Stolen PCM/ECM - What PN do I buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stolen PCM/ECM - What PN do I buy?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stolen PCM/ECM - What PN do I buy?

Jeepers,

New here so hope I did this right.

Scored an abandoned 00 Sport 4.0L A/T a few weeks ago - need to replace the computer, but have no idea which one was originally in it. Are the similar PN's the same or different for 2.5L/4.0L, MT/AT, Standard emission/Low emission, etc.

Also curious if it's just a plug and play (used from junk yard work?) or do I need to get it flashed to the VIN/mileage?

Prices range from $200 for a rebuild/flashed/warranty version to $50 or less on Ebay for some used versions.

Any advice appreciated.

MarineOrdO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Mousejockey

Id say go with the $50 one, if it fails you would probably have to pay at least that for the core on the rebuilt one.
But Id stick with the same yr, trans, engine on the used/rebuilt one
Mousejockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does the engine exhaust have the 2 mini cats on the "Y" pipe?...
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mousejockey - you're right. I called one of the ECM replacement companies and they are charging me an extra $49.99 if I don't have the core to send them.

Knucklehead - no mini cats on the Y pipe coming down from the exhaust manifold. It was registered in Utah last if that has anything to do with the Standard Emission/Low Emission issue. I'm guessing the mini cats are for states like CA and such.
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOrdO View Post
Mousejockey - you're right. I called one of the ECM replacement companies and they are charging me an extra $49.99 if I don't have the core to send them.

Knucklehead - no mini cats on the Y pipe coming down from the exhaust manifold. It was registered in Utah last if that has anything to do with the Standard Emission/Low Emission issue. I'm guessing the mini cats are for states like CA and such.
You don't have an ECM, you have a Powertrain Control Modual (PCM) and the one you buy will have to fit the non mini cat configuration for that specific year 2000 4.0L...
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Semantics - got it. Thanks.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
masterwacker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Semantics - got it. Thanks.
Actually not semantics. An ECU only controls the engine whereas a PCM controls engine and tranny. I thought the same thing until I was schooled on it too. Did you get a good deal on the TJ?
masterwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Seems to me that PCM, ECM and ECU are somewhat interchangeable acronyms when discussing the computer. There are companies out there that refer to the PCM (now that I know) as an ECM and ECU and if you only Google PCM you are not going to get all the information.

The 00 has got a 6" Skyjacker Long Arm Lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT's and the tub is Rhino lined. Solid body, no big dents, good paint, etc. Had to research who had the lien on the vehicle, but once I found it I contacted them and picked it up for $2K as the previous owner had defaulted and they were just glad to get something out of it and not have to deal with the recovery. Took a few phone calls and such, but it was worth it.

The cheap PCM's on Ebay seem to have disappeared so I guess I'll be going with a reman one with a warranty for the $200-$250 range.
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only junkyard PCM you can use would be one from the same model year TJ, engine, and transmission as yours. If you go onto eBay or maybe Amazone.com now too, you can find remanufactured PCM sellers that will program one to work on your Jeep based on nothing more than your VIN#.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks - I guess that answers it then. If its the same year, engine, trans. then its a plug and play without VIN programming. If not, then a reman with VIN programming is the answer.

Appreciate the assist gents.
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks - I guess that answers it then. If its the same year, engine, trans. then its a plug and play without VIN programming.
Some 2000 4.0L TJ's have the mini cats, some do not. The PCM has to match that setup also...
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I looked up that mini cat deal and saw the bulbed cats at the top of the Y pipe under the manifold. Mine definitely do not have those. A couple other entries mentioned that those Jeeps were Low Emission - CA types.

I found this PCM on Ebay - it says "Standard Emission (Federal)". I'm guessing that is the one without the mini cats. Is that a correct assumption?

00 JEEP WRANGLER ENGINE ECM: eBay Motors (item 110516122285 end time Aug-03-10 13:38:27 PDT)
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, I looked up that mini cat deal and saw the bulbed cats at the top of the Y pipe under the manifold. Mine definitely do not have those. A couple other entries mentioned that those Jeeps were Low Emission - CA types.

I found this PCM on Ebay - it says "Standard Emission (Federal)". I'm guessing that is the one without the mini cats. Is that a correct assumption?

00 JEEP WRANGLER ENGINE ECM: eBay Motors (item 110516122285 end time Aug-03-10 13:38:27 PDT)
You need to get the part numer from that PCM and match it with what DC sells...
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
MarineOrdO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got it - thanks. Hopefully this Ebay seller will give up the info. If not, I'll hit the dealership to make some friends.
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got it - thanks. Hopefully this Ebay seller will give up the info. If not, I'll hit the dealership to make some friends.
Your welcome and post back as to what you find...

Tags
computer , ecm , ecu , electrical , pcm , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.