Stock Jeep Wobbles at 50 MPH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stock Jeep Wobbles at 50 MPH

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
MartinTravels
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stock Jeep Wobbles at 50 MPH

I have a 2006 Wrangler X. It has about 23K miles on it. It is a 6 speed transmission with the 4.0 engine, and the Jeep is completely stock. At 50 MPH, the jeep vibrates. It vibrates with or without the top down. It vibrates uphill, downhill and on flat road (I think it is worse downhill). It really wobbles when the transmission is in gear (it is worse when power is to the tires). When coasting at 50 MPH, it seems the vibration almost completely vanishes.

It is only for a very brief window at exactly 50 MPH that this wobble happens, but it is enough for concern. Any body else had this issue? Any ideas on a fix? Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

MartinTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a wheel imbalance to me... Mine does the same thing, and that's what my problem is.
KEH1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Whats vibrating? The whole jeep or the steering wheel?
Have you done anything to the jeep prior to this symptom?
Ever go off road? Mud or rocks?
Your profile says totally stock. Maybe a wheel weight was knocked off. Look on the wheels edges for a clean spot. If you've been in the mud maybe its packed in your wheel throwing it off.
Vibrating under load but not while coasting might be a driveline problem.. Seems early for a U-joint to be going bad- unless you go off road. And on that note its unlikely you control arm bushings are going bad.

Last edited by Piratejonh; 07-30-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: can't spell
Piratejonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

From everything I have read, pretty much all wobbles related to certain speeds are a result of tire imbalance.

I've heard a couple different recommendations including balancing with airsoft BB's or Road Force balancing which is offered by some tire shops.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
MartinTravels
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have never taken it off road and have done nothing to it other than gas in the tank and removing the top and doors. I will check the wheels to see determine if a weight has fallen off... I just don't know.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
tim87114
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Martin, the important question from above, is does the steering wheel shake? Meaning do you feel the "vibration" in the steering wheel or do you mean you feel it in your foot or tub of the jeep?

Front end vibration on jeeps is common enough if you look at it as Death Wobble or DW as referred to here on the forum. It can happen to any jeep at any given mileage for different reasons.
I agree that tire balance is the first place to look. Beyond that, you would be standing in line with the rest of us guys running a stock jeep wondering what the heck is going on.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rotate and balance the tires.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Road Force balancing which is offered by some tire shops.
I would agree if he had 35's,but his little tires can be balanced right on any machine.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
MartinTravels
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify, I feel it in the steering wheel. The steering wheel shakes back and forth. But the real oddity is that it does not shake while coasting. I would assume it it was a wheel balance issue the wobble would occur in neutral at 50 MPH as well as when in gear at 50 MPH.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
spillz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Martin...Martin here

Martin.....

I had the exact same issues with my stock 2006 LJ with 29k miles on it. I took my LJ to a local tire shop had the tires balance and rotates. Problem solved.......wheel was out of balance....
spillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So if you put the clutch in or throw it in neutral while at 50 mph the wobble vanishes? Is the wobble in the steering wheel or do you feel it in the seat?

Sorry, took too long to post. Questions answered. Sounds like tire balance to me. I have the same shimmy at 50 and I've went to 3 different shops and had all four balanced 3 times till the 3rd shop got it close. Still shimmys a little but is better.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
MartinTravels
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I took the rig to the local Les Schwab here in Monroe, WA (BTW, I have received EXCELLENT customer service every time I go there). They quickly identified the problem as a missing weight on the right front tire. They balanced the tire, aired it up and checked the balance and air on the remaining three.

Twenty six dollars later the problem is solved! Thanks to all who posted on this thread... you were all right!
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Right on. Glad that helped.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
imhere631
1998 TJ Wrangler 

some times the balancing weights on the drive shaft can get thrown. Look to see if you have a spot that might indicate that the driveshaft is out of balance.
imhere631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:49 AM   #15
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTravels
At 50 MPH, the jeep vibrates. It vibrates with or without the top down.

Tags
dw , death wobble , stock , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.