Stock to Yukon to Stock to Yukon Axles Dana35 Breakage! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stock to Yukon to Stock to Yukon Axles Dana35 Breakage!

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stock to Yukon to Stock to Yukon Axles Dana35 Breakage!

As you all know that the Dana 35 stock axles are weak. I have replaced them 4 years ago with Yukon Heavy Duty Chrome Molly Axle Shafts that are 20% to 30% stronger than the stock axles shafts. I been wheeling pretty hard climbing all kinds of stuff including steep rock walls, rock gardens, rock steps and more. I ran my old 32x12.50 MTRs for 3 years and my 2 year old 33x13.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers without a problem. Recently, My Axles were worked on and noticed my axles bearing were bad so my Yukon axles were pulled off and found out that the bearing chewed up my drivers side axle shaft and there was tiny metal all inside my axles. I been running those axles for 4 years without any problems and are awesome. Since they were all chewed up from my old bearings. I had no other choice but to re-install my old stock axles I saved just incase the yukons breaks on the trails. It's nice to carry spare axles when you head out on the trails. I carry all 4 axles front & rear. Since I had to install my old axle shafts I knew those were gonna be my weak link when I go offroading. When I replaced my damaged drivers side yukon axle shafts I ordered a set of brand new ones again because, I am very pleased with them though-out the 4 years without breakage. Well, I had an offroading event that was coming and was concerned about my stock axles. All, went well for a about an hour then I climbed a wet slippery rock step thats very common to climb at the Badlands. I have done that rock step many times in 7 years without problems. But, this time I tried climbing it and
"POP" AHHHH... My stock drivers side axle snapped. It didn't bother me at all because I had my old yukons I saved. I had to bring those just incase my stock ones break. Those were just my bandaid so, I can get back home until my brand new yukons come in a few days. All went well replacing my snapped axle though, It took some time because, It was sorta hard to get the small chunks of metal inside the diff and axles shafts. We wheeled a tiny bit after we fixed it and got home safely. My new Yukon axles should be arriving today or a few days from now and I'm going to get rid of my other axles inside my dana 35.
Replacing your old dana 35 stock axles with a better and stronger axles is a nice inexpensive way to go. Keep your old ones just incase. Using them stock axles are not good. You will see from the pictures below. Soon I'll take a picture of my chewed up Yukon axle shaft.
By the way my set up on my Dana 30 & 35 has Detroit True Tracs with 4.56 and love them. Enjoy the pictures. We were working on a sandy ground when we were working on my axles so, There is sand on the spline.
*This was my very 1st breakdown since I been offroading for 7 years* WooHoo!

Last edited by IGotADisneyJeep; 10-29-2007 at 03:59 PM..
IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Judging by the sand in the splines I can see that you likely had fun changing that broken shaft.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Taken at the Badlands in Attica, Indiana

Here's that famous Rock Step that I have climbed many times without breaking my Yukon Axles

Stock Shafts

Unread 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's another RockWall Climb

Unread 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The weather was awesome that day but, by that rock step it was wet with some water on the bottom. It's easy to slip when climbing that rock step and break an axle. I seen many bust their axle when they climbed it. And yes, sand is somewhat ok to work on but, gets everywhere. Better then wet mud or when its raining. I'll take the sand anyday
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those Yukons were still 27 spline shafts correct?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So when you break a Disney Jeep does Mickey and Pluto come running out of the trees to help?

(Hakuna Matata playing in the background....)
"WE'RE HERE TO FIX THE DANA35!!!!!!!"

Unread 10-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes Jerry they are 27 spline

I know about upgrading to 30 spline with Detroit Lockers
But, I wanted Detroit True Tracs and they only come in 27 spline

I also know that its best to upgrade my whole axles to Dana44 or to a Ford 8.8 but, Intime I'll do that. But for now, I don't mind my set up its does very well with stronger axles
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Mean Fish,

Hey...Mickey and Pluto always help me out
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Chris @ GATR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yellow Jeeps on rock ledges. A breath of fresh air!
chris1.jpg   chris2.jpg  
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those last two pics get me excited. Looks like a fun place to wheel. The places we go to find rock ledges tend to have a lot steeper climbs and be near the top of mountains. Not so good if you screw up because you could have a 10 minute roll to the bottom.
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ©
Yellow Jeeps on rock ledges. A breath of fresh air!
Chris, what's the reasoning behind keeping a lot of winch line rolled up like that on your front bumper? I saw that in a picture you posted a long time ago and figured you did that after using it and would roll it up later but I'm seeing it again...
Unread 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
TheEddie

What a crappy way to start the day.. and end it.

Its too bad you and Zack didnt get to wheel more , at least theres next time though!

I'll be all over that orange trail as soon as my super-sliders come in.

Past Jeeps: 01 TJ, 97 TJ, 98 XJ, 2000 WJ
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a good read. It's interesting to hear what good luck you have had with the yukon shafts. I have also heard nothing but good things about the true tracks as well.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
BooBoo

How could you NOT replace that rear end with anything less that a 44,000
MACK rear end?!

P.S. i still run my 35 too..with spares
BooBoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.