Steering System Maintenance / Service Bulletin 19-002-12 Steering Shimmy - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering System Maintenance / Service Bulletin 19-002-12 Steering Shimmy

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #31
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I wager yes. My '06 Rubicon only has 25k miles on it and mine are shot. But I do a lot of off road on this rig.
on saturday i'm going to do all 4 arms, all 4 balljoints, and the sway bar links (they're looking a bit rough) and see how it is.

i guess they didn't replace the balljoints afterall. they thought they did. (it's my aunt's rig)

Unread 07-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #32
asajay
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

In my opinion it -can- happen on stock rigs. It's happened on our 1995 ZJ often. Currently we aren't experiencing it, but I do think the largest contributor to the fix was replacing all the control arm bushings and the track bar.

Do I think this is a Jeep problem? Yes. Or perhaps more specifically a Chrysler problem as it also occurred on my Dad's 1993 Dodge Pickup and was diagnosed as bad control arm bushings.

However, in contrast, it -never- happened on our 1974 Jeep J20 pickup or our 1982 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Therefore in my opinion, something in the design has changed over the years and the incidence of this phenomenon has increased.

It seems to me it's more associated with newer Jeeps than older, so what changed?
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #33
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asajay View Post
In my opinion it -can- happen on stock rigs. It's happened on our 1995 ZJ often. Currently we aren't experiencing it, but I do think the largest contributor to the fix was replacing all the control arm bushings and the track bar.

Do I think this is a Jeep problem? Yes. Or perhaps more specifically a Chrysler problem as it also occurred on my Dad's 1993 Dodge Pickup and was diagnosed as bad control arm bushings.

However, in contrast, it -never- happened on our 1974 Jeep J20 pickup or our 1982 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Therefore in my opinion, something in the design has changed over the years and the incidence of this phenomenon has increased.

It seems to me it's more associated with newer Jeeps than older, so what changed?
Coil and link suspension vs. leaf springs.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #34
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Exactly.

Just to contribute This problem isn't just present in jeeps. It can happen in any vehicle with a solid front axle. You here about it in jeeps the most because many manufacturers have not put solid axles in the front for a number of years.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #35
asajay
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Aha! Very good, something I had not considered to observe but you are most certainly correct. That would explain it. Thank you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.