Steering Stabilizer Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Stabilizer Removal

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-18-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
jdubb1000

Steering Stabilizer Removal

What is the best way to remove the stock SS? I took the nut off (towards the center of the jeep) and beat the bolt. Did I just not beat hard enough or what? Also how hard is the other side (towards the passenger side). Thanks All!

jdubb1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
alabama sahara

If I am not mistaken on what your talking about, the bolt 'does not' come out. The Shock slips over the bolt shaft, and the new one just slips back on over the existing bolt. The nut is all you have to remove.
alabama sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb1000
What is the best way to remove the stock SS? I took the nut off (towards the center of the jeep) and beat the bolt. Did I just not beat hard enough or what? Also how hard is the other side (towards the passenger side). Thanks All!
I posted the exact same question one day...

the answer came back as: GET A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

It's a tapered bolt, and assuming you got a new one (or a straight bolt with a tapered sleeve like I did) with your new SS, you won't care what kind of shape it's in...

I went back outside and it took about 3 good whacks and it popped out...

some people have success with tapping directly on the side of the spot the bolt goes through to loosen it a bit, then give it a good whack on the end...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

here's my post:

steering stabilizer install

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
onyx
1995 ZJ 

lmao i just started a new lift on my 95 zj i hit it i used a pitman puller and everything else i can think of the pitman puller pushed so hard the bolt shortened and spread out the sides so now i cant even remove it
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
man44a
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine bent when I used the pitman arm puller, or rather crushed. I had to cut the end off with my dremel. Best tip I could give would be use pb blaster and hammer. Keep soaking and hammering till it pops out.
man44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
reddirtTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine two weeks ago and I called one of my buddies with the same question. He told me to give my wife the hammer... needless to say it only took a few more swings. It's in there solid.

"TJ's and CJ's are Jeeps. BJ's are something else entirely. I can only help you with the first two." Sundowner
reddirtTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

get a torch and bigger hammer.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Nasmith1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

go to the nearest auto zone and by using their loan-a-tool program (free) get the small pitman arm puller for small foreigh cars. it will force the bolt right out.

when using that program you pay for the tool, but they refund the entire amount upon the tools return. you could buy one, but I broke mine, so I recommend borrowing.
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
alramr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The stabilizer on my Jeep was OEM. First, I used PB blaster, then I beat on the area where the bolt is and then used a propane torch. After all this, I noticed there was a hexagonal shape on the bolt portion. I used an open ended wrench and hammer to loosen. I am not referring to the castlenut either.
alramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Overheat
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't have a gear or pitman arm puller, it can be done with a bfh and a bar. Leave the shock/dampener attached near the wheel. Then, put the bar between the tie rod and the shock absorber rod so that you have strong pressure (you will probably bend the shock absorber rod if you are doing it right). Next, while it's under pressure, whack it with a bfh. You might get lucky and pop it from the bottom, or you may need to smack it a few times on the tie rod where the bolt passes through. When it comes off, it will come off with a loud pop. Despite tons of overnight penetrating oil, mine was dry as a bone. The trick is banging on it while it is under adequate pressure. If you have a puller, that should give you adequate pressure to bust it loose with the hammer from the side, but it isn't necessary to drop the money if you don't already own one.
Overheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you're hitting the drag link where the SS bolt passes through and not the actual bolt.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.