Strange 2000 TJ brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange 2000 TJ brake issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Strange 2000 TJ brake issue

So about 1 1/2 years ago my right caliper locked up and caught on fire. Put the fire out let it cool down and got that caliper replaced at the dealership. Now, im not sure if im on my way to that again. Just two days ago I took my tires off to clean my brakes with brake cleaner since my brakes have been squeaking since they day they got put on and i was getting fed up with it. I noticed when i jacked the passenger side up that the tire was harder to move freely than the one on the drivers side. For the past few days on and off there is a burning smell that comes from the brakes on both sides but stronger on the right but its not all the time! Ive been looking around at all the different threads and i'm wondering if there is really a problem with my brakes? it doesnt pull to any side at all and it hasnt locked up which makes me wonder. Im still semi new to the whole jeeping thing and if im being and idiot feel free to let me know haha thanks

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 95,000 miles, Jensen VM9214, Sony Xplode 12", Kenwood 350w amp, KC Hilites 130w Long Range lights, Warn VR8000 Winch.. Build List: 3" BDS Suspension Lift with Fox 2.0 shocks, Pro Comp Rock Crawler 152 Rims, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's, LOD Rear Bumper, Metalcloaks front and rear, tom wood's SYE and CV driveshaft
packersxxxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think you already know the answer. You've already had a fire due to a siezed caliper piston. Do you want another one?
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Having the same problem with two different calipers suggests to me that the real problem lies elsewhere. There may be something partially clogging the line that prevents the fluid pressure from returning. I would probably start with a hand-over-hand inspection of your lines (looking primarily for crushed spots in the hard lines), followed by a flush of the lines.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
TJ-Mike-00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the brake hoses that connect to the caliper and hard line. They tend to collapse occasionally after getting hot. I had the same problem last month.
TJ-Mike-00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was under the impression it was the brake line as well but would it really work for over a year before going bad again if it were that? Also the side with the problem has always gotten covered with much more brake dust than the other side
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 95,000 miles, Jensen VM9214, Sony Xplode 12", Kenwood 350w amp, KC Hilites 130w Long Range lights, Warn VR8000 Winch.. Build List: 3" BDS Suspension Lift with Fox 2.0 shocks, Pro Comp Rock Crawler 152 Rims, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's, LOD Rear Bumper, Metalcloaks front and rear, tom wood's SYE and CV driveshaft
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Mike-00 View Post
Replace the brake hoses that connect to the caliper and hard line.
Why replace the hard line?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
TJ-Mike-00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The hard line is probably fine and doesn't need replaced, the brake hoses aren't that expensive and is more likely than not the source of the problem.
TJ-Mike-00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check for any deep grooves in your steering knuckles where the pad backing plates ride. Sometimes if the grooves are deep enough, they can cause your calipers to seize and not release properly.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

haven't had time to start fixing this so the jeep has just been sitting but i think i know what to do. Im looking to replace the soft brake line and caliper on the passenger side, change my brake pads, and get my rotors machined. Im hoping this will solve the issue. Is there anything i should know or and advice anyone can give me before i start? the only thing im confused about is how to keep brake fluid from leaking everywhere while changing the line but i think i read somewhere you just buy a plug for it? new to brake work haha thanks for any input

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.