Steering System Maintenance / Service Bulletin 19-002-12 Steering Shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering System Maintenance / Service Bulletin 19-002-12 Steering Shimmy

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
JeepCares

TJ & JK - Steering System Maintenance/Service Bulletin 19-002-12 Steering Shimmy

There is an update available on the Steering Shimmy issue. Service Bulletin 19-002-12 has been distributed to the dealers. The Jeep Owners site been updated with the same information referenced below:

Steering System Maintenance:
It is important that the steering system be kept in good working condition. Having your vehicle inspected regularly to ensure it meets proper factory specifications, and promptly repairing the steering system when it is out of factory specifications, helps ensure the vehicle maintains its intended ride, handling and steering characteristics.
Vehicles equipped with a solid front axle may exhibit steering system vibration if the steering system is damaged or not properly maintained. This condition is not unique to Chrysler Group vehicles; any manufacturer’s vehicle equipped with a solid front axle has the potential to exhibit steering system vibration.
To ensure that Chrysler Group customers have the most relevant information to enhance their vehicle enjoyment -- and that customers receive the best service from repair facilities diagnosing and addressing steering system vibration -- the Company has issued Technical Service Bulletin 19-002-12 to assist dealers and repair facilities in the diagnosis and repair of this condition.
The following is a summary of the steering and suspension system elements that can potentially contribute to steering system vibration. Chrysler recommends having your authorized Chrysler dealer inspect these elements should you experience steering system vibration:
  • Is the vehicle equipped with aftermarket components or other modifications (e.g. lift kits, wheels, suspension components or tires) that can affect the performance of or wear upon steering components?*
  • Check the air pressure in the tires and ensure they are inflated to the recommended pressure. This value can be found on the tire placard located on the driver’s front door enclosure.
  • Inspect the tires for signs of unusual or uneven wear, cupping or other damage.
  • Ensure that the tires/wheels are balanced within specification
  • Inspect the steering damper for excessive wear or damage.**
  • Inspect the track bar for excessive wear or damage.**
  • Inspect the tie rods for excessive wear or damage.**
  • Inspect the drag link for excessive wear or damage.**
  • Inspect the ball joints for excessive wear or damage.**
* Installation of aftermarket steering and suspension components or wheel and tire assemblies that are either not compatible with your vehicle or not designed for on-road use is most often the cause of steering system vibration, in which case you may consult your aftermarket equipment manufacturer or vehicle modifier for repair suggestions
** If any of the steering or suspension components are replaced, a front end wheel alignment is required.
If you have questions regarding your vehicle, its ride and handling or steering characteristics as they may relate to steering system vibration, please consult with your authorized Chrysler Group dealer to have your vehicle inspected.

JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
* Installation of aftermarket steering and suspension components or wheel and tire assemblies that are either not compatible with your vehicle or not designed for on-road use is most often the cause of steering system vibration
I guess this is why I've seen it happen on low milage, stock vehicles.
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Bigbob

It's more of PR thing. But the actual TSB states DW is the owners issue if he/she installs aftermarket stuff. The only place you see stock Jeeps is at the dealers.
death-wobble.gif  
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The service bulletin and Bigbob's picture don't really address anything that has to do with the DW I had. Mine was definitely total axle movement. Prior to fixing mine, it would start at around 45 on the speedo. If I maintained that speed for just a few seconds, it would progress into full on DW. I could induce this at any time just by maintaining that speed. It did not require any additional outside influence. I could also avoid it by staying below that speed or steadily accelerating thru it up to about 50. I dealt with this for over 2 years and got pretty good at avoiding it.

I ordered a full set of Currie control arms, and after just installing the front lowers, I took it for a drive to see if there was any improvement. I could not induce the DW no matter what I tried. I drove it for several weeks with just the new CAs and nothing else new (I just had the front upper JJs at the axle installed this week, and I installed an IronRock tierod w/TREs last weekend). I did not replace anything else in the first few weeks, no new SS, did not have the tires balanced or rotated. Even before the new tierod and the axle JJs, I could not feel anything. No shimmy at 45, or anything else that felt like it would lead to DW.

Not saying that anything above would not solve the issues some may be having, but my DW was not caused by tierod flex, steering damper, track bar or anything else on their list. Mine was definitely the result of shot CA bushings allowing my axle to move and trying to violently remove itself from under the jeep.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Bigbob

Ditto MJBinNM, mine too is caused by the stock conrol arm bushings being shot. I am waiting for excess cash to get the curries for now. I installed a larger steering dampner bandage and it has taken care of it so far.

Again, this is mainly a PR deal. I wager Chrysler will go IFS soon.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
It's more of PR thing. But the actual TSB states DW is the owners issue if he/she installs aftermarket stuff. The only place you see stock Jeeps is at the dealers.
That's a big brush you're painting with. I know plenty with stock jeeps that are very happy.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
That's a big brush you're painting with. I know plenty with stock jeeps that are very happy.
But how many people with lifted Jeeps do you see at the dealer?

(Not counting JKs)
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I guess this is why I've seen it happen on low milage, stock vehicles.
If you have in fact seen that, I will venture that for every low mileage stock vehicle with a case of DW, there are at least a thousand NOT stock NOT low Mileage NOT maintained rigs with NON stock rims, NON stock backspacing, and aftermarket parts up the wazoo that are still blaming Chrysler. I see it on the boards way too often for it to be different.

Also, it's patently unfair of you to attempt to use the smallest statistic possible to make all this stuff Chrysler's fault.
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
But how many people with lifted Jeeps do you see at the dealer?

(Not counting JKs)
Depends. Are they at the parts department or the work bay.
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I personally do not buy into the hype. I had DW on my stock TJ at 23k miles and an alignment, balance, and rotation fixed it. I also had it at about 50k miles after I lifted it. Worn trackbar bushing at the axle end plus alignment, balance, and rotation fixed it again.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you have in fact seen that, I will venture that for every low mileage stock vehicle with a case of DW, there are at least a thousand NOT stock NOT low Mileage NOT maintained rigs with NON stock rims, NON stock backspacing, and aftermarket parts up the wazoo that are still blaming Chrysler. I see it on the boards way too often for it to be different.

Also, it's patently unfair of you to attempt to use the smallest statistic possible to make all this stuff Chrysler's fault.
I have to agree...I lifted mine, not much but it is lifted, put on larger, heavier wheels and tires then went out and flexed it, nothing crazy, but more than just tooling down your average forest road. It probably doesn't help that I live in a very dry, sometimes hot, sometimes cold climate. I know it can be hard on those rubber bushings

I can in no way blame Chrysler...but I just find it strange that they don't even mention CA bushings in their Service Bulletin...
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
MESSY
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Our bone stock 05 Rubi started to exhibit some DW at approx 35k miles. Interestingly we had a 98 Sahara that was perfect up till the day we traded it at 40 some thousand miles. The Rubi driving characteristics seem to almost change with the weather. Some days it feels good, others it's a shaky mess. Doesn't wobble excessively, but has given my wife a few scares with a couple bouts of fairly severe steering wheel oscillation. Overall I think it rides like crap compared to the 98. Hasn't been flexed excessively either. It just seems harsh. It's just over 40k now.

This ones getting cured with a full 3" Savvy lift, RS9000s, and 5 new C load range 33" MTR Kevlars.
MESSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Stock 06 TJL with 142K

Except for larger tires that I just put on, my 142k miled TJL now has the DW at about 55 instead of 50 (shouldn't if have gone down with the 31 inch tires instead of the 30's ) Can I just try to install new bushings in the control arms by myself? I am not really inept, but I am not as young as I used to be... and will have the local shop do an alignment after I install them.

Last edited by Bruce06Unltd; 08-11-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Bruce06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce06Unltd View Post
Except for larger tires that I just put on, my 142k miled TJL now has the DW at about 55 instead of 50 (shouldn't if have gone down with the 31 inch tires instead of the 30's ) Can I just try to install new bushings in the control arms by myself? I am not really inept, but I am not as young as I used to be... and will have the local shop do an alignment after it install them.
When you say it starts at 55 instead of 50. Does that mean you had it before the new tires? Does it feel as if your axle is trying to violently extract itself from the vehicle, or is it an annoying side to side shimmy?

With that many miles, I would bet there are other contributors to your DW. You should really check everything under there. Look closely at your track bar also.

If you are using stock arms, it's a lot easier and only a little more money to replace the whole arm. The arms a just bent/stamped sheet metal and the bushings are pressed in. It can be very difficult to remove/replace them.
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Bruce06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought it in January

And drove it home from NY with no problem...When I got it inspected in PA, they put a new front axle U joint in it and I noticed the Wobble the next time I drove it off road (just dirt forest roads, nothing radical) and got to 50 MPH we both noticed it was shaking like the wheels were gonna fall off. It smoothed out at 55, so I just sped the rest of the way home. I knew it needed new tires and I bought a used set of 5 of 31's, including wheels, for $125 from a guy who took them off an 04 TJ and said they didn't wobble. Noticed that the wobble was at 55 MPH then. Didn't make sense to me, but a couple surf fishing (soft NJ sand) trips to the beach with it didn't seem to matter. The guys in the garage that inspected it would have noticed something, but I will have them look again once I replace the bushing...or the arms, as you suggest. Thanks.
Bruce06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.