Steering Stabilizer - thoughts on symptoms? - JeepForum.com

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raist11
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Steering Stabilizer - thoughts on symptoms?

Alright I'm down to a couple weeks till we hop in the motorhome and go camping. I finished the gas tank skid and now back to steering issues:

The Jeep's steering sort of binds at times. But otherwise it seems to turn okay. When bleeding the new gear box the wheels sort of stuttered as I turned from lock to lock. Now there is a definite dry old rubber squeak as I turn the wheels back and forth that seems to come from the steering stabilizer.

Is it possible that the steering stabilizer is so bad that its stiffened up to where it binds up the steering in a shuddering sort of way? I took it into a shop that tells me the ball joints are seized and the stabilizer is shot. But the wheel seems to turn easily enough (other than the stutter) that I wonder if the balljoint was seized, wouldnt it be tougher to turn?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Current: '00 TJ Sport
Past: '98 TJ Sport - lots of aftermarket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I seriously doubt that problem is caused by the steering stabilizer which is is more correctly called a steering damper. It's easily removed to eliminate that as a possibility, you could drive just fine without it. My bet is the steering box is toast and the cause of your problem, though I guess the ball joints could also cause that problem but they'd have to be REALLY bad to cause that.

A friend's TJ I was storing & driving a bunch for him to help him out had the same kind of jerky steering, I hated driving it. It had a bad steering box.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I really really dont want it to be the steering gear box. I've replaced the dang thing three times now. First new one was a cardone but after that it was a different brand. Msybe I'll pull the damper and see how it behaves.

Keep in mind this Jeep was from British Columbia, Canada and is VERY rusty underneath. My gas tank skid fell apart as I removed it. So the ball joints could be REALLY bad.. but the alignment was within spec, camber only out by half a degree but still in green.

Yeah I noticed some places call it a damper, some say stabilizer.
ottomatic834 likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Why not just take the stabilizer off or unmounts from one end and try to compress / decompress it. See how it feels.

I had a stabilizer that was so worn it was binding close to full compression, but couldn't never make it to full.

I am from BC and can attest to some rust...but not a lot. We don't ever get snow here , especially in the lower mainland. Unless the jeep was from up North in BC I can relate.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well popped it off, seems better but the main issue when driving is still there. Best way I heard it described was memory steer.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post

I am from BC and can attest to some rust...but not a lot. We don't ever get snow here , especially in the lower mainland. Unless the jeep was from up North in BC I can relate.
I suppose its a myth from back when I was young. People always said BC vehicles had more rust.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post
I suppose its a myth from back when I was young. People always said BC vehicles had more rust.
I think its more of a East coast thing as they use salt on their roads. Here in most parts of BC its sand IF we get icy/frosty temps

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist11 View Post
People always said BC vehicles had more rust.
BC? (Before Christ).No rust protection back then.
Raist11 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.