Strange Brake Problems & Parking Brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange Brake Problems & Parking Brake issue

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Tmsnake1

Strange Brake Problems & Parking Brake issue

I've got an 04 Rubicon I bought new and have never had an issue with anything. Let me also just throw out there that I have done a bunch of brake jobs on many vehicles and I've never had any issues in the past...

My rear rotors and pads were pretty much destroyed so I decided to do pads and rotors all the way around (Obviously Rubicon has rear disc)

The non related issues I was\am having is with my parking brake. I had this problem before the new pads and rotors and still have it. I have to pull the lever as far up as it goes and it still doesn't work very well. But Ironically when parked on a small incline and I remove the parking brake the vehicle hangs and does not roll back unless I jiggle the parking brake lever. After checking the cable and not finding any issue (At least that I can see) I figured I would see if I could find any issues while replacing the rear brakes.. So here's what I know after doing the rear brakes.

After removing the rear rotors I found that on the driver side, the parking brake drum seems like it's dragging on the inside of the old rotor. With the rotors off and pulling up on the parking brake the passenger side brake shoes expand and look normal to me. The drivers side brake shoes for the parking brake barely move. In fact I believe they are dragging because it was extremely difficult to remove the rear drivers side rotors as they were pushed against the inside of it. Putting the new rotor back on was not any easier. Also the Drivers rear rotors gets extremely hot!! So I think it's safe to say that it's not the caliper and indeed related to the parking brake.. I don't know where to even begin to fix this. I've never worked on any drum brakes let alone the built in parking brake kind.. Any suggestions?

That's problem #1

The other issue may not even be an issue. I know that some new pads and rotors make noise. That hissing metallic sound.. It's due to the nature of what they are made of.. Well after replacing all 4 rotors and pads I now have this sound issue. Except it's pretty damn loud. Louder than any other vehicle I've done or heard. I threw on some Duralast gold pads and rotors.. I've used them on other vehicles without an issue. I did not use any silicone. The car brakes fine, smells fine and the sound is coming from all 4 wheels.. None of the rotors are abnormally hot with the exception of the rear drivers one with the parking break issue.. So i'm just looking for any thoughts regarding the noise..

Any thought and suggestions would be great.. Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Tmsnake1; 08-13-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Tmsnake1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, lots of brake threads!

Your post is a little confusing, you mention you think the driver side p/b is sticking, but the passenger rotor gets really hot?

I'm not familiar with the TJ parking brake, but most vehicles have adjustments on the cable and cable tension. Maybe you just need to adjust the brake cable.
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Mick VT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your drivers side parking brake cable is sticking / siezed
Mick VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Tmsnake1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasin View Post
Wow, lots of brake threads!

Your post is a little confusing, you mention you think the driver side p/b is sticking, but the passenger rotor gets really hot?

I'm not familiar with the TJ parking brake, but most vehicles have adjustments on the cable and cable tension. Maybe you just need to adjust the brake cable.
My bad, I meant driver's side. Edited the post

Anywhoo, if it's just a siezed cable can I adjust that from under the car or do I have to make some adjustments to the Drum assembly?
Tmsnake1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
irishgearhead
2007 JK Wrangler 

give me your email and i will send you the dealer write up on the parking brake system.
Unread 11-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
ArtCloud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just out of curiousity, I'm wondering what the fix to your issue was. I'm driving a 2004 TJ Rubicon I'm having the same problem driver and passenger side e-brake are sticking. New rotors and e-brake shoes, it actually seems as though the pivoting lever between the cable and shoes is the issue as it is extremely stiff. Can anyone shine some light on this??
ArtCloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I realize this is an old thread, but here's where my search led me. having a similar issue on both sides of the rear e-brake (2005 rubicon tj) and have determined the problem is in fact the pivoting lever, both are rusty and seized, not moving at all, and probably never will again. I was eventually able to remove them both though. Does anyone know where I can get this part? I'm not even sure what it's called but couldn't find it at any of my usual parts sites. How about a good place to order oem parts online? Thanks!!!
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
ArtCloud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSCRunner View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but here's where my search led me. having a similar issue on both sides of the rear e-brake (2005 rubicon tj) and have determined the problem is in fact the pivoting lever, both are rusty and seized, not moving at all, and probably never will again. I was eventually able to remove them both though. Does anyone know where I can get this part? I'm not even sure what it's called but couldn't find it at any of my usual parts sites. How about a good place to order oem parts online? Thanks!!!
Same problem as mine was, looked like the pivot lever was good as garbage. Here was my fix:

Tools:

PB Blaster
Pliers
Lug Nut Wrench
Dead-blow hammer (poly preferred)
Channel Locks
Wire Brush
Flat-head Screwdriver

What to do:

Remove Wheels (lug wrench)
Remove Rotors (dead-blow hammer maybe required)
Remove shoe springs and shoes, might want to take a note or picture of springs / adjuster so you can easily put everything back together
Remove pivot lever brake assembly
Spray pivot levers with PB Blaster (or other preferred loosening agent) and soak overnight if necessary
Work the pivot lever with channel locks until you can separate them (might require two sets of channel locks)
Clean the pivot lever assembly with wire brush until you can work the mechanism by hand
Put back together (needle-nose pliers for shoe springs) the way it was before you took it apart make any adjustments to speader (flat-head screwdriver) that may be necessary (replace shoes or rotors if they are shot)
Test E-Brake now (should work)

This fix has been working for me for the past year without any problems.

Last edited by ArtCloud; 03-01-2011 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: sp.
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was able to find a great parts diagram here: http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php however, the part numbers I need don't show up on any of the oem sites when searched (this includes the site that the parts fiche is from). Google search also returned no vendor sites, just parts fiches. I will try calling dealers tomorrow but you would think these parts would be available online. Just in case anyone has a better site than me, the part numbers I need are:

diagram # 3
Part # 05093392AA
Qty 2
description LEVER, Park Brake Adjusting

diagram #4
part # 05093334AA
Qty 1
description LEVER, Park Brake, Right

Part # 05093338AA
Qty 1
description LEVER, Park Brake, Left

diagram #12
part # 05093395AA
Qty 2
description BOOT, Parking Brake Lever
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtCloud View Post
Same problem as mine was, looked like the pivot lever was good as garbage. Here was my fix:

Tools:

PB Blaster
Pliers
Lug Nut Wrench
Dead-blow hammer (poly preferred)
Channel Locks
Wire Brush
Flat-head Screwdriver

What to do:

Remove Wheels (lug wrench)
Remove Rotors (dead-blow hammer maybe required)
Remove shoe springs and shoes, might want to take a note or picture of springs / adjuster so you can easily put everything back together
Remove pivot lever brake assembly
Spray pivot levers with PB Blaster (or other preferred loosening agent) and soak overnight if necessary
Work the pivot lever with channel locks until you can separate them (might require two sets of channel locks)
Clean the pivot lever assembly with wire brush until you can work the mechanism by hand
Put back together (needle-nose pliers for shoe springs) the way it was before you took it apart make any adjustments to speader (flat-head screwdriver) that may be necessary (replace shoes or rotors if they are shot)
Test E-Brake now (should work)

This fix has been working for me for the past year without any problems.
Thanks for the post, I was able to get them to move a little with a lot of PB blaster, and a TON of pressure, but it seemed like getting them to move freely with the parking brake cable was going to be more trouble than it was worth, lots of heavy rust and pitting. I figured it would be a worthwhile part to replace...if I can find it. If not I will hit it with the wire wheel tomorrow and see how it goes. So far I can't find anyone selling the part numbers I need, but they do sell the entire assembly, but that costs ~$80 a side.
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
ArtCloud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSCRunner View Post
Thanks for the post, I was able to get them to move a little with a lot of PB blaster, and a TON of pressure, but it seemed like getting them to move freely with the parking brake cable was going to be more trouble than it was worth, lots of heavy rust and pitting. I figured it would be a worthwhile part to replace...if I can find it. If not I will hit it with the wire wheel tomorrow and see how it goes. So far I can't find anyone selling the part numbers I need, but they do sell the entire assembly, but that costs ~$80 a side.
Yeah, I was in the same boat. Getting them to move was rough, but once separated (they eventually will come apart) both driver and passenger were clean in about 20 minute and ready to put back together. (And I don't even own a wheel, I used the old fashion wire brush and elbow grease) Like I said in my previous post, I got the pieces clean enough that you could put the two pieces together and pivot them easily by hand. Don't worry about it falling apart, because once you put the lever back into the brake assembly there isn't enough clearance for the pieces to separate.
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtCloud View Post
Yeah, I was in the same boat. Getting them to move was rough, but once separated (they eventually will come apart) both driver and passenger were clean in about 20 minute and ready to put back together. (And I don't even own a wheel, I used the old fashion wire brush and elbow grease) Like I said in my previous post, I got the pieces clean enough that you could put the two pieces together and pivot them easily by hand. Don't worry about it falling apart, because once you put the lever back into the brake assembly there isn't enough clearance for the pieces to separate.
Great, thanks for all the insight. I will get at it tomorrow...much appreciated!!
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for the pointers. I stuck it in a vice, used the grinder to get all the heavy rust off, then wacked it with a hammer until it freed up enough to separate. Then cleaned the rest of the rust and reassembled with a ton of anti-seize! Parking brake works again!!
Unread 03-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
rutacon05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

just spend a damn hour getting that freakin part out!! it was froze solid!! hardest part i had was getting it out from the backing plate and axle, just used vice grips, pb blaster and a small plumbers torch to get it loose, then used my dremel with a little wire wheel and little drum sander, now i gotta put all that crap back together, BE SURE TO PUT NEVER SEIZE ON IT!!
rutacon05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
Damiendrt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am also having some of these problems. Does anyone know where to find a video or diagram of taking the rear rotors off and replacing ebrake pads?
Damiendrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.