Sticky locks, another solution - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Hemogoblin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sticky locks, another solution

I've read in several places that people had the same problem I did with my TJ's half doors. Where the lock, both the key and the inside button, simply refuse to work and remain in the locked position.

I have seen a lot of options that include bending the rod and other modifications. So I'm posting mine for posterity.

My solution was a bit different.

What the problem was is not the lock, but the middle window pin.

My door was working fine on my rescued TJ. We went driving around with the half doors and suddenly my wife couldn't get the passenger door to unlock. When we got home I coaxed the door open and went doorless the rest of the summer.

I sat down last weekend to figure out what the problem was. It turned out that when my wife was sitting in the passenger seat, she noticed the middle pin was loose, so she popped it back in completely. Normally a good thing.

If you pull the interior panel off the door and look at where the pin goes you will see a little "L" bracket that the pin sits in. What you should not see in that area is the rod for the lock passing through that area. It should be behind.

What happens if you aren't careful is that the rod will go inside the area the pin goes. And here's the kicker, it is EASIER to run the rod through that area, than to go around it. Which is probably why so many people seem to have this issue. That path of least resistance is the wrong path.

So when the little pin carrier is shoved down in the door, it pushes the rod down and makes the lock malfunction.

The fix is easy, remove the rod completely, thread it back through outside the pin area and connect to the inside handle. Then do the lock side. Doing it in that order you will have a much easier time getting it to cooperate. The lock side has a lot more room to work.

This is why bending the rod works, you are making it longer so that the pin can push down on it and still leave enough slack to function.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM
geroux
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemogoblin View Post
I've read in several places that people had the same problem I did with my TJ's half doors. Where the lock, both the key and the inside button, simply refuse to work and remain in the locked position.

I have seen a lot of options that include bending the rod and other modifications. So I'm posting mine for posterity.

My solution was a bit different.

What the problem was is not the lock, but the middle window pin.

My door was working fine on my rescued TJ. We went driving around with the half doors and suddenly my wife couldn't get the passenger door to unlock. When we got home I coaxed the door open and went doorless the rest of the summer.

I sat down last weekend to figure out what the problem was. It turned out that when my wife was sitting in the passenger seat, she noticed the middle pin was loose, so she popped it back in completely. Normally a good thing.

If you pull the interior panel off the door and look at where the pin goes you will see a little "L" bracket that the pin sits in. What you should not see in that area is the rod for the lock passing through that area. It should be behind.

What happens if you aren't careful is that the rod will go inside the area the pin goes. And here's the kicker, it is EASIER to run the rod through that area, than to go around it. Which is probably why so many people seem to have this issue. That path of least resistance is the wrong path.

So when the little pin carrier is shoved down in the door, it pushes the rod down and makes the lock malfunction.

The fix is easy, remove the rod completely, thread it back through outside the pin area and connect to the inside handle. Then do the lock side. Doing it in that order you will have a much easier time getting it to cooperate. The lock side has a lot more room to work.

This is why bending the rod works, you are making it longer so that the pin can push down on it and still leave enough slack to function.
Nice write-up, however...

If you have half doors there really isn't any reason to lock them. I've never locked mine. If someone wants in I'd rather have them just open the door than cut the window.

Tags
door , lock , rod , stick , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.