steering stabilizer needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering stabilizer needed?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!

Unread 06-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
03Wrangler

steering stabilizer needed?

When i go 50-54 my jeep will shake once i hit a bump and some times just because i'm moving... it does it when i go faster, but not as much as 50-54mph ...

will a steering stabilizer help this? or what else is needed to be looked at?

does it while accelerating, idling, and braking... shakes the whole jeep, passengers feel it..

is this a small case of death wobble?

03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
jaykudach
2004 TJ Wrangler 

your jeep should have a stock stabilizer on it already- although it may be going bad...

my jeep started having the same issue when i put a 2" BB in. i think mostly do to an alignment issue.

Since having it aligned it still will wobble on occasion (more then before i modified the suspension) but not nearly as much or as severe.

it could possibly be a tire balance issue in the front as well.

have you made any suspension/ tire changes lately?
jaykudach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
ranger140892
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A new stabilizer won't solve your problem. Look at: Wheel balance, loose and or worn steering and suspension components.
ranger140892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
03Wrangler

i rotated my tires so that the fronts are now in the rear and visa versa, it did not help at all... no changes but the tire rotation, it was doing it prior...

think i should go get my tires re-balanced first?
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is the suspension all stock? Has it always had this issue or started recently?
Unread 06-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
03Wrangler

suspension is all stock besides some napa shocks which i bought a little over a month ago...

it has only done it for the past 2 weeks....
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So what does a stearing stabilizer do then? If it doesn't improve anything... how do you know if the old stock one has gone bad? I'm not saying this is the culprit of the original posters problem... but it's a cheap upgrade so why not put it on? It's got to help a little.
BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
ranger140892
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
So what does a stearing stabilizer do then? If it doesn't improve anything... how do you know if the old stock one has gone bad? I'm not saying this is the culprit of the original posters problem... but it's a cheap upgrade so why not put it on? It's got to help a little.
It protects the steering gear from shock & damage. If you've got other problems, the stabilizer won't cure it.

If your suspension and steering components are in good order, you can run with no stabilizer and not get any wobble. Not advisable though.
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I put a 2 inch lift and 32's... with a 1 mml and a 1.25 body lift... upgrading the stabilizer will do absolutely nothing??
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
ranger140892
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
So I put a 2 inch lift and 32's... with a 1 mml and a 1.25 body lift... upgrading the stabilizer will do absolutely nothing??
Not exactly. If you're running large tires, an upgraded stabilizer WILL help reduce shock and wear in the steering gear box. It's just not going to stop any death wobble.

Death wobble is caused by faulty components downstream of the stabilizer.
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any opinions on brand? I see Skyjacker, OME, and Rancho talked about a lot. I figured at $50 it's not a bad thing to swap out since I've got 150,000 miles and an original.
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If your all stock I think it is unlikely you have the death wobble issues that you see with lifts. Similar maybe, not the same.

The first thing I suggest is to remove the stabilzer itself or atleast one of the ends. Try and collapse and extend the stabilizer. As long as there is moderate resistance each way it is still good. Either way it will not cause the problem but a nice one can help to cover up the problem. Kinda like painting over rust.

If you have already swapped the wheels front to back and there was NO change then I doubt it is a tire issue. It never hurts to check balance often on the tires and many places will do it free, charge to fiz them if they are off. Watch and make sure they are actually removing the weights and installing new ones if they say it has to be done.

I would also check all the tie rod ends and ball joints. If you have one loose then that can cause these issues. I have also seen track bars come loose and cause the same effect. Get under there and do some twisting to check the joints. Grease everything up and put proper torque on all the joints and bolts. Make sure and check the control arm bolts also.
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check the trackbar bolt at the axle, should be 55ft-lbs. It can appear fine but be loose enough to cause problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
03Wrangler

i was under there and nothing appeared to be loose...

i'll go take my tires to be balanced, and if that doesnt fix it, then i'll do the stabilizer check like mentioned above...

which is the trackbar?
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
ranger140892
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Wrangler View Post
i was under there and nothing appeared to be loose...

i'll go take my tires to be balanced, and if that doesnt fix it, then i'll do the stabilizer check like mentioned above...

which is the trackbar?
"Appeared" don't get it. You can't see tight. Put wrenches to bolts. Preferably torque wrenches.

Track bars are the diagonal round bars that keep axle aligned under frame. Front goes from drivers side frame to passenger side axle. Rear is opposite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.