Steering wheel 'wobble' at 45-50 MPH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering wheel 'wobble' at 45-50 MPH

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
MikeWL

Steering wheel 'wobble' at 45-50 MPH

I noticed recently that between 45 and 50 MPH I get a shimmy/shake/wobble in the wheel. Going absolutely straight, it's not there, but just put a bit of twist on the steering wheel in either direction and it shakes back an forth.

Any ideas? I don't think this is what others have referred to as "Death Wobble", but I'm not sure. I am taking it in for tire balancing and alignment this weekend, but thought I would ask first so I know what the real experts think.

Unread 07-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Rommel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The tire balancing/alignment should fix all your problems unless you have damaged wheels.

-Romm
Unread 07-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

An alignment won't help, it's either a bad tire, an out of balance tire, or the wheel is bent or damaged.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
MikeWL

I hope you're right. I've never had a tire so out that it caused the steering wheel to have a rotational vibration, but it sounds reasonable. The weird thing is that I don't feel it anywhere else (dash, seat of the pants, floorboard, shifter, etc.) I'll report back after the balancing.

thx again.
Unread 07-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
zachman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on my TJ, I changed the track bar, and got a adjustable one from teraflex, that solved the problem, I have a 2" lift on my jeep.
zachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
TheDuke05

I had the same problem after my lift. I changed out the front driverside tire with the spare and...problem solved. Also check that the trackbar is tight (75 ft-lbs, I think).

Sold my Jeep earlier this year. Kinda miss it but I love my Infiniti.
TheDuke05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
powerstroke01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ive got the same problem. Im just gonna rotate my tires and see what it does.

Last edited by powerstroke01; 07-14-2005 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Forgot S in tires.
powerstroke01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachman
I had the same problem on my TJ, I changed the track bar, and got a adjustable one from teraflex, that solved the problem, I have a 2" lift on my jeep.
The loose trackbar didn't cause the vibration, it merely allowed it to develop. Trackbars don't by themselves start vibrating... but tires and wheels do and when the trackbar is loose, it can let the front-end start shimmying even to the point of Death Wobble. Replacing the trackbar with a newer one only masked the symptom like holding down something tighter that was trying to move around on its own. Let go and it starts up again.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
spinnjase

i just installed a BB, 1" BL and MML. for the first couple of days i had the tires i'd been using for a year (31" bfg at) and everything was ok. when i put the 33's on, then i started getting a wobble at about 45mph. my rear tires are new, but the fronts are used. i guess i'll try the self-alignment write-up on 4x4xplor. if that doesn't fix it, i'll have to wait and see if new front tires will fix it. hopefully it's not one of my new wheels outta whack.

J
spinnjase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
jonballi
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the same thing...after 1pprox 16k miles on the factory tires.
The FIX:
Balanced the tires.
jonballi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
spinnjase

got an alignment tonight, that didn't fix it. i'm going to go back to where i got the tires mounted and balanced and make em redo it.

J
spinnjase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
The Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWL
I noticed recently that between 45 and 50 MPH I get a shimmy/shake/wobble in the wheel. Going absolutely straight, it's not there, but just put a bit of twist on the steering wheel in either direction and it shakes back an forth.
The exact same thing happened to me the other day. I drove straight to the tire shop and had them rotate and balance the tires. Fixed it.

Alan
The Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 05:53 AM   #13
swoodnj

Just went through the same thing, balancing and alignment didn't help, but one tire was worn unevenly, replaced that and all is well.
[color=silver]Bright Silver[/color] Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club member #18
swoodnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 07:12 AM   #14
MikeWL

Looks like balancing fixed it. Yeah. thx again.
Unread 07-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
jonster
2014 JK Wrangler 

I was going to start the same, identical post. Now don't have to. I noticed my 'shimmy' right after I took out my 2" spacers and installed 2 1/2" springs. I did the 'doityourself' alignment and adjusted the track bar also. Still got the slight 'shimmy'. Next is the re-balancing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.