Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

still chasing a clunk....

784 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dirkdiggler106 
#1 ·
Hi all,

1998 TJ, rear Dana 35, manual trans. I'm chasing a clunk when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. I don't get this clunk when shifting from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. I have a couple question in my quest:

1. Jeep has 100k miles on it, but I changed out my gears at around 60k miles, and haven't had any issues until now at 99,960 miles. When I swapped my gears, I also added an ARB air locker to the rear. Do I still, or should I, use any sort of friction modifier when changing my rear diff fluid? I've flushed the diff twice now in 40k miles since the gear swap/ARB add, and haven't had this clunk until recently...

2. Just got done replacing both rear u-joints in the rear drive shaft. This is the first time this was done. This seemed to help some, but the clunk is still there. I did notice, what to me, seemed like fairly excessive play in the rear diff when the shaft was disconnected. What is considered normal? Could this "slap" be the clunk I'm hearing?

The diff does not whine, it doesn't grind, doesn't seem to do anything unusual other this this single "clunk" when shifting between 1st and 2nd *under load*. Could I be hearing something other than the rear end? Maybe the t-case or some weird clutch issues? Maybe the rear control arm bushings?

Thanks for any help in chasing this down, I'd rather find the problem and fix it before metal parts start falling off the jeep!

See less See more
#4 ·
tman204 said:
Okie dokie - tranny mount - you're now on "the list!"

(hmmmm, now about those 2 stripped skid plate bolts.... LOL)

Thanks!
I just drilled three- 1" holes right in the side of each frame rail right where the t-case bolts are... Then used a sawsall to cut all 3 bolts... hammered the nut certs up out then just used nuts and bolts to hold the t-case skid on. I just used a pry bar to hold the nuts on the inside... I was also able to clean alot of sand and dust/rust out of the frame with a hose with extra holes in the lower portion of the frame... Prolly spent an hour with a hose in one end and pulling out rust flakes on the other end with my finger.... :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.