Strange Fan-like noise while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange Fan-like noise while driving

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
jaspercomp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Strange Fan-like noise while driving

Hello All,

I have a 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 4.0. I have this really strange noise that only happens when I'm driving down the road. It sounds almost like a fan hitting something or something is being hit - not a heavy knocking sound or anything like that. The noise only happens when I'm driving, not at idle, or when I race the engine, engage/disengage the clutch, it's not the heater/ac fan - what else is rotating only while moving?? oh and it's not the brakes, tried to find a correlation between that too, but no luck. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions! ps: it could also be described as a fast "clicking sound" but again, it stops when the jeep stops.

jaspercomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What rotates only when the Jeep is moving? The driveshafts and axles. You can try driving the Jeep with only the front or rear driveshaft installed to narrow down where the ticking is coming from.
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^2x or crawl under and look for slop in the u joints by rocking the shafts or axels back and forth. There should be no slop at the u joint.
Unread 02-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

One of your U joints is bad in the front drive shaft. I had the same issue. It could be something else but I'd start there.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.