still chasing a clunk.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > still chasing a clunk....

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
tman204
1998 TJ Wrangler 

still chasing a clunk....

Hi all,

1998 TJ, rear Dana 35, manual trans. I'm chasing a clunk when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I don't get this clunk when shifting from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. I have a couple question in my quest:

1. Jeep has 100k miles on it, but I changed out my gears at around 60k miles, and haven't had any issues until now at 99,960 miles. When I swapped my gears, I also added an ARB air locker to the rear. Do I still, or should I, use any sort of friction modifier when changing my rear diff fluid? I've flushed the diff twice now in 40k miles since the gear swap/ARB add, and haven't had this clunk until recently...

2. Just got done replacing both rear u-joints in the rear drive shaft. This is the first time this was done. This seemed to help some, but the clunk is still there. I did notice, what to me, seemed like fairly excessive play in the rear diff when the shaft was disconnected. What is considered normal? Could this "slap" be the clunk I'm hearing?

The diff does not whine, it doesn't grind, doesn't seem to do anything unusual other this this single "clunk" when shifting between 1st and 2nd *under load*. Could I be hearing something other than the rear end? Maybe the t-case or some weird clutch issues? Maybe the rear control arm bushings?

Thanks for any help in chasing this down, I'd rather find the problem and fix it before metal parts start falling off the jeep!

tman204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

tranny mount...

22$ @ 4wd.com

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/knocking-sound-when-engaging-clutch-501573/

http://www.adirondackjeeps.com/forum...pic.php?t=6462

http://www.adirondackjeeps.com/forum...pic.php?t=6147
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
tman204
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okie dokie - tranny mount - you're now on "the list!"

(hmmmm, now about those 2 stripped skid plate bolts.... LOL)

Thanks!
tman204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman204
Okie dokie - tranny mount - you're now on "the list!"

(hmmmm, now about those 2 stripped skid plate bolts.... LOL)

Thanks!

I just drilled three- 1" holes right in the side of each frame rail right where the t-case bolts are... Then used a sawsall to cut all 3 bolts... hammered the nut certs up out then just used nuts and bolts to hold the t-case skid on. I just used a pry bar to hold the nuts on the inside... I was also able to clean alot of sand and dust/rust out of the frame with a hose with extra holes in the lower portion of the frame... Prolly spent an hour with a hose in one end and pulling out rust flakes on the other end with my finger....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.