steering wheel shimmy when going over bumps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering wheel shimmy when going over bumps

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 07-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

steering wheel shimmy when going over bumps

In the last week or so I've noticed that my steering wheel (and I'm assuming font wheels) shimmies back and forth for a few seconds after I hit a bump. These are NY roads, so by bump I mean jarring bump, not smooth bump. I have a 2"BB, 1.25"BL and 1"BMML and 31" AT's. I'm going in for a front end alignment tomorrow (complements of Firestone's lifetime alignment, best $110 I've ever spent ) but should I have them check the front tires for being balanced properly too? Would an after market steering stabilizer help? I don't think theres a mechanical problem causing this because its a recent development. Probably something just thrown out of whack while wheeling? What are your guy's thoughts?

edit: Forgot to mention that this is all happening when I'm traveling somewhere in the neighborhood of 55mph.

rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
jterp
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same thing on my '02 with stock suspension. It was really bad -- violently bad -- and it turned out that I had broken a sway bar end link. With that replaced it pretty much went away, but it still there very faintly. If you find anything out let us know!
jterp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
175MM BULLDOG

I installed a Rancho stabilizer on my '05 Unlimited. It stopped the shimmy. I only have 26,000 miles on the rig! Whats up with that?
Unread 07-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Talked to my mechanic today and he's pretty confident that its just my stock steering stabilizer on its way out. Any recommendations for an after market replacement that won't burn a huge hole in my wallet?
Unread 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Steering stabilizer and Skyjacker's work fine.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
usarmyavn
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. Replaced my steering stabilizer with a Rancho and it's fine now!
usarmyavn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
Big-E
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any heavy duty stabilizer will do, just put a Superlift Stabilizer on mine yesterday. They all run about $50. Mine was not easy, could not get the old one off. The bolt through the rod had to be grinded off & drilled out. The new shock came with a new bolt.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
BoHeck

steering stabilizer fixed a problem i had like that as well

use a pitman arm puller to pull your old one off, just go slow, and i would recommend leaving the nut on the bolt on the last couple of threads, just short of removing it. when it lets go, its a LOT of released energy.
1999 TJ 4.0 manual 4.88 on 35" Pro Comp Xtreme Muds/RE 4.5" lift 3.5" springs - RE mono shocks/Dana 44 locked with ARB - Alloy USA shafts/AA SYE Tom Wood's DS/AtoZ Fab Rockers/ 60" Hanson Prerunner Style Front Bumper/Jeeperman Rear Bumper Swing Away with Side Extensions/Bestop Sailcloth tinted/Roundeyes/Infinity Sound System
BoHeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
EDGEY
2008 JK Wrangler 

One trip from LI to NYC is the equivalent to a trip out west in the mountains!

I have the same problem, steering stabilizer is next on my list to replace.

2008 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - 3"BDS, 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Mickey Thompson Sidebiters, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Smittybilt XRC Modular Bumper
EDGEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #10
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight
One trip from LI to NYC is the equivalent to a trip out west in the mountains!
I contend that one mile driven on the BQE is worse for your Jeep than a week of wheeling anywhere in the country

As far as my steering shimmy goes, I had the Jeep aligned today and the toe was actually out quite a bit, so its riding a lot better now. Ordered a new stabilizer from Rusty's too so hopefully that will get me back to being shimmy free!
Unread 07-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For everyone I know with that problem, it's ended up being a tire balance issue. This includes myself.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heres an update for anyone who is following along:

I replaced the steering stabilizer with one from Rusty's today and it seems to have eliminated the shimmy. The old stabilizer is obviously worn out because I can pull it in and out very easily by hand. The steering feels much less sloppy now (even though I didn't think it felt sloppy to begin with) and the wheel stays centered when going over bumps.

The install took all of a half hour. Using a pitman arm puller to get the tapered bolt out of the drag link really helped also. And, for once it was nice to have a project go exactly as planned, with no complications, and have a problem fixed for only $43 .
Unread 07-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
HitIt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had a very similar experience and I found my front track bar to axle bolt had worked loose. Tightened it with loctite and all has been fine for a while now.
HitIt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
BlkBird
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I believe there is a factory TSB on that issue also. Could check out alldata if interested.
1971 Pontiac Firebird
BlkBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.