JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Stripped Brake Caliper Bolt at the knuckle (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stripped-brake-caliper-bolt-knuckle-554770/)

JeepRocks86 05-05-2008 06:58 PM

Stripped Brake Caliper Bolt at the knuckle

So apparently my problem of my unknown noise wasn't my hub but my caliper becoming loose.

So the upper bolt hole on the passenger side front is stripped out.

I have two options as I see it:

1. Weld the hole shut and then re tap the hole with an 8mm x 1.25 tap and bit

2. get a new knuckle and Ball Joints.

I was thinking of trying the first one, but was wondering how it would actually work. I was only going to weld one side of the hole about half way in so that I can get a good strait hole. I'm not worried about the tap and bit because we have them at work that I can use.

If I go with the second, What knuckle will work with the 03+ TJ's. Would the cherokee dana 30s bolt up? IF so that would be great since there are several at a local pull apart.

ThUmPeRcOn 05-05-2008 07:06 PM

Bump for a good guy in need of help! Wish I could help ya brotha:help: weld/tapping it should be an option but how long will it hold? I have seen your wheeling videos:D

JBWood05TJ 05-05-2008 07:07 PM

There is a third option...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mrblaines-knuckle-kit-547471/

Stu Olson 05-05-2008 07:13 PM

You beat me to it. :)

ThUmPeRcOn 05-05-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBWood05TJ (Post 5179672)

Shoot yeah I forgot about that post as well then :idea: and I still could not find the thread. :) mrblaine :)

ThUmPeRcOn 05-05-2008 07:21 PM

P.s. :wave:Stu! You are appreciated!

JeepRocks86 05-05-2008 07:30 PM

That's exactly what I need. Where might I be able to get one and how much?

I don't mind welding but that looks very good and aren't the knuckles cast?

JBWood05TJ 05-05-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 (Post 5179786)
That's exactly what I need. Where might I be able to get one and how much?

I don't mind welding but that looks very good and aren't the knuckles cast?

Look at Post ^ in the thread I linked. There is a link to another thread, which has a link to the site where you can buy the kit.

JeepRocks86 05-05-2008 08:21 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...ayphotohosting

JeepRocks86 05-05-2008 08:29 PM

Just ordered the full shank for 1/2 inch bit. JF to the rescue again... Saves me the time of welding, drilling and re tapping.

JeepRocks86 05-10-2008 10:55 AM

I drilled and tapped the passenger side. THe upper passenger side was the one that stripped.

The kit that i bought was very good. Very easy to drill and tap the cast knuckles. Now i'm just waiting for the lock tight to dry so that I can put it all back together.

mrblaine 05-10-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 (Post 5180087)
Just ordered the full shank for 1/2 inch bit. JF to the rescue again... Saves me the time of welding, drilling and re tapping.

Unfortunately you can't weld, tap and redrill. The high carbon content of the knuckle mixes with the weld and makes a substance just slightly softer than diamond.

I ruined a NEW WJ knuckle by welding up the tapered holes and trying to drill them to reverse the taper for higher steer.

I have ruined about 100 dollars worth of exotic drill bits trying to salvage a 90 dollar knuckle. :rofl:

mrblaine 05-10-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 (Post 5199464)
I drilled and tapped the passenger side. THe upper passenger side was the one that stripped.

The kit that i bought was very good. Very easy to drill and tap the cast knuckles. Now i'm just waiting for the lock tight to dry so that I can put it all back together.

The instructions should give you a way to put it back together if you need to drive it right away.

But, I had a heck of a time finding a threadlocker that would actually lock those inserts in place. They come with a dry lock patch on them and I had to return them to EZ-Lock to have it removed as it was about useless and failed to lock every single time.

I then tested several of the gel types in stick form and they weren't much better.

Then I went back to the old stand by and it works perfectly every time if your surfaces are clean. Thus the caution not to use cutting oils. ;)

JeepRocks86 05-10-2008 02:22 PM

I looked around at mcmaster as well as grainger and I couldn't beat the price that I bought the product for.

I am very happy with the kit. Very good directions. This is a must for anyone who has stripped a bolt.

It's about 75 outside and I have no hurry to move the jeep right now. I will probably do the driver side this afternoon and put it all back together tomorrow.

mrblaine 05-10-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 (Post 5199984)
I looked around at mcmaster as well as grainger and I couldn't beat the price that I bought the product for.

That was the intent, but I was surprised at how much had to be bought to get decent prices on stuff. I had to buy in very large quantities to get enough of a discount to put the kit together below retail of the individual parts. As in 200 drill bits at a time, 1000 inserts, 500 ampules of loctite and a 1000 bolts.

Quote:

I am very happy with the kit. Very good directions. This is a must for anyone who has stripped a bolt.
I'm happy the instructions work. I spent a fair bit of time on them trying to get stuff clear.

Quote:

It's about 75 outside and I have no hurry to move the jeep right now. I will probably do the driver side this afternoon and put it all back together tomorrow.
Fair enough.

The time now is 05:26 AM.