strange method of replacing fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > strange method of replacing fuel pump

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
The_Aaron
1998 TJ Wrangler 

strange method of replacing fuel pump

So, my fuel pump went on my 4-banger earlier this week, and I've been having alot of trouble getting the tank down. I have a good 7-8 gallons in there, all the bolts are rusted on (even though i gave them a good spraydown with PB blaster), my neighbor's floor jack broke, and i'm running out of ideas here.
My friend told me that everytime he's replaced a fuel pump in a car, he cuts a hole in the floor above the tank, pulls the pump out, puts a new one in, and bolts a slightly larger piece of metal over it. That way if anything goes again, it's all accessable. The idea to me sounds pretty out there, but he's very well respected as a mechanic locally. Does this seem like something worth trying?
The reason i'm really considering this is because i was hospitalized yesterday with 7 kidney stones and a kidney infection (and i'm only 19) , and i have to take it easy with exerting myself for a few weeks, but i still need my jeep to get to work.

I have a low post count because I spend more time wrenching than I do talking about it.
The_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

On the surface, I really like the sound of this idea. I just did my fuel pump about four weeks ago and I never thought of doing it this way. First questions that come to mind are what would you use to cut it? How would you ensure the location is directly above the fuel pump? The floor isn't flat, so it might take some skilled sheetmetal work to bolt something back in place.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
The_Aaron
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i know the fuel pump is in the center of the tank, so i think measuring the width and length of the tank and centering that in the tub should put me exactly where i need to be. my friend said he did his with a grinder, because that was the best way not to punture the tank. the sheetmetal part i'm a bit sketchy about, but i'm not entirely concerned about the look as long as it's sealed, because it will be under the backseat.
I have a low post count because I spend more time wrenching than I do talking about it.
The_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
jurob
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i've seen some imports that have access to the fuelpump that way from the factory. if your too lazy to drop the tank or don't feel comfortable i don't see any reason not to do it that way.
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
jurob
1997 TJ Wrangler 

reread your post, i say go for it.
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

As long as you keep it covered with the seat and the carpet no one would ever know. Sounds easy!!
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

For the record, use a die grinder. You know, the high speed air cut off wheel. That use like the 3''disks that spin at like 10k
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IMO Id do it right and put new tank straps and bolts in. Cutting and hacking on your tub, It already has alot of holes on the floor. I understand sometimes you run into a time you have to do that, But not for a jeep. I have herd of this before and always thought of shade tree hacks cutting up your car and pop rivet down some sheet metal and call it good. Moisture gets in, Starts rust, etc and if you have a nice car, Even worse. To each his own, Good luck
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've worked on cars that have had the trap door in the trunk, don't know why everyone doesn't make this standardized. It sounds like a good idea...I've heard of some people doing this on their pick up trucks.
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Word of caution: Be careful cutting above the gas tank. Make sure you know what is under your cut. Sparks from a cut-off tool or grinder and gasoline don't mix. Sounds like you've had your fill of hospitals lately.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

it's not quite a strange method,i'v seen it done a bunch.one thing has been in common every time,you wind up with a P.O.S.job every time.but it works.
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
FMJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did that trick on a 92GMC pickup one time. Never did get the sheet metal to fit right. But i only had to drive it for about 6 months until the plates ran out.
FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

on a G.M.pickup you spend more time cutting the hole in the bed than you do doing the job the rite way.the rite way on a G.M.pickup is to remove 4 bed bolts unplug light harness and slide the bed back,twenty min.tops,and no hole,no patch to make.
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Even with 7-8 gallons of gas in the tank, it's not a big enough deal in my opinion to warrant cutting a hole the floor above the tank simply to avoid dropping the fuel tank.

Ask mrblaine if that much fuel in a gas tank is enough to make dropping the gas tank a big deal. I forgot I was heading over to his house the next day to install my gas tank skid which required the gas tank be dropped & filled the tank up. We dropped it without issue after I got the infamous "Blaine Glare" when I mentioned to him that I had accidentally filled the tank the previous day.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
MM1Jeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I dropped the tank in my expedition with over half a tank of gas left in it. Thats over 13 or 14 gallons. Wasn't fun, but after it was down pumped it out and it made reinstallation so much easier. I wouldn't cut the hole in the floor and I don't have any qualms cutting up my jeep for things, just not unnecessarily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.