Stop Rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stop Rust

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
HANKiE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stop Rust

I really hate rust. This weekend I'm going to spend sometime and sand off all the rust spots on my frame and undercoat the entire underbody. I know undercoating is suppose to stop rust, but I want double protection. I know there are all types of "Rust Inhibitors" out there that you apply to metal to stop the rust.

My question is, does anybody have any suggestions which rust inhibitors work great and which ones to stay away from? I honestly don't want to have to go through this process again next summer (winter driving kills my frame) so I'd like to get some good stuff that'll last for atleast 5 years.

Thanks!

Unread 04-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

There is pretty much one answer in the rust department. POR-15. Google it - its pricey - and you have to be specific when you put it on - be sure its a fairly warm, dry day, no water anywhere near the can, frame, etc. You will have to degrease everything you want to coat.

If a drip of sweat goes into the can - the can is ruined... thats how delicate that stuff is before it dries. But, once its adhered and dry - its awesome.

And - once you get that stuff on there..... no more rust.....
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
MikNov
1998 TJ Wrangler 

POR15 worked great for me.

I hated rust on my jeep. So I just take it off the road during the winter.
MikNov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
HANKiE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow, sounds like some pretty serious stuff? Thanks guys, I'll look into it.

Have you ever heard of the electrical thing you put on a car that stops rust completely? I seen it on tv a year or more ago. Industrial trucks and tractors would put this thing on their salt mining equipments and it made a HUGE improvement. I think if you buy a new Jeep (or a rust free one) this thing would pay for its self quickly. Esp if you live where it snows in the winter and the city salts the living crap out of everything!
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Forget the por 15....go get a few cans of spray rust convertor from walmart. Clean off any loose rust then go to the spray and wash and wash the frame good. Spray the rust convertor EVERY place even inside the frame. Wait a few days and paint over it. You will be in happy land and never have rust again. POR 15 is hard to use and just covers the rust.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
HANKiE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I may do the cheaper stuff first. The frame is in pretty good shape, it only has a handful of surface rust spots. It shouldn't be hard to clear it all. I think the POR-15 would be the way to go if there were too must rust to remove. I'm glad you said wait a couple days because I would have just let the RI dry for an hour than spray over it with undercoating! I'm not very patient when it comes to paint and drying.
Unread 04-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
rmack
1999 XJ Cherokee 

use por. not only will it stop the rust, it is very durable as well. which makes it ideal for frames.
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried Rust bullet? I just redid my frame after scraping off the 3m rubberized stuff. Take a look:

www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753713
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
Forget the por 15....go get a few cans of spray rust convertor from walmart. Clean off any loose rust then go to the spray and wash and wash the frame good. Spray the rust convertor EVERY place even inside the frame. Wait a few days and paint over it. You will be in happy land and never have rust again. POR 15 is hard to use and just covers the rust.
I realize this is an older thread that was bumped up, but this^^^ is some of the worst advice regarding rust treatment.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BS!
I 've done a few myself ya know! The spary convertor works fantastic and once you use it the rust is gone forever. POR 15 is ok for covering up the rust but if its really bad it just makes a mess IMO.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
BS!
I 've done a few myself ya know! The spary convertor works fantastic and once you use it the rust is gone forever. POR 15 is ok for covering up the rust but if its really bad it just makes a mess IMO.
BS to your BS! Anyone who has worked with restorations knows that the 'convertors' don't do squat and within a year or two the rust has undermined the coating and is back in full swing. All it does is turn the oxide black superficially and adds an epoxy top coat which does nothing to stop the rust process at its root which is in the underlying good metal.
Restoration websites, How-to books, and even the DIY TV shows have discounted them as bunk. Take a can of the junk to your local classic car restoration center and ask them what they have to say about it.
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
dirtball28
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lol @ resurrecting a dead thread, started by a banned user and covered a million times already.

Black Wrangler X 05/13/02-06/11/12
Cherry JK Sport 06/11/12-Current
dirtball28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Emdot
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want to play in the dead thread!

Quote:
BS!
POR 15 is ok for covering up the rust but if its really bad it just makes a mess IMO.
POR15 does a lot more than "cover up" rust, please do not give bad advice on things you don't know mmmkay?
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go to your local paint store and ask them for a rust inhibitor. We sale one called Ospho. I have used it and it works great. Put it in to a trigger spray bottle and spray it on the rusted areas. Allow the recommended time, per instructions. Then paint or primer as you would bare steel.
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Go to your local paint store and ask them for a rust inhibitor. We sale one called Ospho. I have used it and it works great....for a short while... Put it in to a trigger spray bottle and spray it on the rusted areas. Allow the recommended time, per instructions. Then paint or primer as you would bare steel.
There, fixed it for 'ya.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.