Still in need of help, going crazy!? Dies while driving, starts right back up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Still in need of help, going crazy!? Dies while driving, starts right back up

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Still in need of help, going crazy!? Dies while driving, starts right back up

My jeep is a 2005, 4.0, 6 speed. I've owned it for about two months now and have been dealing with issues nonstop for 4 weeks now.

It randomly dies while driving, but starts right back up. There is a stutter that happens, either at idle, or while driving down the road. I'm getting some stuttering while excelerating sometimes now. At first there were no codes at all. I replaced the crank position sensor, and can position sensor. Checked all grounds. I cleaned the IAC and actually have a new one on order. Now, sometimes my gauges quit while driving, but the jeep stays running? I'm getting codes now, u0155, p0508, 0300...I have autotap scan software so I can watch things and read codes. But for some reason my software won't run the diagnostic tests.

My freeze frame shows that the 0300 was caused my random, multiple cylinder misfire.

I pulled the gauges and cleaned wire connections.

Is there any common theme here that's causing all this??? Or do I have multiple problems? I'm at a loss, and trying to get it figured out is driving me crazy!?!

HELP!
Mike

OpzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure, but this TSB has been getting a lot of press lately and may be related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

Have you seen this TSB?

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-027-02,
DATED SEPTEMBER 06, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM
YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS
HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Engine Idle After Restart Following A Hot Soak

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

MODELS:
2000-2004 (TJ) Wrangler (Domestic and International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
2001-2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)
2000-2001 (XJ) Jeep Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code = ERH)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF)or higher.
This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content.

Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.
This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3.

The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description

1 56028371AA Ignition Wire Shield

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves
about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length.
2. Install one sleeve around injector #3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the
injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.
3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.
4. Check injector #3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o’clock position (from driver’s side of vehicle).

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE: 0.2hrs

FAILURE CODE:
AM Authorized Modification

[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
loganm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

At first it sounded like a fuel line or pump issue. But as I read on not so much unless you have multiple issues acting as one lol. Good luck.
loganm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried a new battery? I started experiencing all source of problems until I changed the battery and put them all to rest...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have not Changed the battery, could that still be a cause? Jeep starts fine? It's almost undriveable as of yesterday. I can't take it 10 miles without it dying 10 times, and now I have to let it sit awhile before it will restart without immediately dying again. At one point I got a flashing CEL also, so whatever is up is getting worse. I may have to just take it to the jeep dealer, but I sure hate to....
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did you use OEM sensors?
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, no I didnt use OEM ones, just what Oreillys had local
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong, go with the Check Engine Light trouble codes. Solve the lowest number code first, higher number codes may, or may not be from faulty data provided by the faulty sensor/system of the lowest numbered code.

Bucking, stalling, and backfiring are almost always O2 sensor related. Many O2 sensor faults will not cause a check engine light or trigger a code. P0300 can be ignored.

P0155 JEEP - O2 Sensor 2/1 Heater Performance
Possible causes
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 2 Sensor 1 circuit fuse
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 2 Sensor 1 circuit wire harness is open circuit or short circuit
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 2 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 2 Sensor 1 circuit

P0508 JEEP - Idle Air Control Valve Sense Circuit Low
Possible causes
- Idle Air Control (IAC) motor wire harness is open circuit or short circuit
- Idle Air Control (IAC) motor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Idle Air Control (IAC) motor

When is the code detected? The PCM senses a short to ground or battery voltage on any of the control circuits for 2.75 seconds while the IAC motor is active.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well the code is a U0155, which is lost communication with the dash I think? It started the dying thing a few weeks before the dash gauges would just all go dead, not the DIC, just the gauges. When it does this, jeep is still running, the gauges just aren't working. I pulled and inspected the wiring to the gauges, but no luck. I have no idea if the two problems are related? When it dies while driving i barely notice any bucking or anything, I just all the sudden realize the thing has died. If im paying super close attention, i can see that it is running rough right before it dies. When it first started doing it, I could push in the clutch, cycle the key and it would fire right back up, then I could keep driving. Last day I drove it, I would get a flashing CEL, it would die, then would not restart until it sat awhile. It would start, but immediately die. After setting a few minutes, it would start again, but I could only go a few miles before the whole process started again...
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'll know soon whether it's the right fix or not, but the jeep dealer diagnosed it as a faulty PCM. They want 1000.00 installed for it, but I passed. I have one on order, for 140.00 and I'll install myself....
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
drumkite2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpzJeep View Post
Well, I'll know soon whether it's the right fix or not, but the jeep dealer diagnosed it as a faulty PCM. They want 1000.00 installed for it, but I passed. I have one on order, for 140.00 and I'll install myself....
Where did you get it from?
drumkite2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
ujoint
2004 WJ 

How did you Make out Did the PCM fix the Problem?
ujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got it from Jax autoparts. It's garanteed good, and worth a shot if it saves me 900. Haven't got the PCM yet, should have it by the end if the week, so we'll see!
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
OpzJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Figured I would give an update! Well the jeep dealer told me it was the PCM and they wanted 1000.00 for parts and labor to fix. I paid them 89.00 for the diagnostics and found an PCM for 140.00 shipped to my door. Well yesterday it arrived and I changed it out.

Update is, that so far 120 miles and everything is running perfect!!

Now to tackle the damn distributor on this thing that I've been reading about....damn I wish I would have researched the 05/06's before I bought...ashame too, because this really is a nice clean jeep!!

Hindsight...
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpzJeep View Post
I have not Changed the battery, could that still be a cause? Jeep starts fine?
No, not if the battery is able to start the engine without problem.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
backfiring , bucking , o2 sensor , p0155 , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.