever tire size you have. There's not reason to go up the 35s just yet if you haven't even wheeled it yet and seen it's capabilities. If you just want it for looks or because you think you'll gain some magical amount of offroad performance then you're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

You only need to run higher octane gas if you increase the compression ratio. I personally would keep it close to stock and just run regular 87 octane.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Then just stay with 33s, or what ever tire size you have. There's not reason to go up the 35s just yet if you haven't even wheeled it yet and seen it's capabilities. If you just want it for looks or because you think you'll gain some magical amount of offroad performance then you're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

You only need to run higher octane gas if you increase the compression ratio. I personally would keep it close to stock and just run regular 87 octane.
That was two years ago. You should look at his rig now...

His build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...ch-kit-825558/
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
That was two years ago. You should look at his rig now...
Oh son of a....

Don't always associate the jeep in someones profile to the one their posting about, because people can have more than one Jeep, but know I'm curious, did he ditch the TJ for that JK?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hello McFly!....
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.