Stripped torx bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stripped torx bolt

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
ohfourtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stripped torx bolt

Is there anyway to get a stripped torx bolt out of the side of my 04 tj? I've heard drilling but i'm not sure how and how would i rethread the hole for a new bolt?

ohfourtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Use a dremel and cut a slot in it so you can get a regular screw driver on it. Or go to the hardware store and buy a screw extractor. Ill see if I can find a link.

Something like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...id=00952154000

Last edited by alvinl; 04-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Added link
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if the extractor doesnt work and you drill it out you'd buy a tap n die set to cut new threads into the nut...

where exactly on the side is the torx screw? is it part of the windshield hinge?
jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Hilljack27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to me when I was putting on new door hinges. I tried all the techniques mentioned above but the bolt was so stuck in there it wouldn't budge. So I took it to a local body shop and they took it out for like 12 bucks.
33" x 12.5" Mud Terrains
Aggressive style but a practical everyday driver.
Hilljack27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
ohfourtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yea its on the side not sure if it is part of the windshield but im trying to put on mirror relocators, i'll try the dremel first though, thanks for the help
ohfourtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The torx bolts in the windshield have RED locktite on them.
You need to heat them with a torch which softens the red locktite.
The bolts will then come out very easily.

I just went thru this last weekend.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Lawrence
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
The torx bolts in the windshield have RED locktite on them.
You need to heat them with a torch which softens the red locktite.
The bolts will then come out very easily.

I just went thru this last weekend.
Not need to torch anything. The trick with torx (red loctite or not) is to make sure you keep your bit perfectly square to the bolt head. If you have an impact gun, they will come out nice and clean every time.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
alex71
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would weld a nut to the head of it before i drilled it out. I welded a nut to all mine and got them out easy

Vote for TJOFTY!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...18/index9.html
alex71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex71 View Post
I would weld a nut to the head of it before i drilled it out. I welded a nut to all mine and got them out easy

X2 I have this problem every time i touch the jeep, So now i buy new bolts to replace the junk torx head bolts. As said above, Weld a nut to it, And be done, Not work putting effort into somthing that can be taken out in less than a minute when you weld a nut to it.
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
nj tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i had recently changed my tailgate hinges and stripped my torx bolts. I managed to drill the heads out with the same size bit as the head. Once i drilled the head out the leftover stud threaded right out. This may not work in all situations but it worked for me.
nj tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Now that it is stripped out....the proper size one of these will do the trick.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Fred99TJ

I have welded a nut to the head and removed it that way
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
27mtaylor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used my dremel to cut the sides off the bolt. Then I was able to use a pair of vise grips to turn the bolt.
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
walldk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain

I had the same problem doing the same project. The forum gave me the same advice. After I trashed the torx head I cut a slot in the head with a carbide bur in a dremel. We used an impact driver and an air impact wrench with a large flat tip impact bit. It did not budge. We tried to apply heat but found that getting heat to tranfer down the torx is tough without damaging your paint. The one that is stuck on mine can be reached from the inside through the glove box hole and never got hot enough to make me take my finger off of it. We used a small butane torch and shot the flame through the center of a bronze bushing. I did not try to weld a nut to the head. We decided that the bolt must have been cross threaded during installation and gave up before doing any more damage. I used some 3M two sided foam tape between the mirror bracket and hinge surface. I put a stainless steel bolt and flat washer in the other hole. It has been about 3 weeks now and I have not had any problems. I need that $12.00 body shop fix.
walldk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Whatever you do, do not buy an easy-out. They will break, and then you will have to deal with both a stripped/stuck torx bolt and a broken easy out inside of it. Ask me how i know!
Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
xltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.