Steering stabilizer suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering stabilizer suggestions?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
tombo1787
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Steering stabilizer suggestions?

Hey guys, I just bought bought a 2005 TJ from a first time jeep owner, and it has become obvious why he was so adamant about selling it. I have encountered the "DEATH WOBBLE". I have owned a jeep before so no surprise here. I am going to start with the steering stabilizer, any suggestions on replacement brands? ex. Rubicon express, Skyjacker, Rancho, old man emu.
Your input will be valued, thanks guys

tombo1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

A steering stabilizer will not cure the DW. Maybe at best a band-aid fix.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

fix whatever is loose in the steering/suspension, and then after you fix the DW you can get a new SS if you feel its necessary.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ yep steering stabilizers wont fix Death wobble it will just hide it, once you fix it any steering stabilizers will do, one is not that much better then another they will all do the job
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you're insistent on a new steering stabilizer then it doesn't really matter which kind - they're all going to work the same.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
tombo1787
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I agree it won't completely fix my problem, but I was just going to start there. My XJ, the problem was a combination of the wheels being balanced and the steering stab. I was just looking, but thanks for the advise. I'm not trying to start another DW thread. Thanks again
tombo1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/de...o-fun-1256318/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
chaserLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any kind would work, there all the same
chaserLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My parts store sold me a skyjacker. It is not the same. It's a different length than stock and therefore makes it pull to the left... or right.. or not... really it depends on what position it was in when my linkages realligned. needless to say, it's getting chucked the parts store is now boycotted, and I'm probably just going to Napa and getting a stock replacement. What all these posts fail to mention is that yeah, "they're all the same" unless you are running huge tires or etc, so just get a decent stock replacement. I shoulda knew...
mikecraigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecraigen View Post
What all these posts fail to mention is that yeah, "they're all the same" unless you are running huge tires or etc
huh? tire size doesn't have any effect on the stabilizer choice....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecraigen View Post
It's a different length than stock and therefore makes it pull to the left... or right.. or not...
The latter ...
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

this would fall into that "etc. category" obviously to fit the big n' meaties I had to do some tweaking in the spring department - so I ordered a new stabilizer to match the shiny new shocks I got, and for some reason I got a stabilizer far too long for my jeep. They should be all the same, yes agreed; still some shocks are a little more robust than others in regards to piston size which I wanted for my new heavier tires. Some are the wrong part number altogether. I got a different length stabilizer than what I thought I ordered, because a local store ordered it wrong for me. I'm guessing he ordered longer shocks all around so 'lets add some inches to the stabilizer too'... It's just one of those didn't-see-em-comings when cutomizing. I'd like another Skyjacker unit - just like I originally intended, but like it is - They're pretty much all the same. - That clear that up then?
mikecraigen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death , stabilizer , steering , suspension , wobble

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.