steering wheel shakes when I turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering wheel shakes when I turn

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Ned97sahara

steering wheel shakes when I turn

When I make a slow turn the steering wheel jumps as if it were in four wheel drive. It doesn't shake as bad as if it were in four wheel drive but the wheel makes the same jerking motion very slightly. I can't figure out what the problem is. Did anybody ever have this problem?

Thanks
Ned

3rd jeep:2004 grand cherokee WJ special edition
W/MTR 245/75/R16's (sold for 07 Ranger)
Ned97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
Owen

Re: steering wheel shakes when I turn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned97sahara
When I make a slow turn the steering wheel jumps as if it were in four wheel drive. It doesn't shake as bad as if it were in four wheel drive but the wheel makes the same jerking motion very slightly. I can't figure out what the problem is. Did anybody ever have this problem?

Thanks
Ned
Sounds like it could be a lot of things. Do you have a dropped pitman arm? A dropped pitman arm can cause bumpsteer. Which I am assuming is what you have.

Check all the bolts on the front end to make sure they are tight. Especially the trackbar...HTH
Unread 04-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #3
Ned97sahara

Can you get bumpsteer on a stock TJ? The only thing I have done to it is put 31's on it and it seemed to start when I took my hard top and full steel doors off. At least I didn't notice it until then. Everything seems tight in the steering. Is it possible that my hubs are engaging sometimes when not in 4 wheel drive?
3rd jeep:2004 grand cherokee WJ special edition
W/MTR 245/75/R16's (sold for 07 Ranger)
Ned97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #4
young yeller
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles have you put on the 31s since you last rotated them? Although it's not necessary to rotate them every 5 grand, it's pretty important once you hit 10 or so.
Once the front tires start cupping they'll cause the steering wheel to vibrate a little, sometimes mistaken for bumpsteer.
Yellow Jeep Club Member #5
young yeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.