Steering wheel hard to turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering wheel hard to turn

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Steering wheel hard to turn

I have a 97 TJ, on cold mornings right after I start the Jeep the steering wheel is really hard to turn, almost like there's no power steering, but then after a few inches, gives way and turns easily, this happens about until I get to the end of the street and then goes away, but it only happens in the fall and winter time. Is this common? What causes this? Thanks,

Sam

samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
jeep_chinto

have you checked ur power steering fluid lvl?

iv never had the issue... if i did i didnt think any thing of it because i was probably in 2+ feet of snow.

possably empty out the power steering fluid and fill it with new?

there is also a oil company that makes power steering "oil" for lack of a better word that is made to renew seals and what ever else in the pump i for get the name of it ia ctually have it sittin next to my computer at home used it on my evo when the power steering pump was on its way out.. didnt help but it was to late..

think its called lucas oil? but they make spacific ones for all differnt things.

good luck.
jeep_chinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips, I'll check the fluid.

Sam
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Clank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a similar problem. If I park in the garage where itís warm nothing happens. If I park outside on a cold morning it whines when I make turns. It sounds like it is coming from the inside, but quits when the Jeep warms up.
Skid Row NightCrawler Bumper
Warn 8000 winch
Clank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clank
I have a similar problem. If I park in the garage where itís warm nothing happens. If I park outside on a cold morning it whines when I make turns. It sounds like it is coming from the inside, but quits when the Jeep warms up.
do you mean like this?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/moaning-when-turning-steering-wheel-203073/

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. Try bumping up the RPM's and see if it goes away. If it does, then it's probably the pump.

I think my pump is bad. The problem started after I was doing donuts in a snow covered parking lot. I probably overheated it by keeping it turned against the steering stops.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
Clank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly what wyldejackyl said. It did it today after work, but as soon as it warmed up it stopped. I guess the Jeep likes to be it the garage.
Warn 8000 winch
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Clank
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think it's the pump. My truck had a bad pump before. The noise came from the engine compartment then. Had to replaced the pump, that was fun.
Warn 8000 winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.